HD quality question

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So 720p is supported on the DX, but will 1080anything ever be supported, either in recording or playback? would that be a software or hardware issue? i'd think if it was only software then future updates (not froyo but maybe gingerbread or beyond) could do that, and with other electronics playing 1080i/p/whatever, it would be sweet to take advantage of that. anyone?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Not playback because software cannot change the resolution of a screen.

As far as recording, let's not worry about 1080p (i is useless) until they can perfect the supposed "720p HD recording) on any of these phones. If that's HD, then I need glasses.

jahoobob

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Not playback because software cannot change the resolution of a screen.

As far as recording, let's not worry about 1080p (i is useless) until they can perfect the supposed "720p HD recording) on any of these phones. If that's HD, then I need glasses.
I don't see how they can claim 720 if it isn't. Please explain for our edification.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I mean the file you end up with claims 1280x720 in all video players/file browsers, so I don't see why one would think it is anything but 720p. The only thing is the bitrate of the video, and obviously the quality of the camera lens itself should be better to really expect HD quality.

If you can manage to edit the build.props file to increase the bitrate of 720p video from 1.5mbps to say 8mbps, you'll see a tremendous jump in video quality (and file size.)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I mean the file you end up with claims 1280x720 in all video players/file browsers, so I don't see why one would think it is anything but 720p. The only thing is the bitrate of the video, and obviously the quality of the camera lens itself should be better to really expect HD quality.

If you can manage to edit the build.props file to increase the bitrate of 720p video from 1.5mbps to say 8mbps, you'll see a tremendous jump in video quality (and file size.)

May be a stupid question, but is there such an editing software that can do that? I'd love to edit the videos and get real 720P quality

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how they can claim 720 if it isn't. Please explain for our edification.

The resolution is 720p, yes, but really, play back a video taken on the Droid X on your computer and you tell me if that looks like any HD video you've ever seen. HTC, Apple, and Motorola all claim they have HD cameras on their phones but they compress the hell out of them.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Its due to an extremely low bitrate during compression. It causes it to look like a lower resolution video than it should. I've seen posts on the alldroid.org forums that claim they've modified the build.prop file to increase bitrate and even on junky phones with low resolution video recording (like 480x240 resolution) the video saw a huge improvement just from higher bitrates. I can't comment on how to do it myself as I don't have root nor do I like messing with those things, but read around on those forums. Its there.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
May be possible with something like Handbrake unless, of course, it has to be done while the video is recording and not in post.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It has to be done pre recording. Source material should always be as raw and high quality as possible. Hence modifying that system file so videos aren't as compressed when you first make them.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. But, RAW files would take a nice amount of space on the SD card haha. Still, would like to try it out.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use the Vignette app for taking pictures now because because the pictures come out so much better. It's a little more crisp but more importantly the colors look SO much better, and yes without adding any effects. The reason why I bring this up is I'm curious if anyone has made a video recording app? And if not would it be possible to make such an app that doesn't compress the video like a 500 pound chick sitting on an ant and also uses the correct codecs including for audio??

blile

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Im wondering exactly the opposite. I was wondering if there was a way to record 720p with smaller file sizes or in a format other than 3gp like mp4. Is there a setting im missing or an app out there?

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
along the same lines (sort of)
I noticed verizon compresses txt msg videos even more.

So you go into your phone and choose the "for upload" (or whatever it says) so you can send a video to another phone.
It will obviously compress it.. but when I sent it to my wife's X I noticed the video looked even worse then what I recorded on the phone.

It seemed to me, that upon a side by side comparison the video she received was of worse quality, then what i sent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty