Evo to Droid X

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Here are my 2 cents.

The Droid X has a much better processor as it uses the TI OMAP processor running at 1Ghz. Trust me, its a big difference. I had a Palm Pre and my GF had a Palm Pixi last year. The Pre used a TI processor at 500Mhz-600Mhz and the Pixi used a Qualcomm processor at the same frequency as the Pre's TI (about 600Mhz). The performance difference between the two phones were drastic. Night and Day. The TI was clearly the superior processor in every single aspect. Made the Qualcomm look like crap.

This alone makes the Droid X worthwhile. As much as I hate Verizon, the Droid X is a very good addition to their line of smartphones and probably the most powerful smartphone in the market. Is it the best? I don't think so. But definitely the most powerful.

HTC has four things I think would make me stay with the Evo.
1) 4G access on Sprint's network. Blazing fast. Plus Sprint's 3G network is faster than Verizon's. No argument here.
2) HTC Sense. Makes everything better. I love it. Would not have bought an Android phone without it.
3) Front Camera. Video chat is awesome. I use it all the time. It works great on 3G and 4G networks.
4) Better multimedia with YouTube HQ and 4G access. The only thing this does not apply to is gaming, as the Evo has a weak 1Ghz Qualcomm processor.

These four things are great additions. Plus, I actually use the kickstand quite a bit! Pick your network first, definitely. But if network is not a big deal, and if I was shopping for a Evo vs. Droid X right now, it would be a very very tough decision. In the end, I would have to go with Evo because of Sense, 4G and front camera. I do game on my phone a lot (on my Pre) so that is also important, but I hear the Evo is just fine with gaming. I am waiting to see more reviews on gaming for Evo before I spend money buying gameloft games.

I think the Droid X is ugly as hell. But I don't really care about that. The Evo is slick looking, which is just a plus for me. Also, Verizon is pretty expensive. I always get the unlimited plans and mine for Sprint costs about $60 plus tax. Verizon would charge me double.

jeeves5454

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
How would we know which is better....

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - always go with the best service for you and then choose your device. Plain and simple.
Yes, but what if you are not sure about the quality of service. I have the Evo 4G, and I have the same service level as AT&T and Verizon in one location (my house). But there are places that I get no signal at all, where I know that AT&T had signal before, and no clue about Verizon service.

I guess that I will have to return my Evo. Wait for the Droid X, try it for 3 days in all the possible places I work and travel nearby to confirm signal is better and available. If so, keep that phone, else return phone before the 3 day deadline to prevent paying activation fees and restocking fees, and switch back to the Evo.

Evo has a better price, Flash Lite (which I love), and the kickstand.

Droid X has better video codec support, DLNA support, and better battery?? (still to be proven)

-Decisions, decisions, its almost paralyzing.....

larryyork22

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The other thing you need to think about in Sprint VS. Verizon, is Verizon is also talking about teired, (not sure if that is spelled correctly), data pricing :(, so that $10 per month savings will probably only get bigger. :cool:

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The other thing you need to think about in Sprint VS. Verizon, is Verizon is also talking about teired, (not sure if that is spelled correctly), data pricing :(, so that $10 per month savings will probably only get bigger. :cool:

They talked about tiered pricing earlier this year (like January I believe) and it was in the same discussion as LTE. During the DroidX launch, they were talking about how "some competitors are limiting their access, while Big Red is pushing forward with Unlimited Data", or something along those lines. As such, tiered pricing is likely only going to apply to LTE, which isn't on this phone anyways, so it doesn't merit discussion.

gman eb#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I’ve been contemplating the same issue here. Stay with EVO on Sprint, which coverage has been so-so in my area, or leave within my 30 day trial period and go back with Verizon and order the Droid X. I know Verizon is a much better provider in my area and throughout the Northeast. The difference in plans would only be about $10 a month. Not sure if I would like moto over sense though. Never used a Droid before.

larryyork22

May 24, 2010
Visit site
They talked about tiered pricing earlier this year (like January I believe) and it was in the same discussion as LTE. During the DroidX launch, they were talking about how "some competitors are limiting their access, while Big Red is pushing forward with Unlimited Data", or something along those lines. As such, tiered pricing is likely only going to apply to LTE, which isn't on this phone anyways, so it doesn't merit discussion.

We shall see. I bet, & this is just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions, Since AT&T just did it for their plans including the I-Phone, I bet Verizon does the same thing. Because the 2 just about go hand in hand. Again, just my opinion.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but what if you are not sure about the quality of service. I have the Evo 4G, and I have the same service level as AT&T and Verizon in one location (my house). But there are places that I get no signal at all, where I know that AT&T had signal before, and no clue about Verizon service.

That's the beauty of having 30 days to put a phone and service through its paces. Plus you don't pay a dime. Use ever single day of the 30 days and then make a decision.

jeeves5454

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
That's the beauty of having 30 days to put a phone and service through its paces. Plus you don't pay a dime. Use ever single day of the 30 days and then make a decision.

Unfortunately Verizon does not have the courtesy to provide the same service. According to their corporate policy, they give you 3 days, not 30 to evaluate the service and phone. You have 30 days to change the phone, but after the 3rd day you have to pay restocking fees, activation fees, and all sorts of other fees.

I am okay with the service fees, after all I used the phone for a period of time. I resent having to pay for all the other items....

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
We shall see. I bet, & this is just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions, Since AT&T just did it for their plans including the I-Phone, I bet Verizon does the same thing. Because the 2 just about go hand in hand. Again, just my opinion.

Did you listen to/read the transcription of the Droid X launch from last week? While I trust these phone companies about as far as I can throw them, they effectively called AT&T out for limiting the data their customers can use. Turning around (any time soon at least) and effectively doing what you just mocked another company for is not unheard of, but unlikely.

I hear the same thing from my iPhone toting friend... seems like a way to cope with AT&T screwing you over by claiming everyone else will do it.

chally rt

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
EVO for Sprint vs Droid X for Verizon

like most other users stated already on this site. what really matters is how good the service is in your area for either verizon or sprint. if the service is bad, it really doesnt matter what the cell phone can do for you. i currently have the evo and am in a 4g market. its an awesome phone! now you look at the droid x and gaming, ok so if you're a gamer than get the phone. remember this, att service is not the best for the iphone 4. that has been proven but not only with the iphone 4 but with all their previous iphones and other devices. the more people you have on a network and dont provide the horse power or shall i say bandwith, there will be connection issues. verizon's prices are rediculous and if i'm not mistaken they will be going over to tiered data just like at&t. those two are the competitiors while sprint just sits and waits. there is an article out there, i believe posted over the weekend where verizon's ceo talks about the big leaps sprint has made. also remember sprint is working on their LTE market as well. IT DEPENDS ON YOUR LOCATION. IF AT&T IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER THREE THAN GET AT&T, IF SPRINT IS BETTER THAN GO WITH THAT ONE.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've said this before, and I'll say it again - always go with the best service for you and then choose your device. Plain and simple.

I couldn't have said it better. That's the main reason I can't use AT&T in my area, and where I travel ;) Verizon FTW.

Anyway Sprint & Verizon being on par in the Northwest, I'm still choosing the X. I feel it will be a much better performing device with better build quality that the EVO. That's only MY opinion though.