"Select All" App for E-Mail?

ValleyForge

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Brethren & Cistern -

Faced with the prospect of deleting 697 individual emails from my now utterly obsolete Droid (hey, it's been 6 weeks; what do you want?), I'm wondering if anyone has encountered an app that will allow a one-operation annihilation of deleted emails?

"The Android has many an app
That makes daily living a snap;
But once they're installed
We are quickly appalled
As they mostly are nothing but crap."

-- ValleyForge

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Why do you need to delete all those emails? Are you planning on selling it?
If that's the case, I think un-syncing your phone with your gmail account will do basically the same thing.

ValleyForge

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nah. If they want my Droid, they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers....
Just didn't realize I had to delete what I had deleted. Silly me. I do hope we eventually get a "Select All" choice, though.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Brethren & Cistern -

Faced with the prospect of deleting 697 individual emails from my now utterly obsolete Droid (hey, it's been 6 weeks; what do you want?), I'm wondering if anyone has encountered an app that will allow a one-operation annihilation of deleted emails?

"The Android has many an app
That makes daily living a snap;
But once they're installed
We are quickly appalled
As they mostly are nothing but crap."

-- ValleyForge

Nah. If they want my Droid, they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers....
Just didn't realize I had to delete what I had deleted. Silly me. I do hope we eventually get a "Select All" choice, though.

ok.... I'm confused... do you like the Droid or not?

Now, for your issue: Are you trying to delete multiple emails from your inbox? Or, are you trying to empty your trash can? There is a difference.

Another important question, why are you deleting the messages? I come from a Blackberry background and I'm very familiar with system slowness / memory management / cache and memory cleaning / etc. So, I totally understand the desire to clear out old messages that are bogging down your phone - is that the issue? If so, then the question should be, "how do I free file free memory?"

If you, like me, just don't like NOT being able to do something and want better control of options - I understand.

I may offer a suggestion to quickly fix this issue and avoid having the problem later. Access your email thru your regular PC. If it's yahoo, gmail, or even thru Outlook it'll be a snap to select multiple (even hundreds) of emails and quickly delete them. I agree - it's a pain in the neck to select and delete individual emails on the Droid. I know of no way to select multiple messages (like Blackberry). NOW, once your inbox is cleaned up, just delete them after you read them to avoid the inbox getting so full in the future.

OR..... are you saying that you have in fact deleted them (perhaps in your inbox on the desktop version) and they are STILL showing up in your droid's inbox? Is this the combined email inbox? one particular email server? old messages? outbox? trash? spam?

Also, based on your little poem, you seem to have an aversion to what you consider useless and silly apps. I agree, many are pointless. But, I find it ironic that you detest apps, yet immidiately consider a solution by way of an app before even considering user error or desktop inbox management. Perhaps you would derive benefit from more system knowledge, more use of the "delete" option once email is read, and more informatively stating the nature of your problem as it appears that the responses to your query are confused as to what your issue is.

MrEL337

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I agree, the phone really needs that option. Selecting individual emails when you have a large amount to delete is cumbersome. I receive in the neighborhood of 50 to 75 emails on some days and at times I need to get rid of the greater majority of them just to keep down on the clutter. Simply being able to select an entire run of email with one push would save me a bunch of time. Still love this phone though, smokes my old Blackberry.

Oh and on another note, would be nice to select contacts from the contact list when sending a text to more than 1 person. Having to sit there and continually type in names into the contact field annoys me ever so greatly. This is a pretty basic feature for any phone. Not sure why Google left it out. And I know there is likely a messaging app that could rectify that for me but it should already be a feature of the stock OS. Just my 2 cents...

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
ok.... I'm confused... do you like the Droid or not?

Now, for your issue: Are you trying to delete multiple emails from your inbox? Or, are you trying to empty your trash can? There is a difference.

Another important question, why are you deleting the messages? I come from a Blackberry background and I'm very familiar with system slowness / memory management / cache and memory cleaning / etc. So, I totally understand the desire to clear out old messages that are bogging down your phone - is that the issue? If so, then the question should be, "how do I free file free memory?"

If you, like me, just don't like NOT being able to do something and want better control of options - I understand.

I may offer a suggestion to quickly fix this issue and avoid having the problem later. Access your email thru your regular PC. If it's yahoo, gmail, or even thru Outlook it'll be a snap to select multiple (even hundreds) of emails and quickly delete them. I agree - it's a pain in the neck to select and delete individual emails on the Droid. I know of no way to select multiple messages (like Blackberry). NOW, once your inbox is cleaned up, just delete them after you read them to avoid the inbox getting so full in the future.

OR..... are you saying that you have in fact deleted them (perhaps in your inbox on the desktop version) and they are STILL showing up in your droid's inbox? Is this the combined email inbox? one particular email server? old messages? outbox? trash? spam?

Also, based on your little poem, you seem to have an aversion to what you consider useless and silly apps. I agree, many are pointless. But, I find it ironic that you detest apps, yet immidiately consider a solution by way of an app before even considering user error or desktop inbox management. Perhaps you would derive benefit from more system knowledge, more use of the "delete" option once email is read, and more informatively stating the nature of your problem as it appears that the responses to your query are confused as to what your issue is.
Wow...
You virtually stated everything that I was going to say.
Uncanny.:)

ValleyForge

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The problem is with already deleted mails from Dear Old Comcast - the Gmail stuff is easy. And BTW, I love the Droid - I think it's a great piece of hardware with a terrific OS - I like it far better than my wife's iPhone. And I don't detest apps - why would I want a Smart Phone if I did? However, I do indeed think a lot of the apps out there are really frivolous and poorly written.

And gee whiz, thanks for the critique of my posting. I'll try to be more Promethean in the future :)

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Using a computer is great if you have IMAP. It does no good with POP. I have many many emails in the deleted folder. It sucks selecting one at a time to delete them all. The email program really needs a select all or purge option.

It would also be nice to have a delete from server option. Snappermail has that feature. It's great for managing email on the go. Delete once from the handheld and not have to mess with it on the computer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87