Suddenly Gmail split screen opens at the left

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Hi. New here.

Gmail in split screen was working fine in split screen once I got used to it, until something happened. I am sure I did something that I don't recall. Suddenly one day the split window appeared on the other side of the screen. Regularly opened at the right but now (I don't know how) opens at the left. This happened a few weeks ago.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE (Android 14, OneUI 6.0)and also have the Edge panels active (closing them makes no difference). I say this because I can see the 3 dots menu in the middle and use the exchange icon to move the new window opened at the standard place (right). This works for this link. When I close that and choose another link, (same email or another) the whole behavior happens again (opens at the left.)

Do you have any idea where can I find how to set preferences for this and change it from left to right?

I searched for this issue in google and all the images confirm that the new window from Gmail opens at the right, keeping the email at the left.

Here are some images. In order:
  • Email in Gmail on the S7FE
  • Clicked the link, the split appears and the new screen is on the left. Opposite to the normal behavior.
  • I can click the 3 dots in the middle to swap the screens
  • The screen is on the right. I cannot find any setting for this behavior. Tested with browser links, reddit app (as in this example) Instagram and twitter open a web browser.
Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    992.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 10

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Right in the middle of the screen there are 3 dots just tap and hit the arrow to switch

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Right in the middle of the screen there are 3 dots just tap and hit the arrow to switch
Screenshot I circled in red
b9460316812e8f77d19b3df03428e0f8.jpg

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I mentioned that (pictures 3 & 4) . I can do it but the issue is every time I have to do this because the change of the behavior.

This is not suppose to happen.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I mentioned that (pictures 3 & 4) . I can do it but the issue is every time I have to do this because the change of the behavior.

This is not suppose to happen.
If you grab Gmail to middle of the screen it should Open split view and start at the left

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It is in landscape.

Should be at the right. If you google "gmail split screen android" and look at the images, all of them are to the right, not the left. This is the change.

Do I explain myself?
Samsung has a lot of settings and menus, I'm trying to find for you to the left and my Fold 5 is doing it this way to left first so your tablet should also

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Samsung has a lot of settings and menus, I'm trying to find for you to the left and my Fold 5 is doing it this way to left first so your tablet should also
Thanks. I appreciate your time. I spent quite time looking for that too.

One question. When you say "to the left" means the Gmail app still in the right and the link opens to the left? or vice versa?

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, this a way to do the split window. The issue is every time has to be done when gmail do this by design in tablets.
What android version are you on?
Thanks. I appreciate your time. I spent quite time looking for that too.

One question. When you say "to the left" means the Gmail app still in the right and the link opens to the left? or vice versa?
Yeah doing this way tap on Gmail icon in recent apps to open split view the Gmail app opens to the left

Reactions: Laura Knotek

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
What android version are you on?Yeah doing this way tap on Gmail icon in recent apps to open split view the Gmail app opens to the left
Android 14 One UI 6.0

IF you open gmail by itself and follows a link, what happens? gmail to the left and the link to the right?