bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
How is everyone's battery holding up, It seems to me that I have had to charge it through the day..
My old D1, I could pull it off charge around 530 am and plug it back in around 9pm and still have 30% left on my battery..

This one does not seem to hold as well. I don't feel that I am playing with it anymore than I did with my D1..

bhcohen7

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The battery life is the only part of the phone that disappoints me. Granted, I've been using it quite a bit to set it up and get used to it, but I'm lucky to get 6 to 8 hours of use before a recharge.

xwera43

Dec 20, 2009
www.myspace.com
Today I've had moderate use, just hitting 10hrs and dropped to 40%

Seems OK for 1500mAh and is much better than my Incredible.

X

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
This thing has a strange battery system. Sometimes like yesterday, with moderate use, I got 11 hours. The day before I got 8 hours with moderate heavy use. I also froze the VZ appear yesterday, I wonder if that helped.

bhcohen7

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This thing has a strange battery system. Sometimes like yesterday, with moderate use, I got 11 hours. The day before I got 8 hours with moderate heavy use. I also froze the VZ appear yesterday, I wonder if that helped.

Stagger, what did you mean when you said you "froze the VZ appear yesterday?" I'd like to try it to see if it helps.

WolfsFang

May 19, 2011
Visit site
just bought the extended battery so ill see what i get tomorrow on full charge. Only thing i hate is that the back cover dosent say X2 and its grey compared to the black case.

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So far the best thing I have found on battery savings is to go into the Settings > Battery & data manager > Battery Mode > Select Maximum Battery saver. Going from 7am until 3pm and at 60% battery level. Light use while at work. Will report if I make it thru the day.

Update: I started using it heavily again around 6pm and it got me to 8pm and that was a complete drain to shutdown. One thing I noticed is that once you drain it all the way, putting it on the charger the battery meter still says 0% after 50 minutes so far on the charger and won't let me power it back up yet. Just displays the 0% battery charging on the screen. Anyone know if this is a way it is calibrating the battery somehow? I have always let new devices drain the battery all the way down on the first couple of cycles, but have never seen it take so long to just be able to get enough charge to boot up.

Last edited:

bojowaggie

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
did you read the description of the Maximum Battery Saver:
This is what is says:

While phone is NOT connected to a charger:
* Stops syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity during day and night
* Dims the display.

I would like my phone to sync during the day.. :)

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Stagger, what did you mean when you said you "froze the VZ appear yesterday?" I'd like to try it to see if it helps.

Freezing is something you can do with apps once you root your device and install Titanium Backup. It's sort of easy to mess things up severely once you do have it rooted, so I would read up on it. Also, currently rooting has no other advantage other than freezing apps, and you would be unable to rent movies (when/if it comes out for froyo). I'm fairly certain it voids your warranty as well.

If you still want to do this, check out the Droid X2 Hacking and Developing thread in this section. Then install Titanium Backup (get the pro key as well - it'll be pretty useful later on). Then go to the apps list, touch the app you want to freeze and click freeze. On the reboot it should disappear from your system drawer and no longer run.

It's really pretty easy, but I've been doing this since March 09 with the G1, then most recently the Droid. Also, there is no SBF (I don't know what it stands for, but I call it the safe backup file) lead yet, which means if something happens, you are SOL.

The most draining thing on the Droid X2 (as well as all smartphones) is the radio. If you have the power widget, and are in an area with weak coverage (and don't need to use it) switch it to airplane mode.

I think I'll write a guide to perfect smartphone usage sometime. Theres a lot of tricks for battery life that work with every single smartphone (including this one).

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
did you read the description of the Maximum Battery Saver:
This is what is says:

While phone is NOT connected to a charger:
* Stops syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity during day and night
* Dims the display.

I would like my phone to sync during the day.. :)

It still syncs the important stuff. I still get emails notifications. It affects the lesser important background apps. My LED was still flashing from each of the new emails I got in. The description below the setting is Best battery saving. Least automatic data updates. So some of your widgets might not update, but my hotmail notifications kept on flowing.;)

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
So far the best thing I have found on battery savings is to go into the Settings > Battery & data manager > Battery Mode > Select Maximum Battery saver. Going from 7am until 3pm and at 60% battery level. Light use while at work. Will report if I make it thru the day.

Update: I started using it heavily again around 6pm and it got me to 8pm and that was a complete drain to shutdown. One thing I noticed is that once you drain it all the way, putting it on the charger the battery meter still says 0% after 50 minutes so far on the charger and won't let me power it back up yet. Just displays the 0% battery charging on the screen. Anyone know if this is a way it is calibrating the battery somehow? I have always let new devices drain the battery all the way down on the first couple of cycles, but have never seen it take so long to just be able to get enough charge to boot up.

Update on the charging. Still 0% after 1 hour. I unplugged the charger cable and plugged it right back in and it said I have 60% charge and it booted right up. Hummmm!:eek:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting my X2 in a couple of days. I will swap out the extended Motorola battery in my DX.
I will post my findings.Currently the DX / Gingerbread with extended battery lasts all day with heavy use, by 9:00pm I am around 50% - 60%. Hopefully I will get the same results from the stock X2.
And I did notice a gain when I loaded GB on my DX so I am guessing that GB on the X2 should help.

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 on the max battery mode. I have been going from 7am to 10pm and I just got the 5% battery warning. I actually used it more than yesterday also. So it seems like the battery is finally getting better.

JDRiggs

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on my X2 is horrible compared to my X. It's not even 11 and I'm below 40%. That usually hit around 4pm each day.

If it doesn't improve it's going to be exchanged. Just don't have any idea what I'd exchange it for.

mikey95gt

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Day 3 on Max battery saver mode. 7am to 8:15 at 40%. Actually made it thru the whole day yesterday. It seems like the phone is starting to settle in on the battery. I use the GPS, bluetooth, and WiFi widgets to turn those off when I am not using them. I have been just thru my normal week days usage. I am going to try to intentionally push it more again. Even with in Max battery saver mode, I have only once had a widget that did not have data on it until I opened it. See get my emails pushed to me in the normal timely manner. I even have Light flow running all the time to light up my LED and vibrate whenever I get an email. SMS, calendar reminders and it does not seem to miss a beat. I am on 3G while at work then WiFi when I get home.

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Today, as of right now, I am sitting at 13h, 9mins of battery life with 40% remaining.

This has me convinced of several things. First, we really need an SBF.

Second, after we get the SBF i can confirm it, but I think there is an actual problem in Android FroYo reading battery life. This problem seems to be fixed in GB.
Proof:
Droid A855 Running 2.0.2 Sapphire rom, got about 8 hours of battery life. About the time it hit 20% left, the device would shut off and fail to boot.
Droid A855 Running CM6.1.2 got about 9 hours of battery life. About the time it hit 20% left, the device would shut off and fail to boot.
Droid A855 Running LGB 1.3 got about 11 hours of battery life. Shut off when the battery emptied.
Droid A855 Running CM7 got about 14 hours of battery life. Shut off when the battery emptied.
Droid A855 Running LGB 1.85 in airplane mode, 5 days, 12 hours, 27m, and has 70% of battery left. (This is a test I started after I got my Droid X2)

What does this mean to us?

I think it means that software upgrades will have the ability to immensely increase the battery life, the hard ware is all there, now its up to the software people (who really have the hardest job in the world) And we need to be patient. We'll be fine. (Although, i'll admit, they probably could save a lot of time and such if they just left it to the AOSP commmunity, but we're not that lucky in this case.)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Day 2 of X2 with Motorola extended battery.
Use appears about the same as DX with the same battery.
Yesterday as not a heavy use day but by 9:00pm was at about 50%.
Need more time to really evaluate.
One negative, the X2 has a black back and the extended battery cover is gray (like the DX)....looks a little goofy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez