Best back up application without root?

Daanyyaal

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering of rooting my Nexus 4 soon but of course when rooting your device, your data is wiped.
I want to know if there is any good app to back up my device without root, so I can transfer the backed up data to my soon rooted phone.
Photos are not a problem as I have camera upload on through Dropbox, its just app data, texts, call logs etc.
Is there any app out there like that? Sucks that there is no dedicated sync application for PC/Mac! I keep having to start games from scratch like GTA 3! :'(

Any sort of help would be much appreciated!! :D

JonJonXD

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I would second Carbon.

I had used Titanium Back Up Pro back when I used to fiddle with my Droid X.

However, now that I've gotten into fiddling with my Nexus 4 (running Paranoid Android 3.1+ right now) and I have to say, I prefer carbon.

The pro version is worth every penny. I just do app data back ups to my google drive. Then when I'm done fiddling with the phone, I just let google play download the apps back to the phone and load up carbon, have it restore latest back ups from my google drive. No computer necessary (though until you are rooted, you need the desktop app for Carbon).

I highly recommend it.

immovablesoup

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you root with Motochopper, you lose no data as the boot loader remains locked. If you then want to unlock the boot loader, you can use Titanium Backup first as you will have root.

Posted via Android Central App

ibcnul8ter

May 1, 2013
Visit site
i just had great luck with "helium" (used to be carbon). It backs up the app and game info for what is selected. I backed it up internally, then got on the PC and copied that file info to a new phone. other options available with paid app. And then on the new phone did a restore. worked great. kinda of reminds me of sideloading on a blackberry (phone goes into developer mode)

bugmenot211

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
There isn't possible to backup applications or apps' data without root to the device itself. The only way is to the computer using adb backup. If you have root you can use Titanium Backup, however root may not be compatible with locked bootloaders, encryption or other security measures which plain sucks. Google needs to really improve at this point.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is possible to backup without root. There are two methods I know of.

Log into Google account, then go to Settings -> Backup and reset, enable backups -> Sync device.

Or: Download CyanogenMod's Helium, both the phone app and the companion PC program. Run Helium app on an unrooted phone and follow the onscreen instruction.