Apps don't show notifications until opened and can't get started by other applications

corpID

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Dear AndroidCentral Forum!

first: yes i used the search function although i couldn't find a thread which addresses my issue in general, also i tried a few of the fixes regarding the notifications although it didn't solve my problem.

Phone: Doogee S88 Plus

I received this phone a while back and i'm pretty happy about it, although i noticed a very strange behaviour regarding nearly all apps.
Apperantly, every app that isn't a foreground app, will get killed or at least will not send notifications until they are opened which, you sure can think, is damn annoying.
Also, apps won't start with Android Auto, except Google Apps like News, calendar, maps and such. Spotify, Audible and every "external" apps will refuse to start on android auto until i open them manually on the phone, then they will show up on my car as well.

i checked the installed software and noticed a preinstalled energy saving app (which is funny with an 10Ah battery but well :D ) called com.cydroid.softmanager
Thinking this could be an issue i uninstalled/deactivated the app via ADB, although it didn't get better in any form.

And yes, of course i checked the battery optimization which is turned off for the usual apps which send notifications like Signal, Threema, Outlook, Authenticator and such
As i use Signal as my SMS/MMS app, i can say that i will not receive SMS/MMS notifications as well, i will receive them if i use the standard SMS app Messages though.
Also notifications in general are activated.

Maybe it has something to do with Doze? I'm currently at my wit's end.

I already thought about rooting the device, although it doesnt seems like that there is any rom out there for it, it has the option for OEM Bootloader unlock in the dev options though, but to be honest it's been a long while since i rooted android devices except from Samsung.

Hopefully you guys can help me!

Kind regards

**edit**
also i think it has to do with the background apps in general since foreground apps like my VPN (Cyberghost) will keep running without issues

also i noticed if i restart the phone all the apps will start correctly in the background, so it seems, since i'll get the notifications immediately

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It may be baked into the phone's firmware, which would mean there's not much you can do about it -- see this: https://dontkillmyapp.com/. (Doogee isn't listed there, but they're not a major manufacturer, so it doesn't mean they don't do this kind of thing.)

Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://www.hardreset.info/devices/doogee/doogee-s88-plus/safe-mode/. You won't be able to test 3rd party apps, but at least you can see if it happens with preinstalled apps.

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Under your HOME SCREEN look for an app called Basic Services.
Go into it.
Go into BOOST SPEED - choose all the ones you wanty to keep running by hitting the lock icon.
Then go back into the main screen in the app and go to POWER MANAGER make sure you are on NORMAL MODE. Hit the wheel on the top right and make sure INTELLIGENT POWER SAVING IN SLEEP MODE is off.
Back to the main screen on that app.
APP MANAGER - Hit APP AUTO START - once again choose all the apps you need.

MartinWelch

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I have recently got a Doogee S88 Plus and I'm having the same problem re not receiving notifications to apps like WhatsApp, Messenger etc. Your reply looks like it might be the solution but I do not understand what you mean by "Then go back to the main screen in the app and go to..... ". I hope you can help me as it is driving me nuts!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I have recently got a Doogee S88 Plus and I'm having the same problem re not receiving notifications to apps like WhatsApp, Messenger etc. Your reply looks like it might be the solution but I do not understand what you mean by "Then go back to the main screen in the app and go to..... ". I hope you can help me as it is driving me nuts!
Welcome to AC
If you long press each app icon then tap info >tap on notifications are they on ? Also tap battery in same section is it optimize, restricted?

MartinWelch

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I found WhatsApp and Messenger were not battery optimised. I've changed them to optimized and still not getting notifications (sad face).
Not sure what you mean by "long press". Opening WhatsApp, taping the 3 dots tapping settings - everything looks OK. (another sad face).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I found WhatsApp and Messenger were not battery optimised. I've changed them to optimized and still not getting notifications (sad face).
Not sure what you mean by "long press". Opening WhatsApp, taping the 3 dots tapping settings - everything looks OK. (another sad face).
Hi, do you use power save for the device?

MartinWelch

May 17, 2022
Visit site
OK, I've found Power Save. Set a schedule = no schedule. Turn off when fully charged (Battery Saver turns off when your phone is at 90%) is ON. There is a button which says TURN ON NOW. It continues to say 'Battery Saver turns off or restricts background activities etc etc.
Should I hit the TURN ON NOW?
PS: Your efforts are hugely appreciated.

MartinWelch

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Yes 'Show notification' for WhatsApp is on. So is sound, vibrate, blink light - all on but still not receiving notifications. I've just turned on 'Pop on screen' (When device is unlocked, show notification as a banner across the top of the screen).

MartinWelch

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Yeah, but its lots the Apps not just WhatsApp. I'm not getting notifications for anything (e.g Messenger) but lots of apps are ticked to receive notifications.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, but its lots the Apps not just WhatsApp. I'm not getting notifications for anything (e.g Messenger) but lots of apps are ticked to receive notifications.
Gotcha, you have to go into settings and check around maybe under notifications im not sure on your device where everything is .

Can go to settings>apps>3 dots tap on then reset app preferences

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d