Some questions about apps and other things

ChainPunch

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I am looking at making the switch from a blackberry tour, but have some questions:

Can flash be uninstalled?
Can the default google apps be unstalled?
Can the phone be used without having a gmail account?
Does google have their terms of use for android listed anywhere online so that I can read it?

I have no need for the app market and just looking for a phone that can handle calls, texts, take pictures & videos, and email (from a non-gmail account).

ChainPunch

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I still want to be able to send and get emails from my phone, just not from a google email account (since I don't have one and not interested in having one) and camera wise the better cameras are in smartphones rather than the regular dumb phones. My blackberry tour, with no added apps, meets my needs for the most part but there are problems with my phone hardware and software. The new blackberry curve and the bold has no autofocus. I want a smartphone that can be my one device without the need to carry around other tech. I did end up getting the Electrify and so to answer my own questions:

Can flash be uninstalled? No, but can be disable by disabling browser plugins
Can the default google apps be unstalled? No
Can the phone be used without having a gmail account? Yes
Does google have their terms of use for android listed anywhere online so that I can read it? Yes

n1philli

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Gmail account is only for backing up contacts, calender events, etc. It's not a necessity.
More or less it's to enable Google's features that they provide using their email service.
I personally had a Blackberry Torch (the new Storm) before the Electrify and I think their 5mp camera is a little better than that Electrify's. However, they're both great phones and I kind of miss my Torch honestly. Blackberry did a hell of an upgrade to their new OS. I just thought I'd give Android another chance. So far, so good with the Electrify though.

Harley Kid

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to agree with Oreseto. I have multiple email and the gmail is an option to send the junk mail. GPS (which has replaced the Garmin and is much more accurate) can be turned off and most of the other tasks you wish to either uninstall or remove would make the phone a waste of money (IMHO) I have had the Blackberry Bold , the iTurd 4, the Galaxy S and a few other phones that can't do what this phone does. I have recently been able to leave the laptop at the house and be confident that I could read documents & PDFs, electronicly sign and return them. I am more than pleased with this new phone and would be lost without it's "smart" attributes.

ChainPunch

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing about the blackberry torch 9850 is that they included autofocus on the camera, but not for the new curve or the bold. I prefer a physical keyboard, but the fact blackberry left out autofocus for the curve and bold made me think about looking at other options. I don't see having a smartphone with the options I stated being a waste of money if it provide the functions that I want, but it is clear that the options that I want is not how the android platform was design to work.

nas2389

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Gmail account is only for backing up contacts, calender events, etc. It's not a necessity.
More or less it's to enable Google's features that they provide using their email service.

I know CircleCrane said he didn't need it but it is also required if you want to be able to download anything from the android market.

dragontology

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while, but it's also worth noting that a Gmail account gives you cloud storage and web management of your contacts. Just add the Gmail account and let it sync. Then log in to Gmail on your PC and fill in all the information. Pictures, addresses, stuff like that. Then just don't use your Gmail, or use it for registration on websites. You register, they email you, it comes up on your phone, you hit the link and close it, beat not missed.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87