GB issues showing up

chloeourdog

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes Linking is gone. Is there a way to do this - the previous GB leak had linking and it works well.

Also the camera reverts back to widescreen as a default instead of keeping whatever one had it last set to (8 MP is what I like, not widescreen). Same as last leaked GB version.

ifrankenberg

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
LInking/unlinking is now Join/Seperate
go into your contacts and hit the menu button and Edit Contacts
then hit the menu button again and there should be a join icon

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's one that is driving me nuts (stock OTA GB leak from the 12th, unrooted):

-Go into contacts app
-Hit the big green + in the top right corner OR hit "menu" then "Add contact"
-"Choose an account to store new contacts" comes up. No matter if I choose Google or Backup Assistant AND tick "Remember this choice" this dang dialog box still comes up every time I add a new contact. It will NOT remember its settings!

Since I add more contacts directly into my DX than I do via Gmail via browser, this gets tedious after a while. Is my only solution to do a hard reset and skip the Backup Assistant sign-in at startup?

Note: I sync all of my contacts to Google, of course. I just made the mistake to sign into Backup Asisstant in my zeal to try out the new leak 2 days ago.

MAJOR mistake to sign into and activate that Vz My Backup. It doesn't sync well with Gmail/contacts and will often throw in old, duplicate and partial contact info, sometimes creating many (MANY) weird links with your Gmail contacts list. Took me FOREVER to figure out what was happening -- and a Factory Data Reset after which I did NOT activate My Backup (hit skip every time it asks). Then I had to spend hours cleaning up my contacts.

Also, you will need to go to your account at My Verizon's website and DELETE ALL CONTACT DATA from that site. It won't affect your Gmail contacts, but will clean up things. You have to check on this periodically because newer contacts will sometimes appear in My Verizon, even though it's not supposed to sync or be active in backups.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Arelunde;

Thanks for the tip. Can you please check your DX (assuming you are running the leaked GB) and hit the green + to add a new contact? Does it still prompt you to toggle between Google and My Backup for storing each new contact? I read elsewhere that the prompts still appear even if your skip the MyBackup thing after a hard reset and never activate it.

Thanks again!

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
MAJOR mistake to sign into and activate that Vz My Backup. It doesn't sync well with Gmail/contacts and will often throw in old, duplicate and partial contact info, sometimes creating many (MANY) weird links with your Gmail contacts list. Took me FOREVER to figure out what was happening -- and a Factory Data Reset after which I did NOT activate My Backup (hit skip every time it asks). Then I had to spend hours cleaning up my contacts.

Also, you will need to go to your account at My Verizon's website and DELETE ALL CONTACT DATA from that site. It won't affect your Gmail contacts, but will clean up things. You have to check on this periodically because newer contacts will sometimes appear in My Verizon, even though it's not supposed to sync or be active in backups.

I realize that this is probably not what anyone else here would do, but when I set up the phone I made a conscious choice to keep my years of VZW contacts separate from my Google contacts, so I still use VZW My Backup. I do agree that if you are using your Google contacts, the last thing in the world you probably want is to mix VZW My Backup into the process. :p :eek:

schwars1

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes Linking is gone. Is there a way to do this - the previous GB leak had linking and it works well.

Also the camera reverts back to widescreen as a default instead of keeping whatever one had it last set to (8 MP is what I like, not widescreen). Same as last leaked GB version.

Has anyone found a fix for this, or is it an issue with the GB build itself? I find it frustrating to switch the camera mode back to 8MP (from Widescreen) before each photo, if I even remember.

bruceatk

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's one that is driving me nuts (stock OTA GB leak from the 12th, unrooted):

-Go into contacts app
-Hit the big green + in the top right corner OR hit "menu" then "Add contact"
-"Choose an account to store new contacts" comes up. No matter if I choose Google or Backup Assistant AND tick "Remember this choice" this dang dialog box still comes up every time I add a new contact. It will NOT remember its settings!

Since I add more contacts directly into my DX than I do via Gmail via browser, this gets tedious after a while. Is my only solution to do a hard reset and skip the Backup Assistant sign-in at startup?

Note: I sync all of my contacts to Google, of course. I just made the mistake to sign into Backup Asisstant in my zeal to try out the new leak 2 days ago.

I think the setting it's remembering is which one you want to default to, but since you have a choice it keeps asking. I have three choices google, Backup Assistant, and Touchdown. It remembers which one I have selected as the default, but it always asks me which one I want to add to. It's a matter of always having to say Ok if I'm always adding to my default. If I change to Touchdown then it will always come up with Touchdown selected. If I change it to Google then Google is always selected.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Arelunde;

Thanks for the tip. Can you please check your DX (assuming you are running the leaked GB) and hit the green + to add a new contact? Does it still prompt you to toggle between Google and My Backup for storing each new contact? I read elsewhere that the prompts still appear even if your skip the MyBackup thing after a hard reset and never activate it.

Thanks again!

Tried this and clicked Gmail contacts/remember this. Second time, it came up again - with the Gmail checked, but still requiring an OK check.

BTW - Usually I add contacts on my PC Gmail. Old habit stemming from the 2.1 days when it was terribly difficult to add contacts and have them come out the way you wanted them and in both places (PC and X). Calendar entries, on the other hand, are good from either direction ever since Froyo, as long as the Account syncs are active.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
On another topic, LPP had an update yesterday or the day before. Ever since, my X is flirting with a total crash, pulling back to normal at the last second after broken screen loads, blank screens, black screens.

And, weirdly, my stock browser wasn't working well this morning despite all bars in place.

I'm going back to the stock launcher for a while and see if things stabilize. The OTA un-rooted GB is still a beta as far as I'm concerned, given that it hasn't been pushed to everyone. So, oddball things are to be expected.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Arelunde, have you tried re-installing the last LPP update? I haven't had any issues with it since the update. And on start up (when I turn my DX back on from fully draining the battery) it seems as though the updated LP doesn't freeze as long as it used to since upgrading to GB.

Reactions: Arelunde

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
In Froyo, there was an option in Sounds to silence the phone ringer by turning the phone down on its face. I don't see that in GB? I know there are third party tools in the Market, but so far those I've played with are not as seamless as the Froyo option. Is the option moved someplace else that I'm missing?

rwcollett

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So I loaded the .588 leak a day after it was released. I just noticed yesterday that when I plug the phone in to charge it does a total reboot. Anyone else seeing this?

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So is the rooted GB leak very buggy, or does it seem like a stable build?

Any major issues w/ WiFi or GPS?

Sounds like it's pretty buggy from everything I read.. which is why I haven't taken the plunge yet. I think I will wait for the OTA (if there is a root for it that is), once they get all the kinks worked out.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
GPS is haywire in this build. Used it while searching for a tire shop as I was driving to my GF's house and was stuck at the "Searching for GPS" part forever. While I don't use GPS often when I do it comes in handy and after having this issue I sadly have to go back to FroYo :(

It was a good run with GB. Hopefully an official one comes out soon.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
GPS is haywire in this build. Used it while searching for a tire shop as I was driving to my GF's house and was stuck at the "Searching for GPS" part forever. While I don't use GPS often when I do it comes in handy and after having this issue I sadly have to go back to FroYo :(

It was a good run with GB. Hopefully an official one comes out soon.

i can second this, my gps doesn't lock in properly, and when it does its 2 blocks off (in NYC), and no, im not using the assisted GPS, im using the full blown stand alone gps. GPS is definitely flaky at best in this build

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Arelunde, have you tried re-installing the last LPP update? I haven't had any issues with it since the update. And on start up (when I turn my DX back on from fully draining the battery) it seems as though the updated LP doesn't freeze as long as it used to since upgrading to GB.

Yep, you are right. Just did this. However, I ran the stock home screens for a while on GB's OTA manual install and am very appreciative of how improved it is over Froyo. However, the LPP widgets continue to be so user-friendly that I re-downloaded LPP and re-installed. So far, all is functioning well.