Rattle sound when phone is shaked

JLogic0

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I noticed my Nexus 4 makes a light rattle sound when I shake it a little. It makes a tapping sound like something inside is loose. It's not too bad, everything works, but its definitely noticeable. Never dropped the phone. Anyone else hear this in their Nexus 4? Thanks.

Edit: This thread may be moved one level up to <Google Nexus 4>. Didn't realize there was another general forum above.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I noticed my Nexus 4 makes a light rattle sound when I shake it a little. It makes a tapping sound like something inside is loose. It's not too bad, everything works, but its definitely noticeable. Never dropped the phone. Anyone else hear this in their Nexus 4? Thanks.

Edit: This thread may be moved one level up to <Google Nexus 4>. Didn't realize there was another general forum above.

If you are still in warranty why not take it back to where you bought it just to confirm this rattle is nothing to worry about :)

JLogic0

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I hear it when I shake mine. From what I have read, it is somewhat normal to hear this noise.

Yea, its more noticeable when shaked forward/backward (in direction of screen and back). Wonder what it could be. Maybe someone who did a disassembly could figure out what it is.

Edit:

I have the older version (no nubs). I realize the "revised" version has "off centered" camera lens, while mine is "centered". Waiting to see if this "off center" placement solves the rattle. Hope someone who has the revised can chime in on whether it fixes the rattle.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Someone posted in another thread that it's a spring for the camera lens.

Regardless, mine does it too.

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Its just the camera nothing to worry about - I originally read it was the shutter but i might be wrong then again mobile camera's dont have shutters (not to protect the lense but the ones to limit light)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I hear it too when I shake forward and back. It sort of sounds like maybe an antenna or some other coil is jiggling ever so slightly. I think it is normal and I am not concerned at all. I didn't even know about the sound until I saw this thread and tested it next to my ear, but I don't think it is any sort of defect.

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It may be for you, but it was most definitely the camera in mine. Don't even notice it anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums