Can't shut off Alarm clocki on Droid

marktaylor22

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Odd problem, maybe someone can relate! I'm running Android 2.1 rooted on BB. I had this problem on Android stock 2.01 on the Droid with Verizon as well. My alarm clock goes off normally as it should however for the life of me I cannot shut it off no matter what I do. The only way I am able to turn it off is by doing a battery pull. I put the Droid on the desk next to me when I go to bed, and when I wake up the screen will not unlock unless I really press down on the slider. Once I unlock the phone I have to press hard to get it to respond to my touch.

Side note: my bedroom temp is usually 60 degrees.. the screen in the morning is cool, not freezing cold.

Also, a friend told me that the Droid screen works by detecting heat off someone's finger.. True? If it's true, then if the Droid screen is cold, then will it only respond if it heats up?

Can anyone relate to my problem?

Thanks!

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Never had the Droid give my girlfriend or I troubles due to cold fingers. Unless they are ice cold, it shouldn't affect it at all.

The Droid's screen is capacitative, which means it gets activated through the electricity in your finger. It has nothing to do with heat.

Sometimes a Droid (or another android phone) is laggy waking up. On the force close side, you may want to try to uninstall and re-install the clock app, that might do it.

dst255

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Is your phone plugged in to charge while this happens? If so, is it plugged in using the wall adapter that was included with the Droid?

When I first got my Droid I plugged my media dock into my old BlackBerry AC to USB adapter that was already next to my bed. When it in the dock with that adapter, my screen was horribly inaccurate. When I switched it out for the AC adapter that came with the Droid, it was back to normal. There must have been a voltage difference or something that was affecting it.

marktaylor22

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'm using the original 2 Ft cord that came with the droid. The droid feels cold when I pick it up to shut it off, but i literally have to press into the screen to move the slider and then push to shut it off. It feels weird when I do it too.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
the only problem I have had with the alarm is getting the side button to dismiss it. the stock alarm all has a setting called "side buton behavior" mine seems to do nothing at all - ever. oh well, I WAS complaining until I read your issue - geesh, a battery pull to turn that darn thing off, that's harsh.

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
the only problem I have had with the alarm is getting the side button to dismiss it. the stock alarm all has a setting called "side buton behavior" mine seems to do nothing at all - ever. oh well, I WAS complaining until I read your issue - geesh, a battery pull to turn that darn thing off, that's harsh.

If I had to pull my battery maybe I would actually get up. I loved my Droid alarm for the first few weeks, but now my brain has trained itself to navigate my arms/fingers to turn off the droid alarm just the same way it always did my bedside clock.

I wish the popup for "snooze / dismiss" would:

A) appear in a different place on the screen each time
B) switch the order of the buttons
C) require a pattern unlock

maggiem

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem - it's super annoying. I'm also plugged in by the plug that came with the droid. I can eventually get the "power off" menu to come up, but that's it. This happens most days and is getting quite bothersome!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If I had to pull my battery maybe I would actually get up. I loved my Droid alarm for the first few weeks, but now my brain has trained itself to navigate my arms/fingers to turn off the droid alarm just the same way it always did my bedside clock.

I wish the popup for "snooze / dismiss" would:

A) appear in a different place on the screen each time
B) switch the order of the buttons
C) require a pattern unlock

I saw an app in market that (seriously) made you complete a simple math problem -- I just searched for it. It's called "math alarm clock" (whaddaya know? pretty original name) It's $1.99. But, looks like it would do what you want.

Last edited:

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I also had the problem. Pluged into a wall charger on the desktop cradle. Had to pull battery to get it to shut off.
I have not used my alarm since.