Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)

dmcgroggan3

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Att?

I know there is the GSM version that is completely blacked out. It may be best to wait to see what happens with that device to see if it lands on AT&T early next year.

Maybe next year??
Really, I wouldn't hold your breath, you would be holding it a long time, like maybe forever! Maybe Mexico, Canada etc., Do the typical GSM thing and purchase one from overseas for $600, unlock it etc, that may work. But the GSM version may be months from now, but ATT, good luck with that. Or just get a real network and pay your ETF, that would be cheaper. Now all the T-Mobile fanboys jump in and say how much cheaper their plans are. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

My buddy has cricket, great plan, but every time I call him he drops me, he switched to t-mob and now he does get his txt messages most of the time lol.

And the look of the device is charcoal black, not cheep gray like some pics show. And all I can say is that you need to hold this device in your hands and not judge it by pics, Think better than Razor2 build quality!!

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
To me I've noticed way too many little things that bother me with HTC devices. I will admit I was not a fan of this device at first but it's looking better.

I have to honestly say I have only 2 of the problems that are on the list of 17 known problems. No dust, nothing, maybe because I Zagged it right off the bat.

I'm working on a few of the issues with a HTC guy, things are going good so far, in fact they're much better.

Reactions: Jeremy

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Maybe next year??
Really, I wouldn't hold your breath, you would be holding it a long time, like maybe forever! Maybe Mexico, Canada etc., Do the typical GSM thing and purchase one from overseas for $600, unlock it etc, that may work. But the GSM version may be months from now, but ATT, good luck with that. Or just get a real network and pay your ETF, that would be cheaper. Now all the T-Mobile fanboys jump in and say how much cheaper their plans are. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

My buddy has cricket, great plan, but every time I call him he drops me, he switched to t-mob and now he does get his txt messages most of the time lol.

And the look of the device is charcoal black, not cheep gray like some pics show. And all I can say is that you need to hold this device in your hands and not judge it by pics, Think better than Razor2 build quality!!

A GSM version clearly exists as I'm sure you have seen in the video that has been floating around. So either it will be sold unlocked or end up on a GSM carrier here in the US.

Again all of this "my carrier is better than your carrier" really never made sense to me...

dmcgroggan3

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
A GSM version clearly exists as I'm sure you have seen in the video that has been floating around. So either it will be sold unlocked or end up on a GSM carrier here in the US.

I would lean more towards option A, but what do I know. You would still have to unlock it and pay an arm and a leg, and my point was, then why not pay your ETF instead of Full Retail (cost the same) and move to Big Red, its a relevant point.

Again all of this "my carrier is better than your carrier" really never made sense to me...

If a debate about better quality carriers does not make sense to you I wonder if you have ever had a good carrier, and a debate about it, isn't that what forums are for, discussions about what people think, opinions hopefully grounded in some or a lot of truth. So I don't get how a discussion about what carrier is stronger "does not make sense." I believe it is incredibly relevant to cell phone discussion. Its not a "Mine is better than yours" thing and I never said it was. Just making a comparison and point, and I thought a good one. Nuf said :D

Last edited:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
If a debate about better quality carriers does not make sense to you I wonder if you have ever had a good carrier, and a debate about it, isn't that what forums are for, discussions about what people think, opinions hopefully grounded in some or a lot of truth. So I don't get how a discussion about what carrier is stronger "does not make sense." I believe it is incredibly relevant to cell phone discussion. Its not a "Mine is better than yours" thing and I never said it was. Just making a comparison and point, and I thought a good one. Nuf said :D

"What carrier is stronger" is the pretty much the same thing as "my carrier is better than yours"....

Where would a debate go if your carrier is superb in your area and mine is superb here? How is that in any way a good comparison or point? What did you just prove? The quality of the carrier is all relative to your location unless you want to start debating customer service...

So you can debate all you want with whomever you want. Just not in this thread. Let's keep this one on topic.

Thanks.

(Here you go: Carriers)

dmcgroggan3

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
"What carrier is stronger" is the pretty much the same thing as "my carrier is better than yours"....

Where would a debate go if your carrier is superb in your area and mine is superb here? How is that in any way a good comparison or point? What did you just prove? The quality of the carrier is all relative to your location unless you want to start debating customer service...

So you can debate all you want with whomever you want. Just not in this thread. Let's keep this one on topic.

Thanks.

(Here you go: Carriers)

Wow,
If it is not a place to talk about carriers, why do you keep talking about it? I know, I know, gotta regulate, It all started because I just said, why pay so much to unlock a GSM version when you can get one for $200 instead of $600 and get great service with it. A valid point, but someone has a chip on their shoulder because I read through this whole thread and my original point is just as on topic as all the other assorted random posts in this thread.
;)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Wow,
If it is not a place to talk about carriers, why do you keep talking about it? I know, I know, gotta regulate, It all started because I just said, why pay so much to unlock a GSM version when you can get one for $200 instead of $600 and get great service with it. A valid point, but someone has a chip on their shoulder because I read through this whole thread and my original point is just as on topic as all the other assorted random posts in this thread.
;)

Friendly reminder: Carriers ;)