Remove Navigation Bar

Punisher2all

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
How would one go about doing removing the navigation bar or making it transparent WITHOUT rooting the phone? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ashiekg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I was searching for some way to hide the bottom navigation bar and get some additional screen real estate.
I know custom ROMs can do it but I'm running stock.
Nova launcher lets you remove the dock but not the navigation bar.

On reading some threads on XDA I realized there are couple of different ways to do it.

1) Add "qemu.hw.mainkeys = 1" (without the quotes) at the end of the build.prop in /system
2) Use an app like fullscreen toggle or GMD gesture

I used option 1 since I didn't want to install an app to do this, rebooted and it works!

Now with the navigation bar gone I use button savior which gives soft keys on the side which hide as and when required.

Thought this would be useful to someone like me who thinks the nav bar is a waste of space!

Hehehe thanks dude!!
I've used the first option because I didn't want to install third party software just to remove the navbar.
After that I've installed PIE controls to control the softkey buttons that were visible on the navbar. And even added two more!!
Thanks dude!! Maybe a tip for you, because the PIE control looks more flashy than button savior, imo.

ashiekg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Download Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer through Playstore.
After that open the /system directory on your iPhone. Most of the time this can be found on the root of your phone. In Astro you can find this by clicking on sdcard0 and then on the top on the phone icon.
Then you see the system folder. open in. In that folder you'll find the build.prop file. Tap and hold and choose for Open As > Text File > Choose your favorite text editor > and then add that lind at the end of that file. But beware. change on your own risk! It's your own responsibility. And also your phone needs to be rooted to change this file..

tennisjunkie

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried it on 2 different tablets and I rebooted and keep getting unfortunately, system UI has stopped . does anyone have a solution? I used buildprop editor and made a backup of my original but can't seem to get past the pop ups . any help?