Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Remove Navigation Bar

Quote Originally Posted by mountainloafers View Post
    Ive noticed that my status/notification bar are gone. Also in TiBu the menu option has also vanished... Is there a command that will bring them back and keep the navigation bar away?
    I had the same problem with settings menus (...) vanishing in several apps, so I had to get rid of the build.prop mod.
    Remove Navigation Bar-uploadfromtaptalk1360680926011.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

My update on all this fun.

I purchased GMD Gestures because I love it's functionality and I've decided to support an app that's more than $1.
    I found that GMD Gestures hiding bar also hides my call notification...yikes!
    So now my solution has been to, not hide the status bar, edit the build.prop and create a gesture for menu/settings, this has been a nice sweet spot.
    I still have the top notification bar but I can live with that as I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

Add the suggested line in build.prop and GMD works better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    I had the same problem with settings menus (...) vanishing in several apps, so I had to get rid of the build.prop mod.

I have just noticed this problem with several apps. Makes it quite difficult to use UCCW widgets app since you can't change hotspots mode without the menu. Constantly adding/removing qemu.hw.mainkeys from build.prop. I guess I have to find a different solution that allows these to be hidden while leaving notification bar visible.

I use lmt pie and added a section for menu access to the pie and all is good. Also use the nova launcher. I believe it has the capabilities to hide the navbar and notification bar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I used the app and it took away my notification bar ? And navigation bar

This take notification bar away too how do you get the notification bar stay on your phone

Quote Originally Posted by AFM1204 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360680926011.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	60221

How are you getting your notification bar to stay with navigation bar gone. when I use this method it takes both away am I doing something wrong

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

You can't take away just the navigation bar with the GMD app. You have to edit the build.prop file.

Quote Originally Posted by gtamhankar View Post
    Add "qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1" (without the quotes) at the end of the build.prop in /system

I do exactly as you say in the post, yet when I reboot, my Motorola Razr HD says the following: "Unfortunately, the UI has stopped working."

Do you have any idea that I can change the qemu to ro.hw.mainkeys = 1
    I have done the same process repeated times and the same problem seems to come up, any help?

mine unable to save the modified build.prop file. how u do it?

You can do this without modifying your system with my new app: GMD Hide Soft Keys. It also add Quick NavBar that you can access with simple swipe from bottom.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NvZnRrZXlzIl0.

No reboot needed and no modifications are done to system (simply uninstall if you don't like it). You can hide/restore stock bar whenever you like or use Quick NavBar for quick button access. You can even open Quick NavBar and click button with single swipe.

And it even solves 'Menu' disappear problem - simply turn 'Spoof Soft Keys' ON and Android will think that you still have soft keys and won't hide Menu button.

Read my xda thread for more details:
    [ROOT][APP]GMD Hide Soft Keys - xda-developers

Hey im new to all these things so...
    Can u tell me how to add qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1
    To the prob.build thing ?

And then use Handy Soft Keys, a free app using which you will get navigation bar at any convenient position along the edges of the screen by drag and drop. Download at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....handysoftkeys. Or search it from Google Play by using key words "Handy Soft Keys"

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMoodDroid View Post
    You can do this without modifying your system with my new app: GMD Hide Soft Keys. It also add Quick NavBar that you can access with simple swipe from bottom.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NvZnRrZXlzIl0.

No reboot needed and no modifications are done to system (simply uninstall if you don't like it). You can hide/restore stock bar whenever you like or use Quick NavBar for quick button access. You can even open Quick NavBar and click button with single swipe.

And it even solves 'Menu' disappear problem - simply turn 'Spoof Soft Keys' ON and Android will think that you still have soft keys and won't hide Menu button.

Read my xda thread for more details:
    [ROOT][APP]GMD Hide Soft Keys - xda-developers

Do you know how i can remove the red line on the bottom after installing the app?

Global Posts
    999 Global Posts

Change theme or Launcher.

How would one go about doing removing the navigation bar or making it transparent WITHOUT rooting the phone? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well if you install kit Kat factory image. Then install Google search 3.1 and after then install Google experience launcher. Afterward you can enjoy transparent nav controls like the Nexus 5. Here a link: http://phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how-...oogle-command/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

can i do with out rooting my nexus 4.
    b'z i want warranty...
    plz can any one help me to hide nav bar or status bar.

Quote Originally Posted by gtamhankar View Post
    I was searching for some way to hide the bottom navigation bar and get some additional screen real estate.
    I know custom ROMs can do it but I'm running stock.
    Nova launcher lets you remove the dock but not the navigation bar.

On reading some threads on XDA I realized there are couple of different ways to do it.

1) Add "qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1" (without the quotes) at the end of the build.prop in /system
    2) Use an app like fullscreen toggle or GMD gesture

I used option 1 since I didn't want to install an app to do this, rebooted and it works!

Now with the navigation bar gone I use button savior which gives soft keys on the side which hide as and when required.

Thought this would be useful to someone like me who thinks the nav bar is a waste of space!
    Hehehe thanks dude!!
    I've used the first option because I didn't want to install third party software just to remove the navbar.
    After that I've installed PIE controls to control the softkey buttons that were visible on the navbar. And even added two more!!
    Thanks dude!! Maybe a tip for you, because the PIE control looks more flashy than button savior, imo.

Download Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer through Playstore.
    After that open the /system directory on your iPhone. Most of the time this can be found on the root of your phone. In Astro you can find this by clicking on sdcard0 and then on the top on the phone icon.
    Then you see the system folder. open in. In that folder you'll find the build.prop file. Tap and hold and choose for Open As > Text File > Choose your favorite text editor > and then add that lind at the end of that file. But beware. change on your own risk! It's your own responsibility. And also your phone needs to be rooted to change this file..

The following app temporarily removes softkeys, no root required:
    WTF Soft Keys here
    It works for me. My tablet isn't rooted. I'm using Android 4.2.2

I tried it on 2 different tablets and I rebooted and keep getting unfortunately, system UI has stopped . does anyone have a solution? I used buildprop editor and made a backup of my original but can't seem to get past the pop ups . any help?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12