Nonrooted Screenshot App

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I did try that last week when I had to sbf to 596 OTA but what a PITA process to use it. You gota dl stuff to your pc and can only screenshot when your USB'd to your pc/mac. The screenshot itself did not come out clear and when I tried to upload it to photobucket to share here, it said the image file type is unknown or somethin, so I got rid of it but yes it does work for non rooted device.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok I was wondering if it was worth the time, sounds like it isn't.... I was wondering if somehow when you plugged to pc it was giving a temp root process that would explain why it worked until reboot, but after you described the process it sound more like a weak version of the ADB process.

Since they reported that GB was suppose to give access to screenshot now with the new API, I was hoping that this was a app that took advantage of that access.. Oh well, thank for the info.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yea I think were gona need app devs to do some re-writing, because isn't that really all it would take to match up to AT LEAST the OTA? Most of these apps were developed for as far back as donut if Im not mistaken.

edawerd

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried this app? It claims to do screenshot without having a rooted device, I am rooted and do not want to go stock to test but hoped someone has tried this and can update if this functions as advertised.

Check "No Root Screenshot It" out at https://market.android.com/details?...d.screenshotitfullnoroot&feature=related_apps

Hi,

I'm the developer of the application in question. It does indeed work on non-rooted devices, but it requires a desktop application to setup your phone for screenshoting. It does not root or temp-root your device in any way.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm the developer of the application in question. It does indeed work on non-rooted devices, but it requires a desktop application to setup your phone for screenshoting. It does not root or temp-root your device in any way.

Thank you for the information... I am still learning about Android and would love to be able to figure out how you accomplished this and got around the API and security restraints.. But I understand that's a trade secret.... :-!;):confused:O:)

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
May as well just take screencaps via the Android SDK if you have to connect the phone to a computer in order to take caps.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
+1, I agree but it is still a step in right direction, maybe later a VM method could be used from device to duplicate the commands and changes to make this possible from the device without using a desktop.. Wishful Thinking I know but this is how developers minds have to think out of the box to pull off some of the solutions

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
May as well just take screencaps via the Android SDK if you have to connect the phone to a computer in order to take caps.
One of the trainers at my job uses this app. You only have to connect your device to the computer to enable the screenshot app on the device. Once it is enabled, you take screenshots without being connected to the computer. If you reboot your device for any reason, you have to connect to the computer to enable screenshots again. It's a great app, it even allows cropping of your screenshot before saving.

Kbxy73

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Any updates on doing screenshots via an app on the phone? I'd like to be able to do it without connecting my phone to a PC!;)

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
oh I'm not blaming anyone. just would like to see it.

Understandable... I really don't think the manufacturer wont allow this because they proved what they think about this with the EVO, it could screenshot with a app without being rooted but they decided to close the access off once they learned that this was the case... I think there is only a one Galaxy S devices *BUT DONT REMEMBER WHICH) that has this option as a stock app.