LG V40 specs confirmed, are you going to upgrade?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The LG V40 Hardware Specs:

6.4-inch 18:9 display
P-OLED QHD+
Snapdragon 845
6 GB of RAM
128 GB of storage
3300 mAh battery
Quad DAC audio (newest version)
Stereo boombox speakers (just like the G7)

Five camera setup: three at the back and two at the front with Snapdragon 845’s Spectra 280 ISP

Rear Cameras:
12 MP (f/1.5) + 16 (f/1.9) + 12 MP (f/2.4) (wide angle, regular, and telephoto lens)

Front Facing Cameras:
8 MP + 5 MP duo

Android version is unknown, most likely Android Oreo or Pie.

My thoughts: I'm assuming the body design will look like LG's recent designs. I think they're not going to have a notch because earlier this year, LG asked Reddit what they thought about the G7 notch and they received huge backlash and ended up deleting the post due to embarrassment. The G7 was already finished so they probably couldn't redesign it in time for its planned release. So therefore I'm guessing the design will look like a cross between the V30 and G7 (without the notch but includes a power button on the right side and an extra Google Assistant button on the left, FPS still on the back), and I assume the screen will be flatter like the G7 so screen protectors are easier to install.. I think LG got the message and learned that people want to install tempered glass screen protectors on it (I hope so.. the curved V30 screen made it frustrating to install a glass protector). Don't expect a removable battery, I'm not. I don't think removable batteries are necessary anymore, especially with Snapdragon 845 and the ability to reduce the screen resolution from 4k down to 1080p or 720p (plus other battery saving features and technology). Price wise, I would predict it to be more expensive than the G7 at launch and more closer to the V30+ or V30s pricing at launch which seems typical considering their past flagships and their pricing.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it's worth the upgrade now? Are you planning to upgrade from your V20, after knowing the specs and (possible) design?

Sources:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Complete-details-of-the-LG-V40-revealed.328674.0.html

Leaked Image/Render (not confirmed):
LG-V40-ThinQ-Features-Leaked-1 (1).png

***UPDATE: 09/29/18:

Official announcement and teaser video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rhsBjjeiA

Official teaser photo:

lg_v40_thinq_carmine_red_4.jpg

Front display leaked image:

fdb1fe4.jpg

There will be a matte finish on the back glass, which will help reduce fingerprints and give it a nice, sleek look. The phone resembles a cross between a G7 and V30, but will have a larger 6.4 inch display and most likely a P-OLED display, continuing the V30's OLED trend.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not really sure. Battery removable feature is probably the main reason that I got V20.

Technology improves over time. Batteries are lasting much longer, more efficient, and have longer longevity. Snapdragon 845 demands less power but is still powerful compared to a flagship from 2 years ago. They are currently working on a new type of battery that will never age and can last decades, and also charge instantly. Lithium Ion batteries are disposal but still can last a very long time if taken care of. I have a bunch of old phones that still works with the original battery. https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Technology improves over time. Batteries are lasting much longer, more efficient, and have longer longevity. Snapdragon 845 demands less powerbut is still powerful compared to a flagship from 2 years ago. They are currently working on a new type of battery that will never age and can last decades, and also charge instantly.
So battery is still aging right? Lol.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
These are just rumoured specs, not confirmed. Be that as it may too much of a downgrade in features for me to get excited over. I still plan to stick with my V20.

baul0010

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
the specs sound good as long as they don't have curved glass. I'll probably keep my v20 and buy used when the prices drop.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well.....if it is a $1000.00 category phone, probably not. At $1000.00 + for a phone, I'm waiting until 5G devices start becoming available in 2019. 5G will have a significant impact on the user experience. IMHO, things like in-screen finger print scanners, more ram and updated SoC's won't change my user experience that much.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I am still extremely happy with my V30 on multiple levels.

Almost a year and I'm still getting great battery life.

Personally I don't like the idea of a separate power and fingerprint sensor.

Chances are that I'll stick with the V30+ but I'll upgrade my daughter's G6 to the V40. Then I can do a real comparison and decide if I want to upgrade.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on updating my V20 before the end of the year. I've been waiting on the V40 and I'm looking forward to when it officially drops...

Sadly, in this day and age, the removable battery is becoming extinct and I can live with that. But the DAC is what has got me hooked. I love it on the V20 and I'm sure the newer version on the V40 will have its perks.

That being said...
The OnePlus 6T has caught my eye, especially since I'm a T-Mobile customer and rumor has it that it's going to be available through T-Mobile.

V40 vs OnePlus 6T is my dilemma...
Can I forgo the DAC? Will it be that much of a "downgrade" if any, going to a 6T?

decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Anthow68

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm planning on updating my V20 before the end of the year. I've been waiting on the V40 and I'm looking forward to when it officially drops...

Sadly, in this day and age, the removable battery is becoming extinct and I can live with that. But the DAC is what has got me hooked. I love it on the V20 and I'm sure the newer version on the V40 will have its perks.

That being said...
The OnePlus 6T has caught my eye, especially since I'm a T-Mobile customer and rumor has it that it's going to be available through T-Mobile.

V40 vs OnePlus 6T is my dilemma...
Can I forgo the DAC? Will it be that much of a "downgrade" if any, going to a 6T?

decisions, decisions...

The 6 doesn't have wireless charging, but the 6T might I guess. That's never been a deal breaker for me though. I've never even bothered with wireless charging.

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Love my V20 w/oreo. Was actually considering a note 9. But alas a V40. This could keep me from the dark side. Especially if the specs are as listed. Yes yes.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope.

For the price it simply isn't attractive. Nothing is in the $1,000 range.

The incremental improvement over the previous generations is extremely small but the price is 2-3x as large. That makes it utterly silly from an economic perspective.

If you buy things to "virtue signal" your wealth, well, have at it. If you buy them for utility then there's nothing in the last two generations of handsets that makes them interesting and this will not change until Band 71 becomes important on T-Mobile, which is still a couple of years off. At THAT point there will be something in the "two years old" realm that HAS Band 71, so the wise man who is on that carrier in the US waits.

If you're NOT on T-Mobile or not in the US at all then it's even less-relevant.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd consider it. I feel it may be too big for me but with the way today's phablets are going, it may not be. I'll be sure to test it out in the store before making any judgment calls. Love the 18:9 display and the battery size. Notch or not, I'll give it a look!

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
After LG's complete lack of updates for the V20, my next phone will not be an LG.

Hopefully Huawei does something good with the next Mate phone. If not Note 9 at 800 dollars or less. (I buy phones outright so no 1000 dollar nonsense for me.)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the rumoured devices LG V40 thread.

I doubt if I will purchase a V40 unless the price drastically drops.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Too expensive, though i want that DAC, but battery is too low and it's overpriced, plus LG update record sucks.

If I'm gonna pay 1000 for a phone, if ever, that would be Mate 20 Pro.

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Also adding to the Lack of Updates experience with my V20. LG is beyond terrible for major OS updates, and if that wasn't the case, sure I'd jump to the V40.

Spending flagship money but getting boned by LG and then carriers to even get a single OS update is not acceptable. Yep, phone still functions just fine, but c'mon, you should be guaranteed at least 2 major Android versions when spending that kind of money.