battery life

Rich Rasp

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Normally, I NEVER go with the default auto brightness setting. Usually I will set it to like 50% or so. I was getting poor battery on the droid with this setting. I checked the battery use log and the screen was taking more than 70% of my battery. After a day of changing it to auto brightness again, the battery use log is saying something in the mid 30% range for battery use on the screen.

Galindo6291

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm a bit dissapounted with the battery life. Storms battery life was sligthly better

For consecutive browsing, I get about 50-60minutes of straight browsing until 10 percent goes off.

I keep my setting for pretty much optimal for battery endurance. I keep the brightness at its lowest. All syncing and a bunch of other things are off.

SilverLight98

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It lasts me about a day with a decent amount of use. What really is starting to annoy me is the lack of a "quit" option with most programs that will kill the app. I keep on having to go to the Task Manager app to truly kill the app. If I don't do this the battery dies pretty quickly

jburke82

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
bad battery or bad phone??

My girlfriend has had her droid for about a week. Just yhesterday her phone died and wouldn't charge. When she finally got it to charge, the charge wouldn't hold...itg died in about 3 hours. Do you think this is a battery issue, or an issue with the device?

JGR4444

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
what the issue... take it to verizon... they will probably just give you a whole new device and battery so you wont have to worry about it

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I have my screen brightness at about 40% (I found the auto setting wasn't doing that great of a job) and with normal/medium use (couple minutes of web browsing, maybe an hour total of talk time, a hundred or so texts) I can get through a full day and have about 30% battery life by the time I am ready for bed at midnight or so. I unplug my phone around 9AM on a normal day.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
After changing the display brightness to about 30% or a little less, Im still getting the screen causing 50%+ of my battery useage. Sorta getting frustrating with the terrible battery life of my phone.

Today, I browsed the net, took a few pics all in about a 10-15 min period and my battery went from 3/4 full to about 1/2 full... That is VERY unacceptable in my opinion and quite frankly rediculous for a few hundred dollar phone. Don't get me wrong, I love the phone and what I can do with it but the battery is dying at a rediculous rate with me barely.. and I mean barely using it.

Any suggestions? Should I take it back and ask for an exchange for a new one again? Its been a few weeks since I got it...

Last edited:

d1pham

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can get around 12-18 hours on a single charge depending on usage. The longest I've gone on a single charge was 26 hours before the device powered down.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
With all of the discussion of what is "acceptable" battery life, no one really has said what this should be. It seems that "acceptable" really means "more than I'm getting now." (I'm excluding situations where the battery is clearly faulty.)

My Droid is a very powerful device, when you consider all I expect it to do. I'll be the first one to get a better battery when one is available, but it's current power usage has to be "acceptable" because that's the trade off between power and power source.

When my wife bought her Eris I told her she should charge it every night. She was shocked. The little Samsung phone she'd had for two years could get her through two days of use and she assumed that was typical. Now, she appreciates that she has to monitor battery use more carefully. It's just a fact of life, but she loves her Eris's features.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
With all of the discussion of what is "acceptable" battery life, no one really has said what this should be. It seems that "acceptable" really means "more than I'm getting now." (I'm excluding situations where the battery is clearly faulty.)

My Droid is a very powerful device, when you consider all I expect it to do. I'll be the first one to get a better battery when one is available, but it's current power usage has to be "acceptable" because that's the trade off between power and power source.

When my wife bought her Eris I told her she should charge it every night. She was shocked. The little Samsung phone she'd had for two years could get her through two days of use and she assumed that was typical. Now, she appreciates that she has to monitor battery use more carefully. It's just a fact of life, but she loves her Eris's features.

When I personally say unacceptable,I mean more then a few hours of useage without my phones battery life dying more then half my bar. Like I said, I used my phone for about 10-15 min of broswer useage, texting, and my battery went from 3/4 full to a 1/4 full. I dont care how powerful the device is, If my battery dies that quick when Im using it then thats pathetic for a 600 dollar device.

I absolutely love what I CAN do with it but taking it back and exchanging it or seing if they will for a new droid to see if it was a faulty battery may be something that I'd consider. Half the time my phones idle and Im not using it and even then it still dies extremely quick. I perfectly understand how powerful these devices are and know that their going to eat up a lot of battery life but im just stumped with how fast it dies. ( Again, mine may be faulty and it sure as hell seems like it. 1/2 of my battery down in 10-15 min doesnt sound right...)

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
When I personally say unacceptable,I mean more then a few hours of useage without my phones battery life dying more then half my bar. Like I said, I used my phone for about 10-15 min of broswer useage, texting, and my battery went from 3/4 full to a 1/4 full. I dont care how powerful the device is, If my battery dies that quick when Im using it then thats pathetic for a 600 dollar device.

I absolutely love what I CAN do with it but taking it back and exchanging it or seing if they will for a new droid to see if it was a faulty battery may be something that I'd consider. Half the time my phones idle and Im not using it and even then it still dies extremely quick. I perfectly understand how powerful these devices are and know that their going to eat up a lot of battery life but im just stumped with how fast it dies. ( Again, mine may be faulty and it sure as hell seems like it. 1/2 of my battery down in 10-15 min doesnt sound right...)

Totally agree with you, that battery has to last lot longer than what you see now. Go to a VZW store explain exactly like you posted here and get that battery exchanged.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

I agree. I think you have a bad battery. Which makes me wonder: battery technology seems pretty tried and true, yet there have been a number of posts about bad batteries. What gives?

tealturboser

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hmm , I think maybe i need to turn of wifi when i'm not using it and change the brightness setting to like 30 or 40% instead of auto and that should fix my problems. I tend to get to about 20% when using from like 8-8 so I guess 12 hours is good

Grombar

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
For the most part Ive been happy with the battery life, but as others have said a few changes to how things run and it gets much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non