What's missing from the back of the Droid X?

tyrok3k

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that all the Droid X cases have a circle cut out on the back next to the speaker, what could that have been? The official Verizon silicon case has a black circle in that spot on the cardboard insert.

Adontain

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
or are you referring to the notion that the cutout for the speaker is shaped like a thermometer and not just cut around the speaker? it may be designed as a place to put your finger...just a thought.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
My case opening is larger than the speaker slit (extended to the right), but it's not a searate hole or circle. I hadn't really thought anything if it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
or are you referring to the notion that the cutout for the speaker is shaped like a thermometer and not just cut around the speaker? it may be designed as a place to put your finger...just a thought.

How do you hold the DX? The ways I've been holding it do not put a finger near the cut out.

tyrok3k

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should have started with a picture.

It just seems like case makers were told to not cover that spot but nothing ever got put there.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What about something to do with the radio/antenna being located in that area? Better signal if that spot was uncovered?

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm a ham radio operator, and I know that covering an antenna in a non-metallic substance (silicone, rubber, electricians tape, etc) will not affect attenuation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be for the antenna, don't know what else it would be for :/

Anyone take apart their Droid and see whats right there? :p

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I assumed it had something to do with the Car Dock/Home Dock and a magnet or whatnot - like with a Blackberry and the sleep/holster function. Weird.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if it may be for acoustic purpose... When you lay phone on desk your speaker is usually muffled because speaker sits on desk but of you lift it a little the sound carries better... Maybe its the same as that when on desk..

I placed a round ring around my speaker shortly after buying mine to allow sound from speaker to carry better when in desk dock on speaker phone....

Try putting fingers against phone on the shape like cut out and you should notice a sound change and a volume increase a little.

Last edited: