Is it possible to charge spare battery without phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incrediboy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Most phone batteries have some type of offline charger available on eBay. Have you tried there or seidio.com?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

MikeV#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
There was tutorial that I read which involves splicing usb wires and connecting it straight to the battery to charge it. Id say if you have any spare usb wires and extra time to give it a shot and even possibly build something out of it. As for things online they make them not sure if ive seen any yet for the X though.

Found it: NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

Last edited:

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
You can buy 2 non-oem spare batteries and an ac charger on eBay for around $15. You have to wait a couple weeks to get it (from Hong Kong).

Dan Lo-Fat

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
WHOAH, PEOPLE! PLEASE RE-READ THE QUESTION. NO ONE hs answered it!

The question is NOT "Is it possible to power the phone without its battery"! WHY is ANYONE answering THAT question in THIS Thread - makes absolutley no sense, and even those answers are not written well at all. Although, answered correctly, that OTHER question is something many are curious to know the correct answer to. Just not in this thread.

To answer the actual QUESTION: YES, you CAN charge your cellphone battery when it is OUTSIDE of, Not connected to, or NO WHERE NEAR your phone. WARNING: IF you chose to do this, you run the risk of over-charging the battery. Why? Because:

1. MOST home wall and car chargers - yes, even the ones that come WITH the cellphone - do NOT regulate the battery charging cycle AT ALL. They merely only provide a steady voltage and constant amperage. Period. Usually 5v at 900ma (car and wall, and most usb 3.0 ports) or 500ma (most usb 2.0 ports)They're "dumb". Remember VOLTAGE can under or over charge, AMPERAGE does NOTHING to that. Voltage is pushed to the device, AMPS are Pulled by the device. Make it is easy on yourself, that IS the best way to think of it. Period.

Watts, Amps and Volts and How To Understand Electricity

2. The CELLPHONE ITSELF regulates all charging cycles of the battery. When the battery is IN the phone, of course.

There ARE chargers that CAN regulate charging and with proper cycles, but they arent cheap. You can find them at Hoby stores everywhere. Anywhere from 35.00 to 120.00 US - single cell to multi cell.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
That's funny it seems like post 5, 7 and 10 all show examples of charging the battery out side of the phone.

I myself had a two battery plus a charger for my htc evo back in the day. $10 and they work fine

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
even funnier this thread is almost 4 years old, and you can buy droid x spare battery chargers on ebay and amazon for about $5 including shipping

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

ashleedawg

May 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks - it took an awful lot of searching to find an answer to that question - and now it seems so obvious!

I was (also) hoping I could stick the appropriate receiver to each spare battery, toss them on the charge pad and forget them until I needed them... But it wouldnt know when to stop charging, and with my luck, blow up in my face!

I'll still get the pad+sticker anyway since my Samsung & Alcatel both have loose charge ports, and that doesnt look like an easy repair.

I know this thread is old but I'm pretty excited that I can get a Qi pad+sticker for $6 on eBay including shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa