How do I find out what is eating up my data?

Hokie_Lisa

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Questions about Wifi and Data

Hi everyone!

I have the Droid Turbo and love it with one massive exception. There is something that is sucking all my data. When I had the S3, I very rarely got to 1 gig of data a month and last month I easily used 2 gig (my plan limit) and this month it looks the same. I am not using my phone any differently than I did with the S3. I found on another forum that there is a bug with some of the phones? Have you guys heard about this?

Also, what does the x on the wifi bars mean? I will see two or three bars and a little x pop up sometimes.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Questions about Wifi and Data

I talked to Verizon about this and they said a fix is coming but in the meantime this should fix it:

1. Turn off wi-fi
2. turn on airplane mode
3. connect to wi-fi again
4. turn off airplane mode

This should fix it.

bosanci

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Regarding the Wifi and Data ...

Data: I also use it normal or even less , i only check my gmail , facebook once in a while, and few times a day i load few pages to check for few
seconds some stuff ( webmaster design related), but as i am at home , most of the time all day long, i am connected to wifi , but for some reason, my plan with vzn is at 1gb / m (data) , and from the Nov 21-2014 when i got the droid turbo (64gb) , i am at 415mb gone , and i see some data showing up as
0.00002 , 0.00004, etc ... but my wifi is on all the time when i am home! , and now 11 days later , all most half is gone from my data, and have 19 days more to go... what is causing this , to eat my data if the wifi is on? (also see attached picture)

Wifi: As i stated above that i am connected to my wifi all day at home , on the wifi icon , there is a small icon , that comes and goes (see video), what
is that? there?

Video:

Is it the signal comes and goes?

Thank you for advice on this.

Attachments

• vzn-2.jpg
    vzn-2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 105
  • vzn-3.jpg
    vzn-3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 44

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep, this is apparently a known issue with the Turbo (there have been multiple threads about this if you do some searching.) For some reason there is a bug that counts any data used on WiFi on the Turbo as mobile data. You should be able to call Verizon if you go over your allowance and get a credit for any overages - Verizon knows about this issue.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

I wonder why it's affecting some phones and not others. Thankfully I'm having none of these issues.

sent turbo fast

bosanci

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

I see... will have to call vzn.

Now how about the wifi icon, in the video , what is that ? wifi turning on and off? or...

Thanks

Hokie_Lisa

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

I talked to Verizon about this and they said a fix is coming but in the meantime this should fix it:

1. Turn off wi-fi
2. turn on airplane mode

This should fix it.

That is what they said. We will see what happens. The people were OK to deal with, just having to explain to them that I am not an ***** was difficult. When Verizon is showing I have used 1.235 GB of my 2 GB limit and my phone says I only used .32 GB of mobile, you know something is wrong.

bosanci

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Well i still have that little x blinking up on my wifi...not sure whats about,,,

As for the data , called vzn , and they don't know why, but got upgraded to 2gb data for free (coming from 1gb)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Wifi: As i stated above that i am connected to my wifi all day at home , on the wifi icon , there is a small icon , that comes and goes (see video), what
is that? there?

That's normal, sort of. When data is being transmitted it has that arrow you are seeing when it receives data, and one at the top of the icon when you are sending data. It's a bit weird that there is only receiving and not sending, but that's just showing you that there is activity on the WiFi interface.

bosanci

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

That's normal, sort of. When data is being transmitted it has that arrow you are seeing when it receives data, and one at the top of the icon when you are sending data. It's a bit weird that there is only receiving and not sending, but that's just showing you that there is activity on the WiFi interface.

Thanks for that info...

All okay , i have till friday to decide to stay or go for other phone... maybe the note4 , One think that i don't like is when i talking to someone , if i depart about 1 inch to 1.5 inch from my mouth , they all most can't hear me , very low.. i mean for someone to clear hear me ,i got to press the phone to my face! , and my note2 and the other galaxy s5 , don't have this problem! So i have 1,2 days to decide...stay with the turbo, or jump and get the note 4.

O boy... hard decision.

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Just compared data usage on my Turbo vs my MAXX and did not see any noticeable difference. In the screen shot above, .00001 GB changes to 0.0 when viewed in KB. Perhaps if there were a byte option it might show several bytes of data transfer. This is likely the normal data transfer when the network is polling your phone to see if it is active. No doubt, if you are in a fringe area, your phone will drop in/out frequently causing more polling.

Check all apps that you are running. Location based apps are likely to poll over the network frequently, and may send all sorts of data. I have had my phone since 11/18 and with average use away from WiFi I have used about 300MB.

Be mindful of the apps you use and the "permissions" associated with their use. I disable many of mine when I am not actually using them. JMT....

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

1. Turn off wi-fi
2. turn on airplane mode

This should fix it.

Did they say you should do this just once or every time you connect to a WiFi access point? In other words, if you leave home and then come back, do you have to do this again, or is it just one time?

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Did they say you should do this just once or every time you connect to a WiFi access point? In other words, if you leave home and then come back, do you have to do this again, or is it just one time?

They told me just once... but not sure how it "sticks" even when you turn off the phone. Also, I'm eating up data at an abnormal rate as well and my phone info DOES match the Verizon website. Lots of weirdness going on with this.

Drachenfire

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I wonder why it's affecting some phones and not others. Thankfully I'm having none of these issues.

sent turbo fast

Perhaps we can all compare models and see if it is affecting one more than the other. I have the 64GB Ballistic Nylon model and have not experienced the problem.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

While I don't have a problem (yet) my Verizon measure is nearly double the phone data. In my case it appears Zedge is the primary suspect. Not only is it the heaviest user of data it's also never been used away from home where it's always on WiFi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer