Email Fetch/push - Gmail -

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
OK, so from another thread i have discovered something that confuses me a bit and i would like to get a little more information from everyone who uses Gmail. I'm thinking the battery manager is slightly bugged with how it turns on and off data.

In the PC Gmail version you can view your account activity of what has been connecting to your gmail and how they are doing it (pop, imap, browser etc).

To do this, log into your gmail. All the way on the bottom there is a section that says "last account activity" DETAILS. Click details and it shows you times they were connected last. DO NOT POST YOUR IP INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD

I'm curious to see how other peoples phones are going out searching for email. So here is what i would like to see.

1. What are your power settings (performance, battery saver, smart)

2. What time did you go to bed and put your phone on the charger? What time did you wake up? Does the details on gmail show no activity from the time you went to bed to the time you woke up?

3. How you access gmail from your X. Do you use the gmail client, or imap through the messaging client?

4. do you have it set to push or fetch, and what is the interval

For me, it was:
1. Performance (never turn off data, and on the charger it never should regardless of the setting)
2. Charge at 8:00pm wake up at 4:30am and there was a gap in activity between those exact hours.
3. Imap through messaging client.
4. push then fetch at 15 minute intervals

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
1. What are your power settings (performance, battery saver, smart)

Nighttime Saver

2. What time did you go to bed and put your phone on the charger? What time did you wake up? Does the details on gmail show no activity from the time you went to bed to the time you woke up?

around 10 pm; up at 6:30 am - Gmail: no activity during the nighttime hours on charger

3. How you access gmail from your X. Do you use the gmail client, or imap through the messaging client?

imap/messaging

4. do you have it set to push or fetch, and what is the interval

push/fetch at 15 minute intervals if push not available

For me, it was:
1. Performance (never turn off data, and on the charger it never should regardless of the setting)
2. Charge at 8:00pm wake up at 4:30am and there was a gap in activity between those exact hours.
3. Imap through messaging client.
4. push then fetch at 15 minute intervals

I got pretty much the same results as you have. I'm wondering, though, what the X is doing all night long. I hear notification alerts periodically, sometimes as many as 10-12. Yet in the morning, there may be one email.

Interesting topic for a thread.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
because i normally forget to put it on the charger at night since i charge it most of the time during the day when i am at my desk.

then that makes sense. i charge mine all days at my desk and all night so i really have no need to utilize the battery manager other than when im going to be awayf rom a charger for a long period of time and want to save as much as i can.

EpicInUtah

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting my X 11/18 w/ my new every two. Is there not a way to disable your sounds at night? I'm coming from a BB and bedside mode is something I really like, not having to be bothered by random tones in the middle of the night. Can you set a "nighttime" profile to only alert you on phone calls for instance?

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll be getting my X 11/18 w/ my new every two. Is there not a way to disable your sounds at night? I'm coming from a BB and bedside mode is something I really like, not having to be bothered by random tones in the middle of the night. Can you set a "nighttime" profile to only alert you on phone calls for instance?

yes, there is a nighttime mode that allows you to turn off data completely, i'm honestly not sure if this is only if your phone is OFF the charger. You can always silence your phone so it just vibrates.

If you receive a txt at night, it only notifies you once. Unfortunately if you receive an email, for some reason, unchangeable, the email continuously repeats its notifications every few minutes (not sure how many). You cannot change the repeat notifications on emails and its pretty annoying.

unless someone knows how to do it, thats the best you are gonna get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38