Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the DROID TURBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRevs

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I find it hilarious that the Droid Maxx 2 didn't receive a single update for months and then all of a sudden BOOM! Marshmallow. For the Turbo, months pass and it gets a small security patch... Bottom line, this phone is pretty much going to be the final pick, the last guy in the kickball teammate selection in middle school, mainly because it's just not "hip" anymore. Everyone is talking about Nexus 6P, the cliché-esq Samsung phones, LG G4/5, or Moto flagships like the Moto X Pure Edition (lol, everyone goes crazy over that one). The DROID line is dying, and I believe it's because of the way they are advertised.

You would think that this phone would have gotten plenty of attention, as it was one of the first (if not THE first) device to utilize the QuickCharge tech ("40% in just 15 minutes") and a whopping 3,900mAh battery! There weren't that many ads for it at the time, or at least not as many as Samsung or anyone else.
I didn't even know much about it until I was at Verizon getting it. (In fact, I was interested at the Moto X 2014). You had to SEE IT to enjoy it. Maybe it should have been branded "MOTO" Turbo.
Now, because of poor sales, Verizon probably wants to forget about it, not invest money in it, and put it last in line for updates.
So, until all other Verizon phones get updated, the Turbo is going to have to wait...

My prediction: OTA for Android 6.X.X Marshmallow for Droid Turbo (2014) will commence on August 1st 2016.

Last edited:

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I find it hilarious that the Droid Maxx 2 didn't receive a single update for months and then all of a sudden BOOM! Marshmallow. For the Turbo, months pass and it gets a small security patch... Bottom line, this phone is pretty much going to be the final pick, the last guy in the kickball teammate selection in middle school, mainly because it's just not "hip" anymore. Everyone is talking about Nexus 6P, the cliché-esq Samsung phones, LG G4/5, or Moto flagships like the Moto X Pure Edition (lol, everyone goes crazy over that one). The DROID line is dying, and I believe it's because of the way they are advertised.

You would think that this phone would have gotten plenty of attention, as it was one of the first (if not THE first) device to utilize the QuickCharge tech ("40% in just 15 minutes") and a whopping 3,900mAh battery! There weren't that many ads for it at the time, or at least not as many as Samsung or anyone else.
I didn't even know much about it until I was at Verizon getting it. (In fact, I was interested at the Moto X 2014). You had to SEE IT to enjoy it. Maybe it should have been branded "MOTO" Turbo.
Now, because of poor sales, Verizon probably wants to forget about it, not invest money in it, and put it last in line for updates.
So, until all other Verizon phones get updated, the Turbo is going to have to wait...

My prediction: OTA for Android 6.X.X Marshmallow for Droid Turbo (2014) will commence on August 1st 2016.

The Samsung Galaxy 5 had a quick charger before the Turbo .

If the Droid Turbo line is dieing ,why did they create the Droid Turbo 2 .

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

This. (Though not Verizon phones, but Droid phones.) All newer Droids are updated.

Older phones *always* get updates after their newer replacements. If you expected anything else you were expecting wrong.

The only issue may be the timing of N. It is somewhat possible that Moto starts working on N upgrades for newer phones if it comes out before the turbo gets M.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It's entirely possible the Turbo gets the same treatment as the original Droid Maxx. At some point, they'll tell us the are no longer any plans to update the Turbo to Marshmallow.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's entirely possible the Turbo gets the same treatment as the original Droid Maxx. At some point, they'll tell us the are no longer any plans to update the Turbo to Marshmallow.

I honestly doubt that this will be the case. Remember that the Droid Maxx was a hybrid system on a chip design by Motorola (S4Pro with some other custom components), while the Turbo uses a standard Qualcomm Snapdragon 805. I believe that a lot of the reason that the Maxx wasn't updated was that Motorola couldn't get drivers working right on L for a long time and, by the time that they did, it meant delaying newer phone development.

It's possible it won't be updated, but, again, I'm 95% sure that the Turbo gets its final version update to M.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess you weren't paying attention when it came to software updates for Android - even when Google went to carriers and OEMs to try and work this out they were only looking for 18 months of updates. The 2 year limit for the Droid Turbo (Fall 2014) is almost hear. You had a delayed update to Lollipop that was a disaster for all the "quick updates". There are way too many Moto phones NEWER than the Turbo that will get updated first and the Turbo may never get Marshmallow. If you phone is working well then accept that you will get two or more years out of a Flagship and buy a new phone if you want a new OS. If you really, really want the latest and greatest then the your best choice is an unlocked Nexus 5X (32 GB models under $300) or Nexus 6P (on sale for as little as $450) - both of which work on Verizon. I would not buy any Motos any more because Lenovo has shown they don't care and may even drop the Moto brand/company.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well if the Galaxy Note Edge just for marshmallow, perhaps the turbo will get it this summer. Other than the horrible volume the phone still rocks.

Posted via the Android Central App

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well if the Galaxy Note Edge just for marshmallow, perhaps the turbo will get it this summer. Other than the horrible volume the phone still rocks.

Posted via the Android Central App
I have a Droid Turbo (spare line), it runs very smooth with Lollipop, never lags. I briefly owned a Turbo2 which was upgraded to Marshmallow. It ran smooth as well. But the upgrade from the Turbo to Turbo2 was insignificant, so I returned the Turbo2 and got the S7 Edge.

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I just want M to see if it helps my battery. My Turbo battery was great until 5.1. Now I can barely make it one full day. It's either 5.1 or one of my apps. I have an S7 for work and it lasts min 2 days and that's with Bluetooth and gos turned on. My turbo has gps and BT off all the time.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My Turbo has been running fine since I got it. Not sure I want/need M.
Can I block it from installing?

ETA - will be looking at the Note 7 next month

Last edited:

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My Turbo has been running fine since I got it. Not sure I want/need M.
Can I block it from installing?

ETA - will be looking at the Note 7 next month

I wasn't looking for performance improvements but M offers app-level permissions, which I think was desperately overdue. On my Turbo I had something like 15 apps that I refused to update because the new versions requested permissions I considered unnecessary and invasive. With M I get to decide what permissions an app is allowed to use on my phone. No, Audible, you don't get access to my contacts. No, FB Messenger, you don't get access to my location (or six other unneeded permissions), and Shazam - you only get access to my microphone, not my camera, contacts, location, storage, which I HAD to give you before - and so on. One of the things that bothered me most about Android is just gone with this update.

Posted via the 10

gilgamess3

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Ridiculous Droid Turbo

Hi; do you think Marshmallow could ruin the droid turbo? And could I, eventually, refuse the M upgrading? If yes, how? Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez