Lte 4g eta

stageman

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, you can only pre-order it next week. But I'm with everyone here. VZW and Moto need to at least give us some time lines or other update to let us know that they haven't forgotten about us. I for one am also going to call and raise a stink that they are announcing a new 4G tablet before taking care of their existing customers.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
With the Galaxy Tab coming out so soon, this may be a death knell to Xoom sales. I have been thinking of buying a Xoom and this is giving me pause. Why should I buy a tablet that so far has this unfulfilled promise when another tablet, with LTE already enabled is imminent? Granted, the Xoom has some features that are not on the Tab, but the lack of LTE for so long worries me.

On the other hand, VZW has not released the availability date for the Tab, so that could take a couple of months on its own. Further, considering Samsung's track record on updates (almost a year for the Fascinate to get Froyo), that gives me worry on the other side.

What to do? What to do?

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Pick one and run with it. If you want it now go with the Xoom. If you are willing to wait for an unknown amount of time then go with the Tab. We will get 4g on our Xooms or they will replace then all with a new tablet that is 4g enabled. Motorola's cell department was DOA when they released the first Droid. They won't let things go to class action lawsuit level which is where it will go if they come back to the Xoom owners and say we can't get you 4g or a working SD card. So it is coming one way or another.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with you, except for one thing. The class action issue. On April 27th, the Supreme Court issued a decision in an AT&T case that essentially said that if the customer agreement specifies arbitration, then consumers can no longer band together in class action suits on consumer products. They have to go through individual arbitration. I don't remember the case title, but it was all over a newsletter I get about consumer lawsuits. A lot of trial lawyers are up in arms about it.

That takes away a huge incentive for companies to do the right thing!

Here is a link to the story:

Attorney Discusses Limits on Class Actions

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I hate to be blunt, but that is not standard business-speak. You're just wrong on this. It's ok to admit it...

You sir are incorrect.

Q1: Feb/Mar/Apr
Q2 May/June/July
Q3 Aug/Sept/Oct
Q4 Nov/Dec/Jan

is standard business speak. Yes technically businesses can use whenever they want for their fiscal year but this is what Verizon has always used.

Everyone wants it to be sooner yes, I do too but when the Xoom was announced and released the original version of the Bionic was supposed to be released in April, clearly they have had some setbacks and said end of Q2 (which usually means the beginning of Q3, but I digress) so they have time to get it right.

Do you really want a buggy upgrade or one that works correctly?

grlla

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I laugh at some of you poseurs. A lot of you complaining probably don't even have a XOOM, but use non-communication as a lever to complain even if you do own a XOOM.

Douchebagginess.

You actually think complaining on a blog will get someone's attention? ESPECIALLY with big red, no technology will be released before it's time.

You wanted to be an early adopter with the proposed advantages (4G, SD...) and there STILL isn't viable competition for these advantages in the marketplace. DUH.

So chill the eff out already. You're enjoying your XOOM, the market is rising to meet you, gingerbread just hit the droid x - get a freeking hobby otherwise.

This too shall pass.

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I can understand why this may not bother you. However there are some of us that bought this product with the expectation of being provided with a product that was represented to have features that it still does not have.

Furthermore, vzw is already touting their new tablet with lte out of the box that will be available in one week. Lets be honest, the logistics involved in sending this device back and getting it back in 6 days as their simple return instructions indicate. My opinion, by the time they do offer to enable 4 g, people will have moved on.

I love my xoom, but will be leaving moto to never return.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little disappointed also. I went ahead and got the Novatel Mifi to use with all my devices (laptop, Xoom and, Ipad 2). LTE is in my city and expanding, it's really nice and, faster than my home internet.

LTE and the SD storage were a big part of my decision in getting the Xoom again. If they don't ever enable these features, it won't be that big of a deal to me; because I have the Mifi and a 64GB Ipad 2. However, I'll never buy another product that doesn't have all the features I want enabled at launch again. IMO it's not worth it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so no one seems to be talking anymore about one of the major features advertised for the Xoom. Where is LTE 4g we were promised? This device has been on the market for some time now. There are three 4g phones and a mifi utilizing 4g. What's the hold up you think?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Now we get word that it is being delayed again. I really don't think we will see the 4G LTE upgrade on the Xoom. I think there will be a Xoom 2 released with it though. I think Motorola has pulled a bait and switch on us.

mrksbrd

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not one to throw a sh!t fit over anything, but if VZW does not upgrade my Xoom to 4G LTE I'm going to be pissed. I got mine on day 1 with a 3 GIG contract with knowing it would get LTE some day soon. There will be hell to pay if they can't/won't upgrade my Xoom 4G LTE.

Exactly why I got rid of mine, promised more in adverts then what was given...imo, should have been released with 2.2 from the beginning, and told upgrade avail to honeycomb when all the bugs were worked out. They just wanted the release out b4 iPad 2....Moto wasn't concerned about anything else

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with you, except for one thing. The class action issue. On April 27th, the Supreme Court issued a decision in an AT&T case that essentially said that if the customer agreement specifies arbitration, then consumers can no longer band together in class action suits on consumer products. They have to go through individual arbitration. I don't remember the case title, but it was all over a newsletter I get about consumer lawsuits. A lot of trial lawyers are up in arms about it.

That takes away a huge incentive for companies to do the right thing!

Here is a link to the story:

Attorney Discusses Limits on Class Actions

Except our beef will be with Motorola and not Verizon so the service portion of this ruling doesn't apply, I don't think. As far as the idea it could be expanded, well there was no arbitration clause in my packaging that came with my Xoom so that shouldn't be an issue either. Hopefully it will never comes to that so we will just have to wait and see what comes next.

