When is Google going to do their next big device announcement?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response. Money is not a particular concern- I'm not a millionaire or anything, but I can afford to pay for the flagships. I agree, based on my research, that the updates are overrated. But stock Android, from what I hear, is preferable to the skins from the flagships. Is that not true? I had been led to believe that the Nexus 6 (likely) would be the hardware equivalent of the flagships without the bloat and skins, which is why I had earmarked it for my next phone. You know, if it actually will be released in 2014.

Pros for the next Nexus, presuming it follows its historical trend:
  • It will be as good as anything out there in terms of raw power, and nothing will run Android OS smoother;
  • The screen will be at least 1080P, and imho you won't notice any lack of detail, nor recognize it as being visibly deficient vs a QHD screen unless you scrutinize them closely side by side;
  • It may not offer premium build components, but it will be well built and highly functional; and
  • It's not that Nexus will get faster updates, but rather, and more importantly, that it will continue to receive updates to subsequent versions for some time (the Nexus 4 is expected to receive L when it releases, despite being two years old). You can rest comfortably that with any other flagship you might currently buy you will receive Android L in time, but unless you're willing to root (which may void your warranty) you may not see subsequent updates for as long as you can anticipate directly on the Nexus devices -- and that can make a big difference down the line (again, if you don't root, and if you expect to keep the phone for more than a year or two).
  • In terms of value, it will by far be the "biggest bang for the buck."

Here's a few assorted generic pros for other flagships in comparison:
  • They may offer additional software suites (though often only replicating the same function already available on the Nexus (or readily available on Google Play);
  • You will have greater option as to display size and resolution (if, for example, N6 comes out with QHD, some might prefer regular HD for the battery efficiency if they don't perceive the display difference);
  • You'll have the option of selecting a phone that has whatever level of opulent feel you like;
  • A variety of features not likely to be integrated on Nexus are available elsewhere (i.e. IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, waterproof, and most notably micro SD, etc);
  • Premium camera. While the Nexus cameras have gotten dramatically better (the N5 is actually quite good), Google hasn't tried to offer the 'best' available; and
  • Many are available now.

There is no right answer for everyone - it's what the priorities are for you.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
You can still pick up NIB Nexus 4's on eBay from reputable sellers, so I expect that picking up a NIB Nexus 5 won't be a problem for quite a while.

seungklee

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Personally, i would like to know when Google will stop selling the N5. If i don't like the N6, i'd still like to buy the N5 directly from Google, and not Ebay.:p

That's why I bought a used Nexus 5 in the anticipation that Nexus 6 will come out so I have some seat time with my device :) I came from using Samsung Galaxy S3 and its TouchWiz slows the phone down considerably over time. I love Nexus 5's performance!

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I for one, and many of my friends/co-workers use just about every google pre-installed app. The only exception being magazine stand. Even that got heavy use before I started using google+ more often. The difference between carrier bloat and Googles "bloat" is that googles apps are functional, smooth, and actually enhance the user experience, at least for me. Carrier bloat is literally completely useless and doesn't provide anything.

This privacy statement is also a little odd for me. Although not as secure as some other OS's, its certainly not as bad as you make it seem. Additionally, google is clearly trying to improve security with the latest news the Android L will auto encrypt your data.

I am unaware we are now discussing carrier app now? and your assessment of google bloat is quite "subjective", who is to say something is definitely function, enhance experience for everybody? Not me, nor you, I'm afraid.

Privacy is not the same as security, I am pretty sure we are talking about different things, users can be super secure, and still transmit massive private information to google.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Personally, i would like to know when Google will stop selling the N5. If i don't like the N6, i'd still like to buy the N5 directly from Google, and not Ebay.:p

I think the nexus 5 production has stopped already, and has been pulled from some carriers, might be seeing a nexus 6 next month.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how LG g3 can disappoint you.

Nexus 6 will be worth the wait if money is a concern, otherwise, it would not be better than any other flagship phones released recently.

Quick system upgrade from Google is overrated, it doesn't affect your day to day use of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

LG G3 can disappoint if you don't like the physical size.

My sister and her fiance both got G3s, but my sister's G3 has some horrible lag with the LG keyboard. Fixed it by switching to the Google Keyboard. Her fiance's doesn't have the lag.

I do agree that quick system updates are probably overrated. It really doesn't affect your day to day use. But I say that as I glance over at my Verizon Moto X and my PREPAID Verizon Moto G, both on Android 4.4.4... I lol at other OEMs.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
My question is not when will it be announced, but where are all the leaks they gave us last year. The Sept 3rd unveiling, the FCC filings in early September, the guy leaving one in the bar mid September. I just want something....

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
As far as specs are concerned. You can probably expect it to be as good as the 1+1 as far as hardware. It will be slightly better in performance and specs than the 2014 Moto X.

(Compare 2013 Moto X and N5).

Both Moto X and N5 ran stock Android and received updates very close to the same time.

Hoping it will have 2700-3000 mAh battery. 16GB will probably be the base storage, which in my opinion, is a joke. Still hate the idea of Google and Apple trying to push cloud storage only on us.

I predict the N6/NX will be the best selling Nexus device of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I am unaware we are now discussing carrier app now? and your assessment of google bloat is quite "subjective", who is to say something is definitely function, enhance experience for everybody? Not me, nor you, I'm afraid.

Privacy is not the same as security, I am pretty sure we are talking about different things, users can be super secure, and still transmit massive private information to google.

I wasn't speaking for everyone, which is why I ended my sentence with "at least for me". That said, there isn't anything subjective about how well an app is deigned (you or I may not like a particular design but if its smooth and does the job well then that's all that really matters). Yes functionality can be subjective of course, but their (googles) apps remain well designed and, if you choose to use them, very functional. I understand where your coming from though if you don't want to use them, it really would boil down to just being bloat for you.

Regarding Privacy/Security, yeah I went off on a tangent there, my bad. On a related note, I thought there was a way to minimize/control or turn off what private info is transmitted to google?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty