why is screen so dark?

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got a replacement for my xoom. So I got a brand new one. Now something is bothering me in my new unit, am I getting paranoid again? Why is this screen is so dark? This forum look more black rather than blue. If im on the main home screen its so dark in the corners I can see f...k all. Its like automatic brighness is constantly on 10%, yes I can switch it off but then it never happened on the previous unit. Increase of brightess from 70-100% is almost not noticable.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got a replacement for my xoom. So I got a brand new one. Now something is bothering me in my new unit, am I getting paranoid again? Why is this screen is so dark? This forum look more black rather than blue. If im on the main home screen its so dark in the corners I can see f...k all. Its like automatic brighness is constantly on 10%, yes I can switch it off but then it never happened on the previous unit. Increase of brightess from 70-100% is almost not noticable.

Well, despite what the zealots (xealots?) will tell you, the xoom screen is very dull in general. Possibly the worst I've seen on a high end consumer electronics device in recent years.

But having said that, it's hard to tell from your post if that's the issue or if there's something else going on. Could be a broken light sensor or something.

The best way to determine it would be to set your xoom to a specified brightness (say 50%) and upload a picture or link to a page where the effect is readily visible. That way somebody else can verify it on their end. Colours are a little bit subjective though...

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I will try to upload some but I don't see this detail in anything anymore. That crisp is gone everything is blurry. The panel with widgets when u want to add smth everything is blurry there.

deejayd

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I will try to upload some but I don't see this detail in anything anymore. That crisp is gone everything is blurry. The panel with widgets when u want to add smth everything is blurry there.

OK that sounds broken. See if they'll let you compare it to a demo unit in the store, just to make sure.