Just rooted now i have a question

jsharp

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted yesterday and am wondering where I can find the deodexed file. I would like to try a rom and thought u had to have that to install one.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Which ROM and what did you root? For the most part the ROMs I've played with just need a rooted phone on the right flavor (CM7 needs rooted Froyo, Liberty rooted Gingerbread). I haven't played with the others (Apex, Rubix, etc.) so you may need a different base for some.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted yesterday and am wondering where I can find the deodexed file. I would like to try a rom and thought u had to have that to install one.

So reading what you posted in another thread .
The thread that has the video of flashing the 2 part GB .596
I assume your on rooted GB .596 ,and you now want to deodexed the .596 GB now ?

jsharp

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for getting back so quick. I'm not sure what I want. I want to be able to try some roms and so I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I posted in the other thread and then realized that probably was not the best place to put it. It took me about a month of reading and asking questions before I decided to root. So I guess I'm just trying to figure it out before I jump in.

I've downloaded rom manager. Any other apps you would recommend?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Titanium Backup is a must, it will backup your apps and their data. Be careful with restores, I typically let the Market redownload just about everything and only restore data to some key apps (saved game progress in some cases, Google Authenticator, ConnectBot [I've got a few complex setups], etc.). The more you install fresh the more stable your system will be.

Personally, I'd recommend either Liberty or CM7 as a starter ROM. Liberty because it's easy, CM7 because it's the current hot ROM so you'll get a lot of discussion on it.

Liberty is based on the Gingerbread Moto ROM but needs the donate version of the Liberty Toolbox installed to access it. It's very easy to install, full-featured, and lets you use the Moto apps as needed.

CM7 is probably the most popular ROM because it runs on a lot of phones. It's still pre-beta for the X, but works well. The downside is that it's not based on a Moto image so you don't get things like HDMI support, the Blur camera (which is excellent, BTW), or some other features. It's also a work in progress so expect bugs, poor battery life, and frequent update opportunities. To install it you'll need to drop down to Froyo to get the older kernel, but it is a Gingerbread ROM.

There's some discussion of other ROMs in this thread, all worth researching:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...cks/92154-rom-stock-matter-you-poll-time.html