Terrible battery life, and battery only shows increments of 10? HELP:/

jcochranusn

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. In everything that I've read, I see that the Droid X is getting GREAT battery life for everyone. This is even why I switched to it from the EVO.

However, I'm not seeing much improvement over the EVO battery life at all. For example, this morning I unplugged my phone at 7:30AM. I did not TOUCH the phone until 9:00AM when I made a 1 minute, 37 second phone call. After that phone call, my battery was at 90%:/ I'm very lucky to make it until 4PM on this thing, and it seems everyone else is having much better results.

Also, does the battery only show up in increments of 10? For example, when my battery is being used, it just goes from 90% to 80%...or 60% to 50%. NEVER does it show any number between that. It does the same when it is charging...it will go from 40% to 50%...70% to 80%...and so on. Is this normal?

Can anyone give me some guidance as to why I'm not getting this great battery life everyone is talking about? I've got my phone rooted, with SetCPU set to 300mhz when phone is sleeping...and I have autokiller set to "strict" as well.

HELP:(

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You gotta make sure you're changing around your settings (like turning off auto-brightness and dimming the screen all the way) in order to really get the best out of the battery.

And on my phone, battery management was much better when I switched to the leaked 2.2 update. I'm back on 2.1 now in order to wait for the official update, and the battery life is terrible in comparison.

jcochranusn

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You gotta make sure you're changing around your settings (like turning off auto-brightness and dimming the screen all the way) in order to really get the best out of the battery.

And on my phone, battery management was much better when I switched to the leaked 2.2 update. I'm back on 2.1 now in order to wait for the official update, and the battery life is terrible in comparison.

I've got my screened dimmed to the max:/ does your phone also only show the battery percentage in increments of 10???

Thanks!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The battery indicator works in increments of 10. It may be different if you install a battery app from the market, but I've never tried that.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
All the Motos report battery percentage in 10s. The good news is that when it shows 90 percent after your 1 min. phone call is that you're probably really at 99%.

If this is your first charge cycle, please just be patient. After about a week it gets significantly better. Those people that say battery condition is a thing of the past are just wrong. I've had two Droid Xs and two Droid 2s and both improved significantly after 4 or 5 charge cycles. Just be patient.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Try the Battery Left app to track your battery life in smaller increments. It will take a couple of days or so to calibrate, and you will run through a power cycle from fully charged to shutdown, but after calibration, it will provide 1% increments on your notification bar and more info on the widget to help you track battery usage, and other battery info on the widget that you can configure.

You can also install the Battery Graph app, which will give you a graphic display of your battery levels, in 10% increments, but still helpful in allowing you to go back and look at the last 24 hours of use, to correlate what you might be doing at one time or another that causes unusual power drain.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
All the Motos report battery percentage in 10s. The good news is that when it shows 90 percent after your 1 min. phone call is that you're probably really at 99%.

Actuallyyyy....

I don't think so. I get the feeling it reports 90% when you are at 90-81%, 80% from 80-71% etc etc :/

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Actuallyyyy....

I don't think so. I get the feeling it reports 90% when you are at 90-81%, 80% from 80-71% etc etc :/

Comparing the readings from Battery Left with the Moto reported levels over the last month or so, I think 90% from Moto would be be between approx. 85% and 94% of actual.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone give me some guidance as to why I'm not getting this great battery life everyone is talking about? I've got my phone rooted, with SetCPU set to 300mhz when phone is sleeping...and I have autokiller set to "strict" as well.
You need to be extra careful with task killers, especially on the X with BLUR. I've found it best to not auto-kill anything and use the task killers only to snipe a bad process when needed. Killing/autokilling the wrong thing can cause all kinds of issues. Check the sticky at the top of this form regarding task killers.

jzuchowski

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Had a few cycles of the battery so far and it does seem to get somewhat better. Atk sucked and kept closing things like music while in my car dock, even when i told it not to. Im hoping that the new os update helps.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Actuallyyyy....

That makes no sense. That is grounds for a lawsuit if that's the case in this litigious society we live in. Think about...if my phone tells me I'm at 90% I better be @ or above 90% or else it's giving me a false reading. It's also why you notice your phone drop to 90% almost instantly after you pull it off the charger (well, within like an hour tops). Why exactly would they over represent the battery when they know people will b*tch about it reporting it incorrectly? I'm curious as to your reasoning behind your statement.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Had a few cycles of the battery so far and it does seem to get somewhat better. Atk sucked and kept closing things like music while in my car dock, even when i told it not to. Im hoping that the new os update helps.

Task killers are pointless in Android. I've never used one and I'm perfectly happy with the DX battery life. The Incredible is the only Android phone I've used that was not able to get through a day of moderate use. Add the extended Seidio battery and all was well. Task killers are overrated and I'm not sure why exactly those got so much traction in the Android world. The OS does its own task killing when needed. So yeah...ditch the killers.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has been steadily improving since I got mine a month and a half ago. make sure you turn your phone off once a day or once every other and leave it off for maybe ten minutes. I have gotten in the habit of turning it off after it had fully charged, and keeping on the charger for ten minutes or so while off. Right now I have 30% left, off the charger for 22 hours and 14 minutes...

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Battery issues? Not here

I can't complain about my battery at all. Mind you I'm not getting over 24 hours yet but after having it on two full days - no problems.
Yesterday, I took it off the charger at 7:15 a.m. (after 8 hrs on the charger). Didn't do too much with it before 11am because I was at church from 8:15 - 11. Surfed some news, checked email and sent a text or 4. Drove 2 hours and then "messed with it" off and on for the next 6 or 7 hours. Things like checking texts, emails, scores (ScoreMobile), FB, Weather, moving things around on the screens and doing several searches on Google. At 8:30 PM we got in the car to drive home and I had 50% battery. My wife drove us home (2 hours) and I played with the phone the entire drive. Another 15 minutes after I got home to check scores and set the alarm and such. I check the battery before I plug it up to go to bed at 11:00p and I still had 20%. I would think that once I've had it a week or two and quit constantly playing with it, my battery should last well into the second day.

BTW - Yesterday, I was on 3G all day as I wasn't anywhere I could use WiFi. I keep the screen turned down low which is plenty bright enough except outside. I don't have GPS on unless I'm using it. Otherwise, things are still pretty much set as they were when I received it on Friday except for all the apps I've downloaded and the re-arranging of widgets and shortcuts.

The ONLY things I dislike at all is that the proximity touch is a bit too sensitive for me and I have a little trouble using the phone with one hand - but I have short fingers for someone almost 6' tall. :( These are definitely not show stoppers.

Last edited:

ozzzy3z

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I gave in and bought the extended battery. For such a small increase in power (approximately 20%) I am blown away by its performance. I last charged the X 27 hours ago and I am still at 70% life. Didn't make any calls/texts but searched the market on wifi for about 45 minutes and played Angry Birds for about 30 minutes.

mosarmini

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the SAME problem man, all my settings turned down, gps off, battery manager on smart mode, lowest brightness, like all the things that save battery, and I still have bad life, battery goes from 100 to 90 even in standby.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
My phone does the same thing with dropping to 90 very fast. I usually can get any where from 12 to 16 hrs with it though, but does bug me that it drops to 90 so quick.

jzuchowski

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I gave in and bought the extended battery. For such a small increase in power (approximately 20%) I am blown away by its performance. I last charged the X 27 hours ago and I am still at 70% life. Didn't make any calls/texts but searched the market on wifi for about 45 minutes and played Angry Birds for about 30 minutes.
Im assuming its that seido one that fits in the original hardware?

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is decent, however actual phone calls seem to draw way more battery than seems reasonable. I had a single 5 minute phone call, and the battery monitor shows my "voice calls" at 23% of battery usage, with my overall battery down to 30% now. Only 3.5 hours since unplugged.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Calls do the same to me too. It wouldn't go to 30% that fast but voice calls really kill it a lot more than I think they should. Is this an issue for many other people?