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Except our beef will be with Motorola and not Verizon so the service portion of this ruling doesn't apply, I don't think. As far as the idea it could be expanded, well there was no arbitration clause in my packaging that came with my Xoom so that shouldn't be an issue either. Hopefully it will never comes to that so we will just have to wait and see what comes next.

Was there an electronic EULA you had to agree to? Could be in there. If it isn't, then probably would be possible. Not that I encourage such things as I am generally against class actions. That is a good reason why so many costs are so high and we get all these silly warning stickers not to use a product in a way that no sane person would.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know that some are pointing fingers at Verizon because of problems with the 4g technology. But, I can't get past the fact that there are other manufacturers that have released 4g products. The galaxy tab is now expected to be 4g sooner than the Xoom.

Given the fact that Motorola so far has been unable to release a single product with 4g, at least to me, that tells me the company is having problems with the technology more so than Verizon.

Motorola at least to me, has had it's ups and downs with cellular products. They created the Star tac phone which was rather successful at the time and was around for a number of years. Later they released the Razor which was only available with one of the carriers when it was first released. Then it seemed like Motorola disappeared for a number of years, not really having anything very exciting, or interesting that people took notice of. But, with the release of the first it's first Droid, I think Motorola re-established its reputation for developing quality products that were also innovative. Then they appeared at CES this year showing off some really cool stuff. A lot of what is shown at CES doesn't make it to market for various reasons.

Well, the Bionic that was shown at CES is no longer going to be made. The Xoom which they rushed to market in my opinion was not released with 4g LTE when it was being marketed as being the first dual core tablet and the first to use Honeycomb, and a commitment that item would be upgraded. I was told within 4 to 6 weeks by the Verizon rep that helped me when I made the purchase. That turned out not to be the case. I also contacted Motorola via their website. At that time, I was told it would be upgraded sometime during the 2nd quarter. Well it's June now and still nothing regarding the upgrade. Now there is news that Motorola's CEO is calling for yet another delay? Motorola needs to get it's act together in my not so humble position.

I hope that I am wrong, about Motorola not following through on upgrading the Xoom and simply waiting for a release of a Xoom2, or whatever they choose to call the next generation of Motorola tablets. But, given all the conflicting reports and now what appears to be constant delays just in general with Motorola and 4g LTE, I can't say that I have much confidence in following through on the upgrade of the Xoom.

NinjaMasterGuy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
For all of you curious out there, it would seem that the LTE upgrade is hardware as opposed to just software:
Motorola Xoom Teardown - iFixit

Now I am by no means an expert but... I would assume that the LTE upgrade also requires a critical software patch.

So... I would guess that they are having problems with BOTH the software & hardware.

And not to defend them but I would assume that announcing that they are having problems would hurt their stock something fierce.

But the least they could do as a courtesy to their customers is release some sort of timeline. Not that it would hurt me or my Xoom much if they didn't release the upgrade, I would still be very upset if I didn't get it.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
For all of you curious out there, it would seem that the LTE upgrade is hardware as opposed to just software:
Motorola Xoom Teardown - iFixit

Now I am by no means an expert but... I would assume that the LTE upgrade also requires a critical software patch.

So... I would guess that they are having problems with BOTH the software & hardware.

And not to defend them but I would assume that announcing that they are having problems would hurt their stock something fierce.

But the least they could do as a courtesy to their customers is release some sort of timeline. Not that it would hurt me or my Xoom much if they didn't release the upgrade, I would still be very upset if I didn't get it.
Are you serious? They aren't going to release any type of specific timeline. I was told by the Motorola Corporation that the upgrade would take sometime in the 2nd Quarter. It looks like that is now out the window.

Look at the debacle with the Bionic. Motorola screwed up. They acted as if they would be able to do things that they simply do not have the ability, or desire to do.

Battery life is always going to be an issue with smartphones and tablets for one simple reason. Nobody has developed better power supplies. They have not modernized battery technology.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Look at the debacle with the Bionic. Motorola screwed up. They acted as if they would be able to do things that they simply do not have the ability, or desire to do..

Ability I agree with. Much like the Bionic (Etana) they gambled they would be able to solve the issues they were having in a timely manner and were wrong. They gave up on Bionic (Etana) and are now trying to figure out how to fix it for the Xoom,

I disagree that they don't have a desire. If at all possible they will do it, its just a matter of how long it is gonna take them and how well it will work when it is all said and done. They gave up on Bionic (Etana) because they already had another solid device in the pipe (Tegra) which had different architecture and thus would not have the same problems. They knew in the long run it would be cheaper and easier to just launch the new hardware at an accelerated pace under the Bionic name rather than continue to flood R&D dollars into Etana hoping against hope to find a way to make it work.

Liberati0n

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem will go away. I doubt they would announce a Galaxy Tab 10.1 is coming with LTE, if it wasn't just the fact Motorola was having problems with its LTE modem, not LTE modems don't work with the Tegra 2.

Not to mention we have yet to see Motorola even come out with a LTE product thus far anyways.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The bionic is in the Wild so how far off is it before the xoom gets LTE? I would think soon if the bionic is released in June.

Keep in mind that there is a fair amount of speculation that the re-vamped Bionic now sports a different processor and is not tegra 2 based? Not exactly an option for current Xoom owners.

-Suntan

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting if that's the case then I think we are in for a long wait for the xoom. It would also be embarrassing for motorola if the galaxy tab is the first lte tegra 2 tablet on Verizon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87