Verizon wants $300 to exchange my borked X!

hertz1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Got the messed up screen on my X. Screen flickers and then I get lines all over it. This started today and hasn't gone away.

Went to the verizon store and spent an hour and a half with tech support and customer service on the phone.

After going through their dog and pony show of useless troubleshooting (including a FACTORY RESET!) they decided my phone had problems.

They said they'll send me a replacement phone when one is available. BUT they want me to prepay for it!

Are you kidding me! I just paid $200 for this phone 6 days ago and now to fix it another $300! $500 in 6 days really verizon? They did give me a free month for all my troubles, but thats not what I want, I want a ******* phone that works!

Stay tuned, I'm not gonna settle for that and I will raise hell.

Also might consider returning it, and you better believe I won't be getting charged a ****ing restocking fee!

Sorry so long, just pissed.:mad:

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
They refund you that money once they recieve the old one back. It's policy so people don't try and scam the system and get a free phone.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't you just hate when this forum's scripts take all the good words out and replace them with *******.

There is no way that corporate would let that fly, I think you just had a ****ty Rep

hertz1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
They refund you that money once they recieve the old one back. It's policy so people don't try and scam the system and get a free phone.

I replaced my BB a bunch of times and never once got charged.why is this any different except for lack of stock?

I'll even wait and exchange one at the store so I won't steal the new one:rolleyes:

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
That's not right... I went through 4 Storm 1s and was never asked to pay anything.

Solution:
1) Call CS and ask for Sup
2) Explain situation to Sup
3) Get more than one month credit and free replacement :D

Godspeed

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Got the messed up screen on my X. Screen flickers and then I get lines all over it. This started today and hasn't gone away.

Went to the verizon store and spent an hour and a half with tech support and customer service on the phone.

After going through their dog and pony show of useless troubleshooting (including a FACTORY RESET!) they decided my phone had problems.

They said they'll send me a replacement phone when one is available. BUT they want me to prepay for it!

Are you kidding me! I just paid $200 for this phone 6 days ago and now to fix it another $300! $500 in 6 days really verizon? They did give me a free month for all my troubles, but thats not what I want, I want a ******* phone that works!

Stay tuned, I'm not gonna settle for that and I will raise hell.

Also might consider returning it, and you better believe I won't be getting charged a ****ing restocking fee!

Sorry so long, just pissed.:mad:

Might have misunderstood them, they may have said if you don't return your old one then you will get charged.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Something is wrong here, you do not have to pay for the phone. Like someone else posted if you don't return the old broken one you will be charged.

They were gunna send me a new X because of the battery life indicator problem until update fixed mine. That was free of charge so yours would be also.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Something is wrong here, you do not have to pay for the phone. Like someone else posted if you don't return the old broken one you will be charged.

They were gunna send me a new X because of the battery life indicator problem until update fixed mine. That was free of charge so yours would be also.

^^^^^^^^^^^^I would say he misunderstood them,because that is what they always say. If not returned they will charge you.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
No body is going to do an advance replacement (where you have the two products at the same time) without a way to recoup the additional products value if the supposed broken one isn't returned. Chances are they take the card number apply a $50 hold and then give you a period to return the phone before your card is charged for the full amount.

Hubb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
VZW has never pre-charged for a replacement. I've had multiple BlackBerry's replaced and have never paid any upfront "holding" fee. call CS again...

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Its not a fee, Many places to make sure the card valid and not out of funds will place a 1-3 day hold on money. When you look at your current activity it won't show up but for example on my credit union online account it has one for Balance and one for usable balance. Usable balance would be $50 less.

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It is a known problem they will fix it for free:

"Verizon Wireless and Motorola are aware of a very small number of DROID X units that have experienced a flickering or banding display. Motorola has resolved the issue and is continuing to ship the phones. Any consumer who experiences a flickering or banding display should contact a Motorola customer support center or Verizon Wireless."

Verizon confirms Droid X screen issues, but says they're not widespread -- Engadget

"On Tuesday, Verizon Wireless issued a statement on the matter and assured customers that the problem would be corrected. They encouraged customers to contact Motorola or themselves should they be experiencing any problems."

Verizon Confirms Droid X Screen Problems ? Right Pundits

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I love how uninformed most vzw reps are in stores, its like when the first droid came out and the privacy screen protector had problems, I took it back and told them the problems and how big red issued a statement, they had no idea and thought I was lying. I told them to call the other stores in the area. Sure enough they hang up and apologize...

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
That's not right... I went through 4 Storm 1s and was never asked to pay anything.

Solution:
1) Call CS and ask for Sup
2) Explain situation to Sup
3) Get more than one month credit and free replacement :D

Godspeed

I totally agree.

First of all, I don't believe in trying to cheat and get free anything but if the product is defective, it is the company's job to fix it or replace it with a new one. Not only did you and all of us pay $200+ for our devices, we are also paying for the monthly service. And like you, we are all in our thirty-day return umbrella. Call retention and demand satisfaction.

Good luck!

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I love how uninformed most vzw reps are in stores, its like when the first droid came out and the privacy screen protector had problems, I took it back and told them the problems and how big red issued a statement, they had no idea and thought I was lying. I told them to call the other stores in the area. Sure enough they hang up and apologize...

An average rep gets 20+ emails at the start of the day telling them all sorts of things, some useful, some not. And then throughout the day they get 40+ more from verizon, most of those just repeats, so they might pass over the 1-2 more.

Add to that keeping all the plans straight, keeping up to tabs on their own sales and metrics, dealing with a potential hundreds of people with different situations a week.

It's VERY hard to keep up to date on EVERYTHING verizon does.

And as others have mentioned, something doesn't match up here between the OP's story and verizon's normal policy. The only time they charge you is if the warranty is void or if you don't return the old equipment, and they wouldn't only charge you 300.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
No no, what Verizon did is right. I, too, am having a replacement X sent to me and what they have to do right now, because they have no refurbs or new in stock, is they "buy" a new one and charge it to your account. You're not expected to pay that unless you do not return the defective device.

I had Blackberrys for 2 years and most of the time they didn't do this because they always had stock of new ones or like-new replacements. However, with my Storm1, i had an issue within the first week or two of buying it. When i called in they said they had to charge my account for the new one and it would then be taken off once they received the old device.

This is common practice and is really nothing to freak out about. Send back your old X and you wont get charged. You wont have to pay a penny.

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
An average rep gets 20+ emails at the start of the day telling them all sorts of things, some useful, some not. And then throughout the day they get 40+ more from verizon, most of those just repeats, so they might pass over the 1-2 more.

Add to that keeping all the plans straight, keeping up to tabs on their own sales and metrics, dealing with a potential hundreds of people with different situations a week.

It's VERY hard to keep up to date on EVERYTHING verizon does.

And as others have mentioned, something doesn't match up here between the OP's story and verizon's normal policy. The only time they charge you is if the warranty is void or if you don't return the old equipment, and they wouldn't only charge you 300.

I feel that on flagship devices like the droid and now the droid x simple info like "if someone comes in with a completely destroyed screen for now good reason" should be told to them by a boss. It is there job to know more information than customers... But this is all for some other kinda thread, I hope everyone gets their new X : )

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I feel that on flagship devices like the droid and now the droid x simple info like "if someone comes in with a completely destroyed screen for now good reason" should be told to them by a boss. It is there job to know more information than customers... But this is all for some other kinda thread, I hope everyone gets their new X : )

Besides that the OP's story is missing a lot of information. we don't know what the reps knew and what they didn't. Even if they say HE did it, they would try charging him over 500 for a retail replacement, NOT 300. So they knew it was a defect. And the only time they charge for defects if if he doesn't return the original (and again, it's typically retail cost). Like I said, his story doesn't add up.

I was replying to someone who said Verizon reps knew nothing because they didn't keep up to date with known accessory failings.

hertz1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I know there not.gonna keep my 300 dollars. I know when i return the old o.e they'll refund the 300. That's not the issue. The issue is that verizon is the one who who'd be responsible, not me. I did my part by paying. And i can't type anymore because my screen is crapping out on me.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
But if they send you a brand new one, and you don't return the old one, then they are out over $600 dollars.

They could do it the way they used to and not give you anything until they recieved the old unit first.

I still say there's extra issues here. I've never heard of them charging just 300 for a warranty phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress