Android 4.4.4 and T-Mobile network issues?

wilderja

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 from the play store (as of last December). Recently, I have been having severe network connection issues with "Time without a signal" ranging as high as 30% over a couple of hours. Sometimes it works for a couple of hours and never has that problem. I have T-Mobile. I have talked with them and they say the tower (2G only in this area) is fine. I have swapped the SIM card, done a factory reset, even had Play Store replace the phone, and I am still having problems. Could this be an issue with the latest KitKat 4.4.4? Another bad phone? T-Mobile is running more tests on their tower, but I don't remember this problem earlier. As it is in my pocket a lot, I don't know how often it drops the connection, but I don't remember this happening earlier this year. Could this be an issue with 4.4.4?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you often indoors? Is signal worse indoors, which is more likely with T-Mobile than with other carriers?

Posted via Android Central App

wilderja

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am often indoors. But I have been indoors a lot (I work from home) and this appears to be a relatively new issue. I have been a T-Mobile customer in this same house doing the same thing for several years, and again, this appears to be a relatively new issue. So, could this be an issue with Android and the Nexus 5? My wife has a Moto X, and when I drop the signal, she does not, which implies it may be the phone as the sim card has already been replaced.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be a phone issue--signal dropping has been a somewhat common complaint for the Nexus 5. Since you're often at home, you could consider calling T-Mobile and requesting a signal booster, which they provide for free if you're on the Simple Choice plan. I have one at home, and it boosts my signal from 1-2 bars to 5 bars on a call.

wilderja

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have called them. Unfortunately, my tower is still 2G (not upgraded yet) and they say their boosters ONLY work on 3G/4G, not 2G. **SIGH**

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
You should call them back and have them reprovision your phone. I just went through this with Sprint, fixed my problem. Let us know what happens.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

wilderja

May 23, 2011
Visit site
"reprovision your phone" - what does that mean? If this by chance means a factory reset, I have already done that, as well as replace the sim.

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
No, they will ask you to enter numbers into your phone, it reboots and ir re-registers your phone on their network. No loss of data or info. It is NOT a factory reset.

I had to go to level 2 tech support, not sure if the CSR's are able to do it on their own.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

wilderja

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting - I will try that in the near future (trying other things first). Would this also happen if I change the SIM card? I am guessing not, but I want to check, as I have replaced the SIM card.If not, then I will put that on my list to try.
Thanks for the help.

kjell_leo

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I live in Sweden and I run on Telias-network.

I have the same issue. I'm leaving a comment here so I can follow this thread.

Best regards
Joakim