@notuo

I borrowed my Husband's:
Galaxy Tab s7
One UI - 5.1.1
Android 13
Google Play - January 1, 2024
Security Patch - January 1, 2024
Gmail - 2024.02.25.610891697.Release

While in landscape, after opening Gmail, the email list is on the left, the conversation pane is on the right. If I open a link in a selected email in the conversation pane on the right, it moves everything to the right & opens up the link to the far left. So now you have three columns.
• The opened link window on the left
• The Gmail email list in the middle
• The conversation pane on the right.

I could not find a way to get a link to automatically open up to the right. All I could do was use the three dot menu in the middle to switch them after the link had opened. This is also how it works on my Galaxy Tab s8 Ultra.

But I do not remember if it has always been this way or if there was a recent change due to an update. I don't open links very often in Gmail.

I'm sorry I could not find a way.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I was not thinking clearly last night. I don't usually use the gmail app, I use the Samsung email app.
I opened the Gmail app on my Tab S9 Ultra, and I get the email list on the left pane with the email open on the right pane. When I click on a link in the email, it opens in the left pane, essentially covering up the email list.

I am guessing that Google thinks you would like to continue to see the actual email while the link is open. Then, when you close out that pane, you see the email list again. This does seem strange to me, but I can see the logic. I don't know any way to change the behavior. I would think you would get used to it; Or you could try another email app.

I kind of like this behavior over the Samsung email app. In Samsung email, the link opens in a browser as a separate window... I might try switching to gmail just because I like this...

Reactions: mustang7757

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Now is working. Let me share this.

In my quest for this, last night asked Gmail support for help (Gmail support forum). I got an answer that I tried in a way and now is working. This is the complete answer.

You are on a Samsung device, so you should be able to set an app pair, and save it to your homescreen. Make sure the Gmail app is the left of the app pair and your current default browser, if it is not Google chrome, set it as your default before creating the app pair, is your right of the pair. Then try to open a link from any email and see what happens. It should work as intended now. If it doesn't then let me know I have one more idea in mind also, if this one doesn't work.

I already had the app pair set (not working, so I asked this question), so I delete it, set a new one, in this case with the reddit app and Gmail app and started to work. Not only with reddit but with chrome as well. BTW Gmail app is on the right in this new app pair.

Restarted the tablet and tried, turned off the tablet and tried and is working now.

Thank you all for your time and effort to help me.

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
@notuo

I borrowed my Husband's:
Galaxy Tab s7
One UI - 5.1.1
Android 13
Google Play - January 1, 2024
Security Patch - January 1, 2024
Gmail - 2024.02.25.610891697.Release

While in landscape, after opening Gmail, the email list is on the left, the conversation pane is on the right. If I open a link in a selected email in the conversation pane on the right, it moves everything to the right & opens up the link to the far left. So now you have three columns.
• The opened link window on the left
• The Gmail email list in the middle
• The conversation pane on the right.

I could not find a way to get a link to automatically open up to the right. All I could do was use the three dot menu in the middle to switch them after the link had opened. This is also how it works on my Galaxy Tab s8 Ultra.

But I do not remember if it has always been this way or if there was a recent change due to an update. I don't open links very often in Gmail.

I'm sorry I could not find a way.
Thanks for you answer. I have just 2 columns after I open the link, (The email message and the open link) The list of messages is hidden.

I just recall that I recently update to Android 14, maybe this affected the procedure.

I just posted what happened that now is working.

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
I was not thinking clearly last night. I don't usually use the gmail app, I use the Samsung email app.
I opened the Gmail app on my Tab S9 Ultra, and I get the email list on the left pane with the email open on the right pane. When I click on a link in the email, it opens in the left pane, essentially covering up the email list.
About the same but the mail message was moved to the left and the link opened to the right. Maybe a change with Android version.

I am guessing that Google thinks you would like to continue to see the actual email while the link is open. Then, when you close out that pane, you see the email list again. This does seem strange to me, but I can see the logic. I don't know any way to change the behavior. I would think you would get used to it; Or you could try another email app.

Yes, that's the logic. When this started last year (last October I think) was the opposite and I used to like it that way.
For me is better to have the new link to the right.

I kind of like this behavior over the Samsung email app. In Samsung email, the link opens in a browser as a separate window... I might try switching to gmail just because I like this...

I like it now, you may try it.

I just posted what I did.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
@notuo

That's a great solution. Thanks for sharing it.

I have 3 app pairs set up on my Tab s8 Ultra & they are very useful. I didn't mention it before as I didn't think that was what you were looking for, but it makes sense to do it that way.

😄

Reactions: notuo

notuo

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
@notuo

That's a great solution. Thanks for sharing it.

I have 3 app pairs set up on my Tab s8 Ultra & they are very useful. I didn't mention it before as I didn't think that was what you were looking for, but it makes sense to do it that way.

😄
Thank you for give it a try.

The thing is that, somehow, the pairing did the trick. Now Gmail app works as intended.

Nice weekend

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000