Lte 4g eta

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so no one seems to be talking anymore about one of the major features advertised for the Xoom. Where is LTE 4g we were promised? This device has been on the market for some time now. There are three 4g phones and a mifi utilizing 4g. What's the hold up you think?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to get a bit impatient as well. The only thing keeping quiet is the fact I don't live in a 4G area yet. However, that is supposed to change this summer.

I often travel to 4G areas and it would be nice to have some 4G love for my Xoom.

Motorola/Verizon -- Where is my 4g?

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm a little since I heard the Bionic was switching to a omap processor. If the Bionic couldn't run a Tegra 2 on LTE what makes Verizon think the Xoom will. Of course the newest Verizon add still calls the Xoom 4G LTE up-gradable so it could still be coming.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I second the never vote. With information leaking about a 2nd generation Xoom I am afraid soon we will be all but forgotten.

DH in DC

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
From the initial release the official word was 4G should be expected sometime in the second quarter. So at this point they are not later than promised.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Between the Gen 2 Xoom now starting to show up on the DEW radar and the persistent rumors about the Tegra 2 being somehow incompatible with the LTE chipset, I would not be optimistic about this. That would be a very unfortunate result, since the Xoom was explicitly sold with the promise of an LTE upgrade. Moto, VZW, Google and the whole Android tab concept will have egg on their faces, or worse.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Between the Gen 2 Xoom now starting to show up on the DEW radar and the persistent rumors about the Tegra 2 being somehow incompatible with the LTE chipset, I would not be optimistic about this. That would be a very unfortunate result, since the Xoom was explicitly sold with the promise of an LTE upgrade. Moto, VZW, Google and the whole Android tab concept will have egg on their faces, or worse.

Right now the Xoom 2 is more of a rumor than anything as no real info info has leaked about it aside from a fuzzy picture on a now gone version of Motorola's site. No solid info about it at all and my personal theory is that it will simply be a smaller device or one with a different memory capacity, so not necessarily a replacement device. More and more carriers are starting to carry the WiFi version of the Xoom all the time so it seems unlikely that it is anywhere near EOL. As for the 4G upgrade the second quarter is just starting so it is not late yet. If August comes around and we don't have any info yet then I will be worked.

If, worst case scenario happened and it was deemed incompatible then VZW and Moto will still have to take care of us somehow and I would be more than content if they handed out those new Novatel 4G LTE MiFi devices to Xoom owners as a substitute.

Reactions: DrWu

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm not one to throw a sh!t fit over anything, but if VZW does not upgrade my Xoom to 4G LTE I'm going to be pissed. I got mine on day 1 with a 3 GIG contract with knowing it would get LTE some day soon. There will be hell to pay if they can't/won't upgrade my Xoom 4G LTE.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not one to throw a sh!t fit over anything, but if VZW does not upgrade my Xoom to 4G LTE I'm going to be pissed. I got mine on day 1 with a 3 GIG contract with knowing it would get LTE some day soon. There will be hell to pay if they can't/won't upgrade my Xoom 4G LTE.

They will if it is at all physically possible, I'm sure.

talktomike

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Motorola hinted in a investors meeting a bit back that it was probably going to be end of summer before they made the 4g upgrade available for xoom. I want it sooner but time will tell.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a little strange, I've never had a device I had to send in to get upgraded.

I would just hope that:

a) They had a few working LTE prototypes before selling the first Xoom that was tested and passed QA.
b) They had a solid upgrade path for their techs to follow when they received a sent back Xoom
c) They kicked whatever they had to kick in to high gear even before they released the Xoom
d) They gave you something for making you wait

I will easily give a pass if this has anything to do with the tragedy in Japan, I can understand that, but if all these parts are made some place else for the LTE upgrade and they are sitting quietly then I'd be a little pissed. We're 90 days + post launch and the only word we got was that the upgrade would be pushed back. (I don't even remember if that was "official" or not).

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
They have to upgrade the Xoom to 4G, don't they? I mean, if they didn't, they'd have a pretty big class action suit on their hands, I would think. I just wish they would communicate a time line a little more so we don't feel like they've forgotten about us Xoom owners.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
They have to upgrade the Xoom to 4G, don't they? I mean, if they didn't, they'd have a pretty big class action suit on their hands, I would think. I just wish they would communicate a time line a little more so we don't feel like they've forgotten about us Xoom owners.

Absolutely. In fact, when I purchased mine I was told "in the coming weeks." Of course future reading led me to realize it would be Q2.

I'm less concerned about the 4G and more so with the SD card. And even then I wouldn't care about because of the kernels out there that have allowed it. I wouldn't care BUT Google has now decided that if you root your device you don't get to use some of their services (movies).

So answer me this Google. How do a few individuals write kernels that enable the SD card and yet after months you still can't get even a timeline to us?

It's completely wrong to treat loyal customers this way. And at the end of the day, if they don't get it together before other tablets start coming out they may be looking at a class action suit

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So answer me this Google. How do a few individuals write kernels that enable the SD card and yet after months you still can't get even a timeline to us?

Just because the SD card works does not mean it is implemented. Sure you can use it with these kernels, but it's not hot swappable, nor are all of the features of a typical SD slot there. It's not as easy as just turning it on.

goinovr

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
4G LTE on Xoom

Spoke to a Verizon rep earlier this week and she mentioned we should start receiving upgrade notices from Motorola in the next couple weeks.

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just because the SD card works does not mean it is implemented. Sure you can use it with these kernels, but it's not hot swappable, nor are all of the features of a typical SD slot there. It's not as easy as just turning it on.

Not true at least on the Asus Transformer I tried it with. Both hot swappable and there is a nice little notification/browse icon for it when one is inserted.

BTW: yes this is my first post. Landed here because of the very issues being discussed.

I bought mine at launch as well and i feel totally misled and lied to. The LTE and SD card support were coming in "just a few short weeks"... that was months ago.

The OS with the 3.1 update is just now about where the OS should have been for a release product, not the crash prone fiasco 3.0 was.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. I know the various fanboys will say that it's verizon's fault or motorola's fault. I blame all 3, google, moto and verizon.

If i don't get LTE and SD support by the end of this month, it's going back.

BTW: Someone else mentioned that Q2 was just getting started. By what calendar? By mine end of June is the END of Q2.

Sorry for the rant, not directed at anyone here.:-\