Storage Went Away

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I randomly got a notification saying that I was low on storage and if I wanted to free up some space. I found this to be odd since I don't really download very much stuff. I have very little music on my phone and no movies or TV shows.

So I went into the storage section of the settings and it said I only had 900M of space available. I have the 32Gig version But I am unable to see what is taking up all of the space as it just says "Calculating..." for all of the categories. If you try to click on any of the categories, it just takes you to the photo gallery app.

Screenshot_2016-06-20-16-20-49.jpg

I have been having a lot of issues with the phone in the past few weeks such as overheating, not turning on and turning itself off when being charged to 100% sometimes.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or have any experience with a similar issue?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered a reset? Or perhaps a massive media pull from the phone to maybe clear up some space?

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I will probably move forward with a factory reset but I want to know what is causing this issue before doing that.

Below is a screenshot of the DiskUsage report. I am not really sure how the apps can be taking up this much space as they never were before.

Screenshot_2016-06-21-11-00-49.jpg

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I will probably move forward with a factory reset but I want to know what is causing this issue before doing that.

Below is a screenshot of the DiskUsage report. I am not really sure how the apps can be taking up this much space as they never were before.

View attachment 230532
881865e6b74e696c130b3deb7bf73c61.jpg

As you can see, I have a sh*t-ton (around 200) of apps, but none have large files. I'll betcha there are large caches in there. There's an option to wipe the cache in stock recovery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Download manager....I would look to see if you can delete anything you don't need, transfer what you need off the phone and see if that helps. The IMDb app seems to be a storage hog. Might want to get rid of that one too.

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean clearing the partition cache or within the Storage tab of the settings clearing the "Cached data"?

Or is there a different cache I should be clearing?

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean clearing the partition cache or within the Storage tab of the settings clearing the "Cached data"?

Or is there a different cache I should be clearing?

Thanks

I would start with those specific apps in settings>apps. See if that helps.

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I would start with those specific apps in settings>apps. See if that helps.

So I went to clear the cache of just a few individual apps and I can't even do that. It just says "Computing.."

Screenshot_2016-06-22-16-55-14.jpgScreenshot_2016-06-22-16-56-01.jpg

It is starting to get a little irritating that I am unable to figure out any information with everything just being stuck on "Calculating..." and "Computing..."

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you have mostly cache storage in the size of a gigabyte or two, it may take a little bit for it to compute. Or, you can go into recovery and delete the cache partition. You won't hurt anything comma and if the phone needs to rebuild any information it will happen almost undetectably.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that the issue is less with the /cache partition than with data and cache in individual apps. These are different sorts of cache and have different purposes, and wiping the cache partition does not remove cached storage for individual apps - they are stored in the /data partition. It's worth a try, though.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd still suggest moving any downloads off the device, since the download manager is reporting a high number of storage. You can double check to see if that is the case. Plug the device into your PC and you should see a downloads folder. Right click and click properties. That should give you a storage count of that specific folder.

QliqSoft

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Most probably its because of cache ! its wise to remove apps which say they clean cache but indeed they do it temporarily. faced same problem but its genuine and long back faced same issue and figured myself!

sparko24

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd still suggest moving any downloads off the device, since the download manager is reporting a high number of storage. You can double check to see if that is the case. Plug the device into your PC and you should see a downloads folder. Right click and click properties. That should give you a storage count of that specific folder.

When I get home from work I am going to try this.

So after letting the app sit and be "Computing..." forever it finally loaded some information. But if I try to clear the cache nothing happens or pops up. If I click "CLEAR DATA" I at least get a pop up if I wanted to move forward with that. But trying to "CLEAR CACHE" does nothing.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When I get home from work I am going to try this.

So after letting the app sit and be "Computing..." forever it finally loaded some information. But if I try to clear the cache nothing happens or pops up. If I click "CLEAR DATA" I at least get a pop up if I wanted to move forward with that. But trying to "CLEAR CACHE" does nothing.

I have had phones where the recompute is kinda slow.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning toward the easiest solution being to back up all of your stored photos and/or videos off of the device, back up contacts if you are not syncing them with a service, and do a factory data reset and start over from scratch. Oh, and, after you're done setting up, make sure to turn on backing up of photos and videos to an online service of your choice - Google Photos, Dropbox, Flickr, etc. - and I'd also strongly suggest syncing contacts, calendars, etc., if you are not already doing so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38