Nexus 4 won't boot.

jim_p_hill

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I applied an ota update - to 4.2.1 iirc - and the 'phone rebooted but gets only as far as the four glowing rods. From what I gather elsewhere, that means that the 'phone system files have changed, though I've no idea by what or how. This is my first smartphone and I've installed apps only from Google App Store. I'd already downloaded the Nexus 4 Toolkit but didn't do anything with it (ie no backups) apart from load the drivers to my pc (win7). The toolkit can see the 'phone and I can cycle between all the boot options but I'm in sore need of some advice.

Is there any way to reboot my nexus 4 into its last good state so that I can retain my data (minimal, thank goodness, and nothing that time won't correct)? If not, how should I proceed to get my 'phone working again?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I applied an ota update - to 4.2.1 iirc - and the 'phone rebooted but gets only as far as the four glowing rods. From what I gather elsewhere, that means that the 'phone system files have changed, though I've no idea by what or how. This is my first smartphone and I've installed apps only from Google App Store. I'd already downloaded the Nexus 4 Toolkit but didn't do anything with it (ie no backups) apart from load the drivers to my pc (win7). The toolkit can see the 'phone and I can cycle between all the boot options but I'm in sore need of some advice.

Is there any way to reboot my nexus 4 into its last good state so that I can retain my data (minimal, thank goodness, and nothing that time won't correct)? If not, how should I proceed to get my 'phone working again?

You'll probably need to follow 2defs guide to go back to stock bc you don't have a nandroid backup. Its in this subforum. Easy to do, youll still have your SD card stuff, everything else will be erased.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

First boot after an update can take a while to get past the Nexus logo. How long did you leave it?

jim_p_hill

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
First boot after an update can take a while to get past the Nexus logo. How long did you leave it?
About half an hour originally but, subsequently, about three hours and it still remained on the Nexus logo.

I've downloaded the factory image and I'm going to try installing it later today (when I finish painting the bedroom - good timing as always) using the Nexus 4 toolkit. I'm still a bit confused by the different boot options, eg fastboot mode doesn't boot at all, nevermind quickly, so why on earth is it called that? Anyway, I have four options available when the green robot is lying down with his panel open - "Start" in green, "Restart bootloader" in red, "Recovery mode" in red and "Power off" in white so, presumably, I have everything I need to get it restarted.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
About half an hour originally but, subsequently, about three hours and it still remained on the Nexus logo.

I've downloaded the factory image and I'm going to try installing it later today (when I finish painting the bedroom - good timing as always) using the Nexus 4 toolkit. I'm still a bit confused by the different boot options, eg fastboot mode doesn't boot at all, nevermind quickly, so why on earth is it called that? Anyway, I have four options available when the green robot is lying down with his panel open - "Start" in green, "Restart bootloader" in red, "Recovery mode" in red and "Power off" in white so, presumably, I have everything I need to get it restarted.

fastboot doesn't mean it's going to boot quickly. Its what we boot into when we wanna do hacky things to the phone. More info here. Android A to Z: What is fastboot? | Android Central no idea why they call it fastboot
Start - normal boot
Restart bootloader - brings you back to this menu after a restart
Recovery mode - launches the recovery console
Power off - powers down the phone.

If you just hit the power button on "start" does the phone boot normally? either way you are fine. recovering back to stock with the toolkit is pretty easy if you are able to get into the menu you are describing.

jim_p_hill

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
fastboot doesn't mean it's going to boot quickly
Snip explanation and link - thanks.

If you just hit the power button on "start" does the phone boot normally?
'Fraid not, no. I tried every combination that I could think of, including plugging and unplugging cables.

either way you are fine. recovering back to stock with the toolkit is pretty easy if you are able to get into the menu you are describing.
Thanks for the reassurance, much appreciated.

No idle hands for me tonight!