Switching from Messaging to Messages+

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have heard some good things about the vzw message+ app so thought I'd use it for a day or so.

So, I opened it up and it asked if I wanted to use it as my messaging app and I said yes... Then it proceeded to start buzzing as every text I've gotten for the past few weeks started coming in.

It's up to 80 something now...

Posted via the Android Central App

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I remember that when I switched over on my last phone. When it imports your old messages on the phone it interprets them as new.

If you get through that though I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the it.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I started using Message+ and really liked it. It syncs to my iPad, iPhone, my desk PC, and of course my Droid Turbo. But...it doesn't appear to be default setting in Moto Assist for driving. When an inbound text comes in and I reply...it doesnt allow me to use Message+...it uses Google Voice or stock messager

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused by this too. I use Hangouts primarily for messaging but I'm intrigued with message+ but I want them all to sync and play nicely. So far I just don't know what to do.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Just try it. When you start using it for the first time though, all the messages currently on your phone will appear as "new" messages. Not a huge deal, but it can be slightly annoying. You can mark all messages as read in the top left menu. Also in the settings you'll want to "subscribe to Verizon integrated messages" if you want this to work for other devices.

If you want it to work cross platform, just download the Verizon messages app to your tablet after starting the service on your phone. It'll ask your number and Verizon login info, after that your messages will sync on that device via WiFi.

As for the web based client, just google Verizon messages, and do the same deal.

If you don't like the service, all you have to do is switch back to hangouts. Disable the "integrate Verizon messages" setting on your phone and delete the app from the tablet. Easy as pie.

Last edited:

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I use Google messenger and have never gone back to any other sms app again. It's so stable and best part is that you can send and receive mms through WiFi instead of always data

jimmytheyank

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Used hangouts for sms, which started crashing, so I switched to Google messenger. Love it. Simple and clean.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Is there any additional monthly charge from Verizon for Message + ?

Besides syncing (which I have no need for at this time), what are the advantages over stock messaging ?

tia

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Besides syncing (which I have no need for at this time), what are the advantages over stock messaging ?

tia

Greater customization, colors, backgrounds, emojis, fonts, and you can assign custom notification sounds to conversations (note: not to contacts, but to conversations, although if you assign a custom notification sound to an individual conversation and don't delete it, every time you get a text from that person the custom sound will be activated, meaning by the sound tone you will be able to know who is texting you without looking at your phone.)

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

tia
No, it's a free alternative. I actually like it quite a bit. I love the ability to use any color or background image, select the style & size of the font and customization of the conversation bubbles. You can also manipulate images (collages, etc.) within the app.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
The stock messaging app is driving me bonkers. On my RAZR Maxx I was able to open a conversation, long press on one message and it would be check marked while a separate menu appeared at the top of the screen. I could then tap as many other single messages (giving them a check mark too) and click the trash can and delete all of them in a few seconds time.

With the Turbo's stock messaging app, there is no longer a mass delete option. Now, when I long press to select a single message a separate popup menu gives me options to forward, delete, info, etc. I hit delete. It asks are you sure. I click delete again. All of that just to delete only one single message. Ugh!

There has got to be a way for me to get my mass delete capability back!

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I use the message+ instead of hangouts because I prefer a dark themed message app and I couldn't get that with hangouts. The customizability of message+ is also a fun addition

(LG G3 user here. So stock message app was crap to begin with)

Posted via Android Central App

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah #KA10TE the Turbo stock message app is lacking in features. But, it makes up for that with its speed. It's extremely fast and never lags. I prefer either Verizon's Message+ or Google's Messenger app. Unfortunately, MOTO's driving mode works best with the Turbo's stock messaging app. I like making making/receiving calls and sending/receiving SMS hands free. It is amazing accurate too! Unless there is lots of background noise in the car, it's rare the Turbo/Moto voice recognition or transcription makes a mistake.

Sent using Tapatalk

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Textra does give me the mass delete option. Been playing with it for a short while here. There's just too many other bells and whistles included that may be right up the alley for others, but not for me. Even though it gives me the one ability the stock messaging app lacks (IMO), I believe I will be uninstalling Textra.

Agreed that the stock app is much faster and smoother than that of my old Razr Maxx. I will just have to grin and bear it and hope that perhaps, maybe, someday they re-add the mass delete option. Textra works, I'll give them that, but it's just over the top for me and I can't justify keeping it for only one (of it's many) differences.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
KA1OTE, you might want to try 8SMS. I used it on my Maxx HD. It seems very similar to the stock app. Not sure if it has mass delete option though, as I haven't used it for months.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
After seeing this thread resurrected I tried the Google messenger app. Didn't even know it was there. It's great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress