Battery life is terrible after 3.2 update?

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Since the 3.2 update my Xoom's battery life has been terrible. Has anyone else had the same issue? My xoom is the wifi/3g one, I have not activated it on verizon however.

Thanks!

ISSUE STILL UNRESOLVED... I appreciate any help!
Android OS is using up all my battery while my Xoom is idle
I've factory reset multiple times (hard and soft reset)
let the battery die and reset multiple times
3g radio is off
mobile networks is off

Last edited:

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
No I am still getting the exact same battery life I was prior to the 3.2 update. Did you add any new apps around the same time? Are you using to watch movies or anything like that more now that you have access to the SD card?

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
There's gotta be an outside cause. Check your battery usage to see what app is taking the most juice. I had this problem and found that something was up with my email, it kept continually refreshing, killing my battery life. Something was wrong, it could not load what it was trying to load but kept trying over and over again. I took that account off, re-added it and set it to refresh every hour, battery life has been normal since.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
We have three XOOMs. There is no difference for us between 3.1 and 3.2.

My concern is how much current the 4G radio will take. So far, my questions about battery life with 4G have gone unanswered on the "I've got my 4G upgrade..." thread.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I checked my battery usage yesterday, after the xoom sat idle for most of the day on a fresh charge. I had 10% juice left and the #1 power draw was "Android OS" at 57% followed by screen at just over 20%.
There are no apps that making a dent. But the OS taking up that much power is a concern I think...

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend that you do a factory reset if you're up to it. Also, check if you turned your 3G radio on by any chance; that would certainly kill your battery.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend that you do a factory reset if you're up to it. Also, check if you turned your 3G radio on by any chance; that would certainly kill your battery.

Good thinking! under mobile networks "data enabled" was selected. I unselected it now. If nothing changes I'll try factory resetting the Xoom next.

Thanks!

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Alright a day later the battery life has not improved. I just tried hard factory resetting, we'll see if that helps...

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No luck after hard factory reset the os is still killing my battery :-(
IMG_20110910_154646.jpg

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I feel like when I turn off the screen the xoom is failing to idle and I'm guessing this is why "android os" is using so much battery. Anybody, any ideas?

ikiji

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Same here, ever since going from 3.0.

Watched 2hrs of BBC iPlayer2 and that's it .. idle for rest. 56 hrs later and at 19%.
The unit is under 5 months old and used to last 10 days on idle no problem.

Gallery is showing as having used 87% ... I don't even have any images or video on it :-(

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Since the 3.2 update my Xoom's battery life has been terrible. Has anyone else had the same issue? My xoom is the wifi/3g one, I have not activated it on verizon however.

Thanks!

My wifi only model updated within one week of purchase which was very little time to tell a difference between the two. But I can say the battery life seems very good. I suppose its like a phone, many Apps running in the background can drain a battery.

Make sure your screen shuts off in two minutes, set wifi to stop when screen times out.

Also this might help, if you have tons of stuff running, but there is a limit, power of and restart.

Last edited:

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Depending on how you use your Xoom this may or may not work for you.

Before I updated my Xoom, I had the "Use wireless networks" option under Location & Security unchecked in Settings. After the update, my battery life plummeted. That option was checked after the update. It seemed like Android was constantly checking what its location was when on my wireless network at home and it seems like it prevented the Xoom from really going to sleep.

Unchecking that option brought me back from single day battery life multiple day battery life.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Depending on how you use your Xoom this may or may not work for you.

Before I updated my Xoom, I had the "Use wireless networks" option under Location & Security unchecked in Settings. After the update, my battery life plummeted. That option was checked after the update. It seemed like Android was constantly checking what its location was when on my wireless network at home and it seems like it prevented the Xoom from really going to sleep.

Unchecking that option brought me back from single day battery life multiple day battery life.

Alright I'm giving this a try. Also I make sure to turn the screen off myself whenever I set the Xoom down.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
One more thing I'm running on a fresh factory reset with only a couple apps installed. I had no apps installed for a few days to make sure it wasn't related to any particular apps that I installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa