Basic Troubleshooting

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The below was originally done for my Droid X, but the same applies to my new Galaxy SIII or any Android, with the exception of "Wipe Cache" use appropriate method.

I know this might be simplistic for some here, but I thought I would put together a simple “Troubleshooting Guide” for others. I can’t tell you how many times I see the following advice handed out: “Do a factory wipe”.
A simpler approach would be to do basic troubleshooting. I have never had to do a factory wipe, usually one of the listed items has solved my issue. Finally, if you are unable to solve the issue, then by all means perform a “factory wipe” as a last resort.

1. Power down phone and do a battery pull, reboot phone. Does this solve your issue?

2. Rule out the SD card by backing up your files to your PC, and then delete them from your SD
card. Reboot phone. Does this solve your issue?

3. Reformat the SD card, reboot phone. Does this solve your issue?

4. Identify recently downloaded apps as the source of your issue by uninstalling one at a time until you find the culprit app.

5. Wipe "Cache":
Froyo - with phone powered off hold the power button and home keys until you see a triangle "!", then press the search key, then using the volume keys scroll down to "wipe cache partition", use the camera key to select yes, when finished, using the camera button select "reboot system now". Does this solve your issue?
Gingerbread – Hold down power and home buttons>wait for droid triangle>press volume up & down simultaneous> select wipe cache>use power button to select>reboot system. Does this solve your issue?
ICS - Power phone off>Hold volume up + Home + Power> Wipe Cache Partition>Reboot.

6. Go through apps that are associated with your particular issue and clear their “Data” and “Cache”. Reboot phone: *For example if you are having problems with your Photo Gallery:
Media Storage – Clear Data & Cache
Media Container Service - Clear Data & Cache

7. For those that have Titanium Backup, you can clear the “Dalvik Cache”.

*If you use a Task Killer, uninstall.
**Keep auto updates for apps turned off: Sometimes these updates will cause what was once a stable app, to conflict with phone.

Last edited:

cudzik

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
i have the evo version 2.3.5 and i'm having the vibrtating issue (or lack there of). i have tried the sound manager and that worked in the past but it wont work now. I also tried your "step 5 Wipe "Cache"" and i never got the triangle and i doing something wrong?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i have the evo version 2.3.5 and i'm having the vibrtating issue (or lack there of). i have tried the sound manager and that worked in the past but it wont work now. I also tried your "step 5 Wipe "Cache"" and i never got the triangle and i doing something wrong?

Yes, you are in the wrong forum

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo