Can't get keypad to work to make calls

momcatt

Dec 14, 2022
Visit site
I have a moto e6. Until quite recently I could make calls simply by hitting the phone icon and then the number pad icon in the lower right corner of the contacts list. Now when I click the number pad icon it goes immediately to contacts. If I need to dial a number not in my contacts I have to make a temporary contact, enter the number, dial the number and then delete the temporary contact I created to simply dial the number. This is annoying. I have not added any apps to my phone. I do not run any apps, I'm old school and only use my phone to call and text. I have tried restarting it, disabling the phone app, updating it, still no luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

momcatt

Dec 14, 2022
Visit site
No it still doesn't work. I just decided to work around it by creating a temporary contact and then deleting it when I've finished the call. It is annoying but the only way I can get it to work. I am merely tapping the keypad button and no matter what I do it goes to add contact.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No it still doesn't work. I just decided to work around it by creating a temporary contact and then deleting it when I've finished the call. It is annoying but the only way I can get it to work. I am merely tapping the keypad button and no matter what I do it goes to add contact.
Welcome to AC!
You the person that originally posted this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Just to be clear, you already tried clearing the app cache/data for the Phone app? I wasn't sure if you were responding to my post.

Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://motorola-mobility-en-xp.cus.../142972/~/using-safe-mode-on-the-moto-e6-plus

momcatt

Dec 14, 2022
Visit site
Yes, I tried changing it to safe mode. I tried turning off the phone app and turning it back on. It used to work and one day I accidently hit the button to dial an emergency number. I did NOT actually dial any number, I got back to the password screen and logged on properly. I'm not sure if that's what's caused the problem or if it was messed up before then. I mainly use my phone to text.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I tried changing it to safe mode. I tried turning off the phone app and turning it back on. It used to work and one day I accidently hit the button to dial an emergency number. I did NOT actually dial any number, I got back to the password screen and logged on properly. I'm not sure if that's what's caused the problem or if it was messed up before then. I mainly use my phone to text.
What do u mean by turning phone app on and off ?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Instead of creating a temp contact just ask Google to make the call. Something like, "hey Google"... "Dial four five six five five five eight seven four two".

In the meantime I'm late to the party so forgive me if I repeat something.

It sounds like you are able to open the app and it doesn't close on you or disappear. That's good.

The issue comes in when you attempt to dial, and this is where I get a little confused. You say that contacts are opened when you press the keypad. Do you mean that if you press a number on the keypad, as if starting to dial a number, the screen changes and opens contacts? Do you mean that you're pressing a 10 dot symbol for the dial pad but instead of opening the 10 digit touch pad it opens contacts, as if the wrong button was pressed? Do you mean that when you begin touching the numbers it begins trying to predict whom you want to call and offers you suggestions from your contacts?

Are you able to finish inputting the number if you just continue and don't get distracted by whatever is on screen? Does the number pad disappear when "the contacts open" or could you continue if you just kept touching numbers?

Are you using the stock dialer? Have you tried another dialer? There are tons of "dialer" "phone" "number pad" apps, whatever you want to call them, at the Play Store. Pick-up one and see if your issue still exists.

You mention turning the Phone app off and on, do you mean closing the app and opening it again or does your phone app some kind of kill switch built in where it's off and... then what? It opens but won't make calls, it opens but has limited options? This one confuses me too, but you don't answer the question of whether or not you cleared the app cache or app data. Did you clear either of them or both of them? I would suggest clearing both. There's nothing for your dialer to log in to and it is associated with the phone so clearing the data should have no ill effect.

If the phone is busy, not a busy signal like back in the day, busy as in some other app is controlling it and preventing you from being able to use it, you can take phone permission away from other apps. This isn't a permanent change, apps needing this permission will ask for it the next time they run or the next time it is needed and then you make the choice just like the first time. Go into Settings and use the search option to search for "permission manager", scroll to the Phone permission, not call log, and remove all apps that can be removed from this permission. Then test if the issue still exists.

Let us know what you find.

Edit: You can also remove the phone app from being the default for another app. This kind of goes with removing the permission. If it is set as the default for some app that isn't closing or acting right it be being kept busy when you're trying to use it. To do this go to Settings>Applications>Phone (there may be more than one app named phone but this is ok to do to all of them)>Set as Default>remove any apps found here. Just like with permissions the next time that app runs it may ask to be the default again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d