Toolkit vs. Manual Method

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Where do you stand on toolkits vs taking the time to root manually? I've tried it both ways and and I've got to say I'm glad I know how to gain root without relying upon someone's toolkit. I'm not hating on them, but I'm happy I learned how to do it myself. What do you guys think?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Where do you stand on toolkits vs taking the time to root manually? I've tried it both ways and and I've got to say I'm glad I know how to gain root without relying upon someone's toolkit. I'm not hating on them, but I'm happy I learned how to do it myself. What do you guys think?

I personally like to do things manually. For me, it's part of a learning process, I enjoy getting to know how the system works. As an added bonus, I've found that having a basic understanding of the processes helps immensely when you need to troubleshoot problems.

With my Nexus 10, for example, I made sure to know how to manually flash a stock image, install custom recovery and gain root. Knowing how to do stuff like this had me enjoying the 4.4 update the day it was released, while many of the folks on the forums here were still complaining about not getting the OTA update days later.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to all of this, so for me, I started with a toolkit. Now that I have gotten that under my belt and have learned more about it, I'm ready for manual.

I had set a goal of learning how to root for the month of December, when grad school was out of session. The toolkit was a good first step, but now that I understand the terms and process more, m looking forward to manual. I think they provide a good model or example of the process. I got to watch what is supposed to happen throughout the different steps.

Tonight, m going to unroot and relock my Nexus 7 and do it manually, and see if I can restore everything with titanium to save time. Once I have some experience doing it, I'll do it with my phone. I also hope to try a couple different user guides to see if there are any differences in approaches, all in the name of learning.

So, I think toolkits provide a good starting place, but I think of you're going to root, you should learn the manual way in the end.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

evostudios

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I personally favor the manual method. That way I know everything that's going on. I've never used a toolkit for my Nexus devices, the manual way is just as easy. Plus, I can troubleshoot easier that way.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the manual way as well. It helps you grasp a basic understanding of what you are doing and what is needed to fix an issue.

krifor03

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Manual for the win! Know what your doing, don't trust someone's random code! I could make a root kit that roots your phone but also installs an app for monitoring your personal activities. That and it's just plain lazy

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Got sideload?

phippski

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I prefer manual. My nexus 4 was my first ever root and I did it manually and then manual again for nexus 5. I would only ever do it manually

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

tweakage

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I personally like to do things manually. For me, it's part of a learning process, I enjoy getting to know how the system works. As an added bonus, I've found that having a basic understanding of the processes helps immensely when you need to troubleshoot problems.

With my Nexus 10, for example, I made sure to know how to manually flash a stock image, install custom recovery and gain root. Knowing how to do stuff like this had me enjoying the 4.4 update the day it was released, while many of the folks on the forums here were still complaining about not getting the OTA update days later.

Exactly THIS

I first got hooked on rooting when I got my Thunderbolt a couple years ago. Not sure it's totally necessary to enjoy a phone like the Nexus 5 but I can't stand limitations and rooting removes all limitations.

Rooting a Nexus device has become so effortless, I know the commands without looking anymore.

I rooted my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (2013) manually even though I have a toolkit, I find it totally unnecessary and a little boring, but that's just me.

The entire process to unlock the boot loader, flash custom recovery and root takes 5 or 6 minutes now.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I did it opposite of some of you. I first did it manually then switched to using the toolkit. The reason? It's easier. I don't need to learn how to do it, because I already did. I unlocked the bootloader and rooted manually first to learn the process, but after that I don't see the point. To me the toolkit's purpose is like any other tool; it's there to make life easier.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I've all three of my Android phones (4 if you count the two N4s I've been through). I started with my HTC Inspire 4G using a kit and then the N4 also using a kit. I almost don't why I rooted my Nexus devices. I love stock Android, I even ran an ASOP ROM on the Inspire. But I just enjoy tinkering with phones in general I guess. My friends have come to me to root theirs as well.

kit717

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Toolkit all the way. Connect and finding the right driver is toughest part but after that it is cake walk w few clicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non