LAG!!!! Please help

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow I have never wanted to throw a phone so badly before in my life. What is going on with this thing. I have a Droid X2 running stock. No task killers or anything crazy obn the phone and it is just running so laggy. I go to dial a number and it registers my touch a second later for each number and I end up hitting the dial button three times because I keep thinking it is not registering my touch. The browser is completely crawling and when I type in the URL I do not see what I am typing but after hitting go and waiting a minute i takes me wher I want to go. I do not want to do another hard reset and have to set everything back up....UGHHHHH I also do not want to send it back for a refurbed X2 when I have already put on a Skinomi skin on this one.:(

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Try not to throw your phone. It will work worse after the throw.

1. Based on how many posts you have I would assume this is obvious, but have you restarted? Sometimes that's all it takes to clean things out. If so, does it start back up immediately, or does it take a while?
2. Are you using a launcher? Which one? Have you changed any of the memory settings.
3. Go to Settings - Battery & Data Manager - Battery Usage and see what the top few are. Display is typically first followed by normal phone functions or obvious things like if you've been streaming netflix recently. This may indicate if a program has been running a lot. If you haven't restated yet, do this first, the values will get reset when you power down.

Start there and see if we come up with anything.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Try not to throw your phone. It will work worse after the throw.

1. Based on how many posts you have I would assume this is obvious, but have you restarted? Sometimes that's all it takes to clean things out. If so, does it start back up immediately, or does it take a while?
2. Are you using a launcher? Which one? Have you changed any of the memory settings.
3. Go to Settings - Battery & Data Manager - Battery Usage and see what the top few are. Display is typically first followed by normal phone functions or obvious things like if you've been streaming netflix recently. This may indicate if a program has been running a lot. If you haven't restated yet, do this first, the values will get reset when you power down.

Start there and see if we come up with anything.

1. YES
2. No launcher
3. Yes there is nothing obvious.....

I am just going to do a hard reset. UGHHHHHHH

Thanks

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Easiest thing to get "1 Tap Cleaner" it's free and works great. You can set it to clean out cache every week, every day when every you want.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
So the lag is not normal? I came from a Samsung Fascinate and it was pretty snappy. The X2 seems like it takes twice as long to do anything. I'll click on a text message to open it, 5 seconds later it opens. But I just thought the lag was normal for this phone. Apparently it's not?

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Even if you're not rooted, you can boot into recovery to clear your cache. Let me see if I can get this right...

- Turn off your phone
- Hold down the "down volume" button while powering on. You can let go of the power button when you see the green light like normal, but keep holding down the volume down key. When you see "fast boot" you can let go of the volume button.
- press the down volume until you see "Android Recovery"
- pressthe "up volume" to enter.
- you should see the triangle with the exclamation point now.
- press the down AND up volume keys at the same time. Another menu should appear.
- press the down volume to scroll to the bottom choice, "wipe cache partition".
- press the power button to select.
- You'll see a progress indicator working. Once done, you should be back on "reboot system now"
- press the power key to select.

Voila!! This doesn't erase any of your user data or programs. However, doing this too often is not good either. The cache is there to make certain tasks run faster. However, it does clear up some junk.

Reactions: filpak007

DROIDFANX2

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I am also not rooted, but found that if you go to settings<display<animation and select no animations that the phone will open apps faster and my favorite part, go from horizontal view to vertical view 10x faster than before. I am using GO Launcher though so my experience my be different than yours.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am also not rooted, but found that if you go to settings<display<animation and select no animations that the phone will open apps faster and my favorite part, go from horizontal view to vertical view 10x faster than before. I am using GO Launcher though so my experience my be different than yours.

unfortunetly, mine was already set to no animations. I have the same frustrations the op does. NO the lag is not normal, the phone sucks hairy balls. end of story. my X was faster hands down. sometimes i have to wait 30 secs or more for the phone to get around to even attempting to dial the phone after you hit the send key.

I've tried the supercharger script and it has done nothing. its still running on every reboot, i've checked.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay this is what I did and it worked.

I did a "Factory Data Reset" and unchecked "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore"

I then set my phone up from the beginning like it was a new phone and reinstalled all of my apps one at a time.

I now am not experiencing any lag and the phone is working as expected now for about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps, I really do like this phone and now with GB on the horizon I am looking forward to what goodness that will bring.

Thanks