Adopt-A-Newb

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all! I got the idea for this thread on the Evo 3D forums. I am looking for a pro who would like to be my mentor. I am not completely brain dead when it comes to fiddling with my Droid X, but I would like to get the most out of it.

I am currently running Apex RC2.

If anyone would be up to the task, please respond here or PM me. Id appreciate it greatly! Id also encourage anyone else who is in my boat to ask for assistance in this thread as well. Maybe we can start a mentoring program haha.

Thanks again guys and I look forward to anyone willing to be my mentor!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I like this idea! I'm just rooted my DX last night and am looking for guidance on a ROM to flash. I'm coming from DInc so I'm familiar with flashing but have no idea which ROMs are good for the DX.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been rooted and ROMd for awhile now (currently on CM7, but have used numerous Apex and Liberty versions). I am no pro, but I am more than willing to work with newbies, but would also like help taking it to the next level.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been rooted and ROMd for awhile now (currently on CM7, but have used numerous Apex and Liberty versions). I am no pro, but I am more than willing to work with newbies, but would also like help taking it to the next level.
When trying to flash CM7 Nightly 78 I get the following....

Any help would be appreciated...

assert failed: /tmp/check_kernel

E:Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-78.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Nice... its pretty much identical to what I'm used to on the DInc!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RageXmods

Jul 14, 2011
www.youtube.com
"Adopt a noob" lol. I like that. I've actually adopted a few already that had questions on my channel. I know this looks like a shameless plug but I really do like to help newbs which is why I started it. One of my videos has already been stickied on this site. It has step by step HD tutorial videos (and full Rom reviews). If you're new, I seriously advise you check them out. They are very detail oriented and the Rom tutorials show you how to get from any state to the Rom it is featuring. If you have questions about any of them, don't hesitate to ask :) http://www.youtube.com/user/RageXmods?feature=mhee

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to check out your channel right now!! So glad I followed the tutorial posted because I'm really loving the DX again without the Blur!!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Well I do have one question...

I power off to charge but when I plug in the DX turns back on. I'm using CM7 Nightly #78. Can I fix this?

RageXmods

Jul 14, 2011
www.youtube.com

I power off to charge but when I plug in the DX turns back on. I'm using CM7 Nightly #78. Can I fix this?

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but I believe I read that is an issue with cm7 (and other 2nd init roms for that matter). Honestly I don't know if there is a fix....I don't power my phone off during charging, so I've never dug into the issue. Fyi, I just plugged my phone in while powered down (running Miui-also 2nd init Rom like cm7) and it did the same thing, so what I read was correct.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Mumford change your "devices" :). Be proud you own an X!

....says the guy who has no device listed lol
HaHa at the devices...

The power down doesn't look like too big of an issue as I didn't notice the quick battery decline due to being plugged in and powered on...

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey RageX, I'm currently sporting Apex RC2. The things I would like to improve about my phone are battery life and some speed I guess, although it's pretty fast.

Any suggestions, a rom I should switch to, tweaks I can add? Anything?

Also, what is your current opinion of CM7? Is it worth it to install yet, or is it still way to "Beta" to mess around with yet? I'm not really interested in playing with the rom, I want my phone to work well so I dont have to worry about it.

cron912

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

The ability to charge while powered off is part of the Blur framework. So in short, no, you can't fix it. I've heard that someone with CM has looked at what it would take to add this, and it may be added at some point.

RageXmods

Jul 14, 2011
www.youtube.com
Hey RageX, I'm currently sporting Apex RC2. The things I would like to improve about my phone are battery life and some speed I guess, although it's pretty fast.

Also, what is your current opinion of CM7? Is it worth it to install yet, or is it still way to "Beta" to mess around with yet? I'm not really interested in playing with the rom, I want my phone to work well so I dont have to worry about it.
If you just want speed and battery life, I wouldn't move from Apex. If you wanted customization instead of battery life, I would say run a 2nd init rom such as cm7 or miui. I haven't tried cm7 on gb yet, but I hear it still has a little less battery life than Apex and such, but better than cm7 on Froyo.

RageXmods

Jul 14, 2011
www.youtube.com

I also want to add that if you're worried about functionality, and it seems like you are, the fact that you can add certain elements of blur to Apex is a plus for you. With roms like c m 7, you can't do that. An example would be blur gallery which allows the use of hdmi port. That's something to consider.