Duplicate lock icon besides the default on the lock screen (Samsung phone, Android 12)

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
This happened about a few days ago, I was watching some videos and had to get up to get something, so locked the screen before going as is my habit, when I came back I had a notification which is why my screen was turned on the lock screen, but my attention went to a duplicate padlock icon on the left of the og lock icon which had a sort of protruding thingy next to it, like a landscape or something, something that would resemble a gallery icon in android, I clicked on it, nothing happened, clicked on it again and it disappeared. I turned on my phone to the home screen and saw that whatsapp was on besides the other apps, my whatsapp is locked with my fingerprint which also can be seen from the apps in memory, so I thought it must be a new UI thing from the whatsapp team, so I tried to emulate it but it did not happen again. Funnily, I never saw that lock icon again after that first incident. Nothing seems out of whack with my phone so I do not think it was malicious, but I am kind of concerned what could that anomaly of a duplicate lock icon be? , a bug perhaps?. I tried searching on google and samsung forums but found next to nothing. I am sorry I have given next to nothing, but this is about the only information I have. Hope somebody can shed a light on this mystery, as I am not going to lie its kind of bugging me since it happened.

Edit : Attaching the screenshot.

Attachments

• Padlock icon - Copy.jpeg
    Padlock icon - Copy.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which Samsung ?

Just by you explaining Whatsapp unlocked with fingerprint tells me you installed something 3rd party that's causing this

Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It'll be hard to help without seeing a screenshot, so if you do see it again, make sure to show us a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
Hello @B. Diddy , it has happened again and this time I got a screenshot as soon as I saw that duplicate padlock icon which I have attached in this reply. It is bizarre as I thought I would not see it again, but there it was just staring at me as I picked up my phone. I had kept my phone charging and I disconnected it before sleeping and there again was the padlock icon. The charging cable was inserted in the phone and the internet was not on, I dunno what this icon means, any clues?

Attachments

• Padlock icon - Copy.jpeg
    Padlock icon - Copy.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 9
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Which Samsung ?

Just by you explaining Whatsapp unlocked with fingerprint tells me you installed something 3rd party that's causing this
Hello @mustang7757 I have a Samsung M21. I do not quite get what you mean in the second part of your statement, I am a little confused so please clarify. I tend to not install apps if they are not useful, and if I have to, I make sure the developer is renowned, like google. I have attached a screenshot in the primary post above as the padlock made it's appearance again, your input would be highly valuable.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello @mustang7757 I have a Samsung M21. I do not quite get what you mean in the second part of your statement, I am a little confused so please clarify. I tend to not install apps if they are not useful, and if I have to, I make sure the developer is renowned, like google. I have attached a screenshot in the primary post above as the padlock made it's appearance again, your input would be highly valuable.
Hello
When u mention whatapp u use fingerprint to unlock?

Do u have 3rd party lock screen downloaded?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello @B. Diddy , it has happened again and this time I got a screenshot as soon as I saw that duplicate padlock icon which I have attached in this reply. It is bizarre as I thought I would not see it again, but there it was just staring at me as I picked up my phone. I had kept my phone charging and I disconnected it before sleeping and there again was the padlock icon. The charging cable was inserted in the phone and the internet was not on, I dunno what this icon means, any clues?
I'm trying to find that icon anywhere on the web. The appearance makes it look like an indicator that the wallpaper is locked -- i.e., it can't be changed by the user, or maybe it's the Dynamic Lock feature telling you that the auto-update is turned off? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00084210/

Are you able to change the wallpaper yourself?

Reactions: samsungsamsunguser
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
I'm trying to find that icon anywhere on the web. The appearance makes it look like an indicator that the wallpaper is locked -- i.e., it can't be changed by the user, or maybe it's the Dynamic Lock feature telling you that the auto-update is turned off? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00084210/

Are you able to change the wallpaper yourself?
I like your surmises, both of them, they are logical to the situation presented. I decided to check the wallpaper section of my phone and 'glance on samsung' is turned on and dynamic lock screen's off, which I guess is the default option (first screenshot). I then decided to check the glance on samsung's settings, as you can see from the second screenshot, updates through mobile data were on which I turned off promptly, the 'auto update app' also was on by default. I then changed the wallpaper from my gallery for the lock screen, and I checked the settings again in the glance on samsung, and this time the 'keep your image on lock screen' was on, which I surmise was due to choosing my own wallpaper, I do not remember doing it before (setting my own wallpaper), so that is why it was off before. Also attaching the screenshot of the dynamic lock screen settings as you mentioned it.

Should I post this in samsung's forum too?

Thank you for working hard to find a solution, much appreciated.

Attachments

• Wallpaper services - Copy.jpeg
    Wallpaper services - Copy.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Glance on samsung settings - Copy.jpeg
    Glance on samsung settings - Copy.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 4
  • Dynamic lock screen settings - Copy.jpeg
    Dynamic lock screen settings - Copy.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 4
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
Is this your phone or somebody else's? Could you show us a screenshot of the entire screen?
It is mine. I do not really see how showing the entire screen would benefit in acquiring a solution to this problem as it just personal information and notifications, like you would find on any average phone. I like to share as minimally as possible of my personal stuff (especially on the internet) and I do not see how uploading the entire screenshot instead of just the cropped one which provides the necessary information, as I have done would help in this case. But, if you have a valid cause, I will upload it in an instant, but my query needs to be satisfied first. Sorry, it is just the way I am.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I do, it is a feature that whatsapp started rolling early last year : https://thenextweb.com/news/how-to-lock-whatsapp-with-your-fingerprint-or-face-on-android-and-ios

No, I rely on the stock. I used to use third party launchers such as nova, but not anymore. I do not have anything third party in my phone, android has come a long way.
I don't have that option on my s23u android 13 for Whatsapp.

Check in settings>display>accidental touch is toggle on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I like your surmises, both of them, they are logical to the situation presented. I decided to check the wallpaper section of my phone and 'glance on samsung' is turned on and dynamic lock screen's off, which I guess is the default option (first screenshot). I then decided to check the glance on samsung's settings, as you can see from the second screenshot, updates through mobile data were on which I turned off promptly, the 'auto update app' also was on by default. I then changed the wallpaper from my gallery for the lock screen, and I checked the settings again in the glance on samsung, and this time the 'keep your image on lock screen' was on, which I surmise was due to choosing my own wallpaper, I do not remember doing it before (setting my own wallpaper), so that is why it was off before. Also attaching the screenshot of the dynamic lock screen settings as you mentioned it.

Should I post this in samsung's forum too?

Thank you for working hard to find a solution, much appreciated.
It's definitely worth posting to a Samsung forum -- use the Samsung Members app, which gives you access to their community.

Reactions: samsungsamsunguser
Apr 9, 2023
Visit site
I don't have that option on my s23u android 13 for Whatsapp.

Check in settings>display>accidental touch is toggle on?
Strange, maybe contact the whatsapp team regarding that.

Accidental touch is not in my display settings nor it had any hits when I searched for it in settings. Maybe it is a android 13 feature?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Strange, maybe contact the whatsapp team regarding that.

Accidental touch is not in my display settings nor it had any hits when I searched for it in settings. Maybe it is a android 13 feature?
I'm not worried about Whatsapp been like that for years , probably because you have midrange it's not included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174