6p.. headphone /earphone volume too low.....

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So far I've only tried out my on ear Sol Republic Tracks V8 headphones, but they get as loud as I need without hurting. They have 60ohm drivers on them. My old Galaxy S3 can push them further, but above the level that the 6p gets, there is also more distortion as well. So far I can say I'm OK with the output level.

robpasell

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use a pair of Moto Surround, and I feel like it's really low compared to my Moto X. I feel like I'm missing a setting somewhere.

EDIT:

It's the equalizer in Google Play Music. Turn that off and the volume is much better. Unfortunately without the equalizer, everything sounds like ****. I think it's the bass boost that does it, but even all the way down the volume still won't pump out like it should. Every other app that plays sound seems to work fine though.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Plenty loud enough however I did get caught out trying to plug my shure ones in. They were a bit quiet and everyone was taking the **** at me moaning. Turns out the speakers were still on too and full blast.
The plug wouldn't go in past the quartz case properly as the hole in the case is too small for the sturdy plug.

Posted via the Android Central App

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Got my replacement device in 3 days, not to bad. Anyways I can now plug my head phones in the jack all the way and the audio is plenty loud.

Supa Mint

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just received my 6p last night. We already know that it's a great phone overall; so after going through the initial setup, the very first thing that I tested was music through the headphones. First of all, I had no problem with the headphone jack - both my Bose in-ear headphone, and my Bose over-ear headphones slid into the jack perfectly and easily. But I'm sorry to report that the sound quality and volume is woefully lacking. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but think that most anyone would be completely uninspired by the sound quality. Maximum volume is what I consider to be barely at comfortable listening volume in a quiet room. In a loud environment (airplane), the volume will be insufficient, even at max. And the overall quality was a big step down from my Sony Z1S.

I plan to keep the phone, for all of the other reasons that we're aware of. But I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed that a