Remove Navigation Bar

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Got the notification bar back after uninstalling GMD, deleting the line, and rebooting. Started from scratch and added the line back then installed the pie like you have and it works. Love the pie and the extra screen space. Thanks

Nice, glad you got that sorted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 sitting on a Unicorn

mclark2112

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for this post. Like you I feel the navigation bar take up a lot of space for what for me is essentially just 2 functions - 'Back' and 'Home'.

I used option 1 to disable the Nav Bar, but instead of Button Saviour I use GMD Gesture and created custom gestures to swipe up from the bottom of the screen for Home (bottom middle), Back (bottom left) and Recent Apps (bottom right) buttons. In doing this you are just replacing the soft keys that you press with a swipe up from the same position, so the phone functions in much the same way but now I enjoy a bigger screen on my Nexus 4.
I did the same exact thing. But how do we get to Google Now? That was a swipe up from the bottom... Can't find a reference to it GM Gesture control.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I did the same exact thing. But how do we get to Google Now? That was a swipe up from the bottom... Can't find a reference to it GM Gesture control.
You can use GMD to set up a custom gesture. Go to the Custom Gestures menu, hit the +, and work your way through it. After setting up the location for the gesture, number of fingers, etc., press Select, Application, Google.

Sent from the bathroom using Android Central Forums

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I went the GMD Gesture Control route to hide the nav/status bar. I'm using custom gestures in place of the soft keys and liking it so far except I miss having my staus bar readily available. I made a gesture to quick access it but it then sets it to unhide. Bit of a pain. I think I will try OPs option 1 and go to a transparent staus bar.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Ive noticed that my status/notification bar are gone. Also in TiBu the menu option has also vanished... Is there a command that will bring them back and keep the navigation bar away?
I had the same problem with settings menus (...) vanishing in several apps, so I had to get rid of the build.prop mod.
uploadfromtaptalk1360680926011.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

thepktrckt

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My update on all this fun.

I purchased GMD Gestures because I love it's functionality and I've decided to support an app that's more than $1.
I found that GMD Gestures hiding bar also hides my call notification...yikes!
So now my solution has been to, not hide the status bar, edit the build.prop and create a gesture for menu/settings, this has been a nice sweet spot.
I still have the top notification bar but I can live with that as I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with settings menus (...) vanishing in several apps, so I had to get rid of the build.prop mod.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I have just noticed this problem with several apps. Makes it quite difficult to use UCCW widgets app since you can't change hotspots mode without the menu. Constantly adding/removing qemu.hw.mainkeys from build.prop. I guess I have to find a different solution that allows these to be hidden while leaving notification bar visible.

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I use lmt pie and added a section for menu access to the pie and all is good. Also use the nova launcher. I believe it has the capabilities to hide the navbar and notification bar.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

relizondogzz

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I do exactly as you say in the post, yet when I reboot, my Motorola Razr HD says the following: "Unfortunately, the UI has stopped working."

Do you have any idea that I can change the qemu to ro.hw.mainkeys = 1
I have done the same process repeated times and the same problem seems to come up, any help?

GoodMoodDroid

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
You can do this without modifying your system with my new app: GMD Hide Soft Keys. It also add Quick NavBar that you can access with simple swipe from bottom.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.hidesoftkeys&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nbWQuaGlkZXNvZnRrZXlzIl0.

No reboot needed and no modifications are done to system (simply uninstall if you don't like it). You can hide/restore stock bar whenever you like or use Quick NavBar for quick button access. You can even open Quick NavBar and click button with single swipe.

And it even solves 'Menu' disappear problem - simply turn 'Spoof Soft Keys' ON and Android will think that you still have soft keys and won't hide Menu button.

Read my xda thread for more details:
[ROOT][APP]GMD Hide Soft Keys - xda-developers

rupam95

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can do this without modifying your system with my new app: GMD Hide Soft Keys. It also add Quick NavBar that you can access with simple swipe from bottom.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.hidesoftkeys&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nbWQuaGlkZXNvZnRrZXlzIl0.

No reboot needed and no modifications are done to system (simply uninstall if you don't like it). You can hide/restore stock bar whenever you like or use Quick NavBar for quick button access. You can even open Quick NavBar and click button with single swipe.

And it even solves 'Menu' disappear problem - simply turn 'Spoof Soft Keys' ON and Android will think that you still have soft keys and won't hide Menu button.

Read my xda thread for more details:
[ROOT][APP]GMD Hide Soft Keys - xda-developers

Do you know how i can remove the red line on the bottom after installing the app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali