unexpected ota ics upgrade

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does video play better with ICS on the Xoom? Video has never worked that well on my Xoom. I have a single core Vizio tablet and video works better on that tablet.

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Why should Motorola even care about people who spent $800 on the Xoom?

Sent from my 4G Xoom using Tapatalk.
Clearly they don't. Just as they don't care about anyone who purchased a Bionic, or Razr.

To be fair Motorola isn't the bad guy here. The people to blame would be Google's Android team as it's a GED. Motorola can only really be blamed for not making it more abundantly clear that the Xoom is a GED, how GED's work and that whole clusterf**k fiasco with the 4g update.

As I see it, we can just sit back for now and hope that Google continues to send love in the direction of our Xoom's like they did with the Nexus One (until ICS of course)...then root to the high heavens when they stop.

deckem

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To be fair Motorola isn't the bad guy here. The people to blame would be Google's Android team as it's a GED. Motorola can only really be blamed for not making it more abundantly clear that the Xoom is a GED, how GED's work and that whole clusterf**k fiasco with the 4g update.

As I see it, we can just sit back for now and hope that Google continues to send love in the direction of our Xoom's like they did with the Nexus One (until ICS of course)...then root to the high heavens when they stop.

No no... Motorola shares a huge part of the blame, since they are responsible for pushing out the update. Moreover, Moto shafts the rest of the world. Where the US Xooms get updates first, Canadian Xooms (for example) only got 3.2 last month. Canadian Xooms got 3.1 AFTER 3.2 rolled out in the US and other parts of the world. And there are still regions that haven't been updated.

The combination of Google and Moto, along with an incompetent update process, is responsible. Google has done their part by making the updates available but not standardizing the system.
Moto has done their part by not giving a crap about anybody.

Reactions: DNicolasL

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
No no... Motorola shares a huge part of the blame, since they are responsible for pushing out the update. Moreover, Moto shafts the rest of the world. Where the US Xooms get updates first, Canadian Xooms (for example) only got 3.2 last month. Canadian Xooms got 3.1 AFTER 3.2 rolled out in the US and other parts of the world. And there are still regions that haven't been updated.

The combination of Google and Moto, along with an incompetent update process, is responsible. Google has done their part by making the updates available but not standardizing the system.
Moto has done their part by not giving a crap about anybody.

I think you are forgetting that outside of the U.S. they are not GED, so that is more of an apples to oranges slightly different apples.

To my understanding Google does the bulk of the work...come to think of it, I do remember there being an update at one point early on that Motorola was caught off guard by (or at least claimed to be caught off guard by). Apparently Google was pushing an update on their own.

It was on this forum https://forums.motorola.com/hives/9a5441a7f6/summary
If I find the post where Matt (Moto Rep) said he wasn't aware of the update until after it started rolling I'll post a link.

Reactions: DNicolasL

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I disagree, the Xoom is no more a GED, than the original Droid was. You might be on better footing if you tried to make the above claim regarding something like the G1.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, the Xoom is no more a GED, than the original Droid was. You might be on better footing if you tried to make the above claim regarding something like the G1.
It's a GED. It has no skin. It's pure Android. That's the basic definition of GED.

There is no *official* definition of a GED. Google has different licensing levels for Android. One of them is a skinless, Google-pure experience. What makes a GED is the fact that it's running pure Android.

Where all the rest of these so-called GED definitions come from is a mystery. People swear is *must* be updated by Google themselves or it's not an GED. It can't come with any installed apps from the manufacturer or the carrier or it's not a GED. None of that is true.

For some facockta reason, Google did not embrace the XOOM as a technology demonstrator like they have with the Nexus line of phones. It probably has something to do with the stumbling bumbling drooling morons that run Motorola Mobility. That doesn't strip the XOOM of it's GED status.