Ballistic Nylon Backing--Slippery?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Those that opted for the ballistic nylon back for the Droid Turbo--do you think the phone is slippery?

Is it more or less slippery than your previous phone? (Please list previous phone make/model)

Is it easier or harder to slide in and out of your pocket than your previous phone? (Please note if you are using a case or not.)

I'm 12 days away from my current contract expiring and being eligible to convert to Edge and get the $100 credit. Got my eye on the ballistic nylon 64 GB model. When handling it in the store, albeit with security tether attached, it seems slippery in my hand. I have never put a case on any phone I've owned and I don't plan on doing so with the Turbo. But I am wondering if those that have had ballistic nylon for a while find it to be slippery?

sbb

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The ballistic nylon Droid Turbo is slicker than my Droid Maxx (now my son's phone). I bought the Tech21 case after using the phone for one day. I never had a case on my Droid Maxx.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I think the BN is slippery.

I had the Maxx and I think the BN is a little more slippery than the Maxx, but I could be mistaken.

The phone goes in and out of my pockets just fine.

I had a case on my Maxx, but I am generally going without one now. Of course, that may change when I drop it and scuff it up! Good luck with your purchase.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Those that opted for the ballistic nylon back for the Droid Turbo--do you think the phone is slippery?

Is it more or less slippery than your previous phone? (Please list previous phone make/model)

Is it easier or harder to slide in and out of your pocket than your previous phone? (Please note if you are using a case or not.)

I'm 12 days away from my current contract expiring and being eligible to convert to Edge and get the $100 credit. Got my eye on the ballistic nylon 64 GB model. When handling it in the store, albeit with security tether attached, it seems slippery in my hand. I have never put a case on any phone I've owned and I don't plan on doing so with the Turbo. But I am wondering if those that have had ballistic nylon for a while find it to be slippery?

• I don't think it's any more slippery than any other non-case device.
  • Sliding in and out of my pocket seems to be about the same as other phones.
  • I bought the BN because I didn't think it needed a case. I still don't.

Pocketnow did a review of the BN 64GB Turbo on YouTube where they put it through the ringer. They even dropped it in a puddle. (I know, it's not supposed to be dunked.) They dropped it. You could see the marks on the rubber casing and it collected dirt in the nylon. All in all, the phone feels pretty tough. I do not plan on purchasing a case.

Now if you want to feel slippery, check out the Sony Z3v at the store. It'll fly out of your hand. I saw a Turbo Z3v comparison on YouTube today where she dropped the Sony several times on the table.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Compared to the Kevlar turbo is is slicker. I don't think it's slicker then other phones now. the sides are rubberized aluminum that has some grip to it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Didn't feel slippery in the store, but mine was in a case before I walked out. I didn't buy it for the Ballistic Nylon, but for the 64 GB. Might have gotten the red if it had been offered in 64. I holster on my hip and the Verizon shell/holster works just fine for me. Had an earlier phone slip out of my shirt pocket so never felt comfortable after that.

But back to the topic, I actually thought the other two phones were slippier than the BN. I'm sure some who carry the BN naked will chime in.
edison

stevenmh72

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Definitely slicker than the kevlar on my RAZR Maxx HD. I carried that phone naked for two years. I could set it down on my pants leg and it would stay there. The Turbo just slides off. Ended up getting a case for it after a week of it sliding around, and eventually fumbled it onto the asphalt. I could tell in the store that the glass fiber was closer in feel to the kevlar, and would have gotten that if it was available in 64GB.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely slicker than the kevlar on my RAZR Maxx HD. I carried that phone naked for two years. I could set it down on my pants leg and it would stay there. The Turbo just slides off. Ended up getting a case for it after a week of it sliding around, and eventually fumbled it onto the asphalt. I could tell in the store that the glass fiber was closer in feel to the kevlar, and would have gotten that if it was available in 64GB.

Very relevant to me as I still have my RMHD. Noticed that the glass fiber is most like the back on my RMHD, but I've got to get the 64GB version, so ballistic nylon it will be.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have found the ballistic nylon to be more slippery than my Moto X Leather backed phone (that was slightly tacky). However, I find the sides of the Turbo to be grippier than the Moto X. I tend to hold the phones by the sides, and rely less on the friction of the back itself, when the phone is in my palm. For that reason, I actually feel like the turbo is less likely to slip out of my hand than my X was.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it's slippery, but I have experience with BN already so I knew this. I can't use the phone on a table with it sliding around, that's how bad it is. However interestingly, the BN material makes my fingertips sweat so it actually feels really grippy sometimes, but with the winter setting in, not so much.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I checked out this phone the other day at VZ and I liked the feel...didn't seem to slippery to me but that was just at the store. I did feel though that after 2 years it'd be packed with sweat, food, dust, and just general smeg so I'm gonna pass on the BN, however the kevlar seemed decent but 32 compared to the 64 isn't too thrilling. Still undecided on which phone to get.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Another ex-rmhd owner. I used to set my rmhd on my arm rest in my truck and it wouldn't budge.

When I set my turbo on the same fake leather arm rest, the turbo slides right off of it when I drive or brake.

Something I have to get used to, I guess, but at least now I know that this phone can take a hard hit to the dashboard.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the BN back on my Turbo. I chose it because I liked the look of it, not for grip. I thought the glass fiber back on the black model is the more 'grippy' of the three options and more similar to my previous phone (BlackBerry Z30) and my son's old Droid RAZR HD. As others have stated, I find the sides to have a nice grip. I use the kick stand holster case for when I'm at work, but typically have it out of the case outside of work.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non