Looks like the apps are coming sooner than we think

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Up until this point, I've only downloaded well-known company branded apps on my Android phone and will be doing the same for my Android based tablet. Not really sure why people would be downloading these types of apps anyway. In other words, why would someone try downloading the Twitter app made by Chen Lee Smith, I just don't see the logic in something like this, but, people get excited and do it anyways.

Reactions: njennings

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Up until this point, I've only downloaded well-known company branded apps on my Android phone and will be doing the same for my Android based tablet. Not really sure why people would be downloading these types of apps anyway. In other words, why would someone try downloading the Twitter app made by Chen Lee Smith, I just don't see the logic in something like this, but, people get excited and do it anyways.

Because of ignorance. The Xoom is my first Android device, and I have no idea who the the well-known developers are for Android apps. I haven't been putting much thought into what I download, but now I guess have to start paying attention.

I know that it is probably sacrilege to suggest this on this forum, but would Google approving apps before they are listed on the Android Market be such a bad thing? And I mean only in the sense that apps are reviewed to make sure they do not contain malware, and not for anything specific to their content. If the approval was content-neutral, why would anyone be opposed to this, especially since Android allows applications to be installed from outside the market?

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Because of ignorance. The Xoom is my first Android device, and I have no idea who the the well-known developers are for Android apps. I haven't been putting much thought into what I download, but now I guess have to start paying attention.

I know that it is probably sacrilege to suggest this on this forum, but would Google approving apps before they are listed on the Android Market be such a bad thing? And I mean only in the sense that apps are reviewed to make sure they do not contain malware, and not for anything specific to their content. If the approval was content-neutral, why would anyone be opposed to this, especially since Android allows applications to be installed from outside the market?

I've been using an Android device for a few years now and all in all, I would agree on this point. I think Google just doing a test on the programs to make sure they do not contain malware and to also verify it works. You have no idea how many "Oops, i messed up" updates to fix updates that crash a phone or cause force closes I see on the market. As an example, Timeriffic is one app that has been updated at least 5 times in a matter of a week or so because every update either caused a phone freeze, reboot or a force close. Also not to mention weeding out pirated apps and also apps riddled with Trojans and malware.

I know one of the great things about the Android market is that anyone can post to it...this wouldn't change...basically Google would just act as a QA for the software that's all.

Even some download sites that host programs for PC have a basic malware / virus scanner they use to check the uploaded programs.

Zykhan

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't want google approving what apps are right for me. I will do that myself!

I like the open nature of the market but i have no problem with them pulling malware apps and notifying those that already downloaded it why it is gone. Give me a reasonable explanation of how this protected me and I will be OK. On the same token give the Dev's a venue to defend their app in the event of a misunderstanding.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I like the open nature of the market but i have no problem with them pulling malware apps and notifying those that already downloaded it why it is gone. Give me a reasonable explanation of how this protected me and I will be OK. On the same token give the Dev's a venue to defend their app in the event of a misunderstanding.
Good point and I completly agree!