Installing Android 2.3.3 from TBH

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still new to all of this. I'm trying to install the official rooted and DeOdexed 4.5.596 found on tbh. Can I just run the install of the file from tbh on top of the version of Froyo I'm running now, or do I need to clean out the data using Clockwork Recovery and then run the install. Also there are two files that came with the download and I'm curious if and how to use both. Thanks in advance for any help

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No you can not install the rooted deodexed version over Froyo, you have to root froyo with z4root and then install 4.5.588 build and then you can install the TBH deodexed version.... Uf yoou do not have the 4.5.588 installed you will put your device into a bootloop.

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I've listed the description in the tbh app below.

"This is the official build for the DroidX, this is a full updater. It will take your phone from any firmware and put you on the official Gingerbread .596. You must manually format system, data, cache in Clockwork Recovery. Next you need to manually mount system. Last you need to install the zip."

I have rooted my phone and have ClockworkMod installed. I guess I'm looking for help doing the things listed here as I haven't done this before and don't want to screw up my phone. Thanks again for any help.

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I've listed the description in the tbh app below.

"This is the official build for the DroidX, this is a full updater. It will take your phone from any firmware and put you on the official Gingerbread .596. You must manually format system, data, cache in Clockwork Recovery. Next you need to manually mount system. Last you need to install the zip."

I have rooted my phone and have ClockworkMod installed. I guess I'm looking for help doing the things listed here as I haven't done this before and don't want to screw up my phone. Thanks again for any help.
Just curious if anyone has any advice for me here. If there is a resource that helps with the process that would also be great.
Thanks

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is now charging full price for replacing bricked phones. Maybe you should stick to the OTA upgrade path if you aren't comfortable following the TBH path. The detailed instructions for upgrading the TBH path are all over this forum (rooting and ROM section, too) and the web.

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for the advice. I actually do want to learn all of this stuff. My issue right now is that I'm running a leaked version of Froyo and my phone doesn't see the OTA version.
One question I do have is that when I clear the data listed in the instruction does that erase my user data from the apps that I have installed. Also do I need to rename the zip file from tbh to update.zip. I know these are noon questions, so I appriciate your patience. I just want to.do it right the first time. Thanx again

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
No you can not install the rooted deodexed version over Froyo, you have to root froyo with z4root and then install 4.5.588 build and then you can install the TBH deodexed version.... Uf yoou do not have the 4.5.588 installed you will put your device into a bootloop.

TBH app has a nice all-in-one installer now that will take you from ANY kernel to stock rooted .596. It has both odexed and deodexed options. It does have some very specific instructions to follow though, more than just the usual wipe data/cache. The full set are at My Droid World. If you're comfortable with the instructions, I'd go for that, but otherwise other methods mentioned also work :)

Good luck!

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
TBH app has a nice all-in-one installer now that will take you from ANY kernel to stock rooted .596. It has both odexed and deodexed options. It does have some very specific instructions to follow though, more than just the usual wipe data/cache. The full set are at My Droid World. If you're comfortable with the instructions, I'd go for that, but otherwise other methods mentioned also work :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I was using the TBH All in one zip file last night. Unfortunately my phone restarts but gets stuck on the M screen. I was upgrading from a leaked version of Froyo. Do you have the link to those instructions. Maybe I missed something in the steps.
Thanks

Last edited:

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I was using the TBH All in one zip file last night. Unfortunately my phone restarts but gets stuck on the M screen. I was upgrading from a leaked version of Froyo. Do you have the link to those instructions. Maybe I missed something in the steps.
Thanks

Sorry that happened :( I did find the post with the instructions, here's the link. It's toward the bottom of that first post. Were you able to SBF at least for now to fix the problem? Sorry I couldn't find the thread earlier, was posting from my phone on the go and was in a bit of a hurry :( Hope this helps a little more!

Edit: Er, you're going TO .596, I see. I know the same applies, though: you have to:

1.go to mounts and storage
2.format system
3.format data
4.format cache
5.mount system
6.go back
7.choose zip from SD card

And then install the .596 updater zip.

Hopefully that helps. In case you do decide to CM7, the above instructions apply for going back. The more complicated instructions are just because you're switching radios and it's a bit more in-depth. The step-by-step I just posted above is supposed to work for the all-in-one from any kernel **TO** .596.

Last edited:

afp77

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I was able to fix it by using a bootable linux sbf command from a flash drive. I was actually fairly easy. Than was able to usage to rooted gb. I still new but this experience taught me alot. Thanks for the resources.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty