Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    shaneneff's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

    Default Lte 4g eta

    Ok, so no one seems to be talking anymore about one of the major features advertised for the Xoom. Where is LTE 4g we were promised? This device has been on the market for some time now. There are three 4g phones and a mifi utilizing 4g. What's the hold up you think?

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm starting to get a bit impatient as well. The only thing keeping quiet is the fact I don't live in a 4G area yet. However, that is supposed to change this summer.

    I often travel to 4G areas and it would be nice to have some 4G love for my Xoom.

    Motorola/Verizon -- Where is my 4g?
  3. #3  

    Default

    im assuming never
  4. #4  

    Default

    I'm a little since I heard the Bionic was switching to a omap processor. If the Bionic couldn't run a Tegra 2 on LTE what makes Verizon think the Xoom will. Of course the newest Verizon add still calls the Xoom 4G LTE up-gradable so it could still be coming.
  5. #5  
    Vudumedic's Avatar

    Posts
    473 Posts
    ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

    Default

    I second the never vote. With information leaking about a 2nd generation Xoom I am afraid soon we will be all but forgotten.
  6. #6  
    DH in DC's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

    Default

    From the initial release the official word was 4G should be expected sometime in the second quarter. So at this point they are not later than promised.
  7. #7  
    jnewell's Avatar

    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default

    Between the Gen 2 Xoom now starting to show up on the DEW radar and the persistent rumors about the Tegra 2 being somehow incompatible with the LTE chipset, I would not be optimistic about this. That would be a very unfortunate result, since the Xoom was explicitly sold with the promise of an LTE upgrade. Moto, VZW, Google and the whole Android tab concept will have egg on their faces, or worse.
  8. #8  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    Between the Gen 2 Xoom now starting to show up on the DEW radar and the persistent rumors about the Tegra 2 being somehow incompatible with the LTE chipset, I would not be optimistic about this. That would be a very unfortunate result, since the Xoom was explicitly sold with the promise of an LTE upgrade. Moto, VZW, Google and the whole Android tab concept will have egg on their faces, or worse.
    Right now the Xoom 2 is more of a rumor than anything as no real info info has leaked about it aside from a fuzzy picture on a now gone version of Motorola's site. No solid info about it at all and my personal theory is that it will simply be a smaller device or one with a different memory capacity, so not necessarily a replacement device. More and more carriers are starting to carry the WiFi version of the Xoom all the time so it seems unlikely that it is anywhere near EOL. As for the 4G upgrade the second quarter is just starting so it is not late yet. If August comes around and we don't have any info yet then I will be worked.

    If, worst case scenario happened and it was deemed incompatible then VZW and Moto will still have to take care of us somehow and I would be more than content if they handed out those new Novatel 4G LTE MiFi devices to Xoom owners as a substitute.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Thanked by:
    DrWu 
  9. #9  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

    Default

    I'm not one to throw a sh!t fit over anything, but if VZW does not upgrade my Xoom to 4G LTE I'm going to be pissed. I got mine on day 1 with a 3 GIG contract with knowing it would get LTE some day soon. There will be hell to pay if they can't/won't upgrade my Xoom 4G LTE.
  10. #10  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I'm not one to throw a sh!t fit over anything, but if VZW does not upgrade my Xoom to 4G LTE I'm going to be pissed. I got mine on day 1 with a 3 GIG contract with knowing it would get LTE some day soon. There will be hell to pay if they can't/won't upgrade my Xoom 4G LTE.
    They will if it is at all physically possible, I'm sure.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  11. #11  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,888 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaneneff View Post
    Ok, so no one seems to be talking anymore about one of the major features advertised for the Xoom. Where is LTE 4g we were promised?
    It is probably hanging around the same area as a working SD slot...
  12. #12  

    Default

    Motorola hinted in a investors meeting a bit back that it was probably going to be end of summer before they made the 4g upgrade available for xoom. I want it sooner but time will tell.
  13. #13  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    It's a little strange, I've never had a device I had to send in to get upgraded.

    I would just hope that:

    a) They had a few working LTE prototypes before selling the first Xoom that was tested and passed QA.
    b) They had a solid upgrade path for their techs to follow when they received a sent back Xoom
    c) They kicked whatever they had to kick in to high gear even before they released the Xoom
    d) They gave you something for making you wait

    I will easily give a pass if this has anything to do with the tragedy in Japan, I can understand that, but if all these parts are made some place else for the LTE upgrade and they are sitting quietly then I'd be a little pissed. We're 90 days + post launch and the only word we got was that the upgrade would be pushed back. (I don't even remember if that was "official" or not).
  14. #14  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    well just last week the novatel card just approved from vzw so hopefully it will be soon

    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  15. #15  

    Default

    They have to upgrade the Xoom to 4G, don't they? I mean, if they didn't, they'd have a pretty big class action suit on their hands, I would think. I just wish they would communicate a time line a little more so we don't feel like they've forgotten about us Xoom owners.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danyzfr6 View Post
    They have to upgrade the Xoom to 4G, don't they? I mean, if they didn't, they'd have a pretty big class action suit on their hands, I would think. I just wish they would communicate a time line a little more so we don't feel like they've forgotten about us Xoom owners.

    Absolutely. In fact, when I purchased mine I was told "in the coming weeks." Of course future reading led me to realize it would be Q2.

    I'm less concerned about the 4G and more so with the SD card. And even then I wouldn't care about because of the kernels out there that have allowed it. I wouldn't care BUT Google has now decided that if you root your device you don't get to use some of their services (movies).

    So answer me this Google. How do a few individuals write kernels that enable the SD card and yet after months you still can't get even a timeline to us?

    It's completely wrong to treat loyal customers this way. And at the end of the day, if they don't get it together before other tablets start coming out they may be looking at a class action suit
  17. #17  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,812 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    I'd say this is way less about Google and way more about Motorola and Verizon.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stabbedintheface View Post
    So answer me this Google. How do a few individuals write kernels that enable the SD card and yet after months you still can't get even a timeline to us?
    Just because the SD card works does not mean it is implemented. Sure you can use it with these kernels, but it's not hot swappable, nor are all of the features of a typical SD slot there. It's not as easy as just turning it on.
  19. #19  

    Default 4G LTE on Xoom

    Spoke to a Verizon rep earlier this week and she mentioned we should start receiving upgrade notices from Motorola in the next couple weeks.
  20. #20  
    snovguy's Avatar

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siscim23 View Post
    Just because the SD card works does not mean it is implemented. Sure you can use it with these kernels, but it's not hot swappable, nor are all of the features of a typical SD slot there. It's not as easy as just turning it on.
    Not true at least on the Asus Transformer I tried it with. Both hot swappable and there is a nice little notification/browse icon for it when one is inserted.

    BTW: yes this is my first post. Landed here because of the very issues being discussed.

    I bought mine at launch as well and i feel totally misled and lied to. The LTE and SD card support were coming in "just a few short weeks"... that was months ago.

    The OS with the 3.1 update is just now about where the OS should have been for a release product, not the crash prone fiasco 3.0 was.

    If I sound bitter, it's because I am. I know the various fanboys will say that it's verizon's fault or motorola's fault. I blame all 3, google, moto and verizon.

    If i don't get LTE and SD support by the end of this month, it's going back.

    BTW: Someone else mentioned that Q2 was just getting started. By what calendar? By mine end of June is the END of Q2.

    Sorry for the rant, not directed at anyone here.
    Thanked by 2:
  21. #21  
    Ainvar's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    573 Global Posts

    Default

    I am also one sad panda over all of this. I bought the XOOM thinking the sd card and lte upgrade was just around the corner like they worded it. I also thought since this is vanilla android they would be rolling out awesome updates and bug fixes. We have 3.1 with a still buggy browser and no sd or lte love.

    I dont think MOTO will get anymore of my money, I dont care how much I love the XOOM for how it well it is made and how it works or how sturdy my DX and solid the wifes D2 is. Between the locked bootloaders on the phones, no sd or lte love on the XOOM what is the point of being a loyal customer?

    I may be quiet on the forums I read and visit, but I am not quiet when it comes to recommending devices to my customers, friends, and family. Nor am I quiet when I talk to VZW and let them know about how unhappy I am about updates and such. I will take my money elsewhere. Seems this is the only way companies will listen.....
  22. #22  

    Default

    I just like all of you jumped on the bandwagon and bought the zoom first day out. I do know some vzw product placement people who have sent there zooms to moto. As this is the first device that you have to send in to get upgraded who knows when we will get it but, if its anything like the priceing on the phones ie.. droidx dropping price a month before the dx2 comes out.... verizon is know for there product qa.. give them time as for me I wouldn't want my Xoom to be useless like the thunderbolt cause of the rebooting issues just food for thought
  23. #23  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snovguy View Post
    Not true at least on the Asus Transformer I tried it with. Both hot swappable and there is a nice little notification/browse icon for it when one is inserted.

    BTW: yes this is my first post. Landed here because of the very issues being discussed.

    I bought mine at launch as well and i feel totally misled and lied to. The LTE and SD card support were coming in "just a few short weeks"... that was months ago.

    The OS with the 3.1 update is just now about where the OS should have been for a release product, not the crash prone fiasco 3.0 was.

    If I sound bitter, it's because I am. I know the various fanboys will say that it's verizon's fault or motorola's fault. I blame all 3, google, moto and verizon.

    If i don't get LTE and SD support by the end of this month, it's going back.

    BTW: Someone else mentioned that Q2 was just getting started. By what calendar? By mine end of June is the END of Q2.

    Sorry for the rant, not directed at anyone here.
    Crashprone fiasco? LOL I get more crashes/lock ups on core apps with 3.1 than I ever had on 3.0. You cant compare third party apps because for the most part they were not/are not optimized.

    Q1: Feb/Mar/Apr
    Q2 May/June/July
    Q3 Aug/Sept/Oct
    Q4 Nov/Dec/Jan

    Almost every business put there does a fiscal year Feb - Jan not Jan -Dec. As I said earlier in the thread if I don't hear something bu the end if July I will start to worry. Until then as far as I am concerned they are taking the time to get it right.

    The Transforemer's SD card works because Asus (and apparently Samsung) wrote their own code OUTSIDE Honeycomb as a work around to make it work. It still isn't implemented *natively* by Honeycomb which is what Motorola is waiting for since this is a completely STOCK device. That is squarely on Google's shoulders to do.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  24. #24  

    Default

    I'm willing to bet they're probably waiting on the second gen LTE radios for efficiency. With as fast as LTE can kill a Thunderbolt from Full - Zero.. imagine the Xoom, that now has pretty great battery life.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siscim23 View Post
    Just because the SD card works does not mean it is implemented. Sure you can use it with these kernels, but it's not hot swappable, nor are all of the features of a typical SD slot there. It's not as easy as just turning it on.
    I understand. But are you telling me that with all the resources Google has at it's disposal, it can't at least give a time line?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B