Does Droid Ultra support microusb drives?

Chavychavchop

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Only thing I've found wrong with this phone is the lack of an SD slot, though I was aware when I got it. (Free upgrade from a basic slide phone.)

I am aware there are microUSB flash drives, some even designed for smartphone storage. Is this device compatible/can it read them as a replacement for an SD card?

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: does droid ultra support microusb drives?

Only thing I've found wrong with this phone is the lack of an SD slot, though I was aware when I got it. (Free upgrade from a basic slide phone.)

I am aware there are microUSB flash drives, some even designed for smartphone storage. Is this device compatible/can it read them as a replacement for an SD card?
I took a quick look around and it appears that it does. However, some users have reported issues with problems connecting to the drives. Take a look at this thread posted on the Moto site:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/780e6a6df3

Hope that helps.

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, not a problem and you don't need to be rooted. Just make sure that your thumb drive is formatted for FAT32 and plug in into the micro USB port with an OTG cable (you can get one of these for about ten bucks at FRY's or Amazon). You will need to download an app to control the stick drive, I am using Nexus USB OTG on my Moto Droid Maxx (same architecture as the Ultra but BIGGER battery). This is a fantastic feature, I use the same thumb drive on my Android phone, tablet, and my Windows PC workstation with no problems at all.

I have a couple different micro USB specific thumb drives (with a USB on the other side to allow for use in either a PC or Android) and these work just fine without the need for an OTG cable. However, I found that the physical size of these drives make it impossible to plug them into my Androids with the protective cases that I have on both my phone (Trident Cyclops case) and my tablet (Otterbox Defender case). The OTG cable fits, no muss - no fuss - and simply works better for me.

comandoed

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have Droid Razr XT912, Android 4.1.2

Silicon Power usb 2.0 Flash Drive mobile X10 16GB (fat32)

I installed Nexus USB OTG trial and I get "No USB seems to be connected". And I tried 2 different flash drives.
They work fine on my Windows computer.

under Settings>Storage it shows

USB DISK/STORAGE/USBDISK_1.1

Mount USB Disk <greyed out
Insert an USB Disk for mounting

Any ideas?

Last edited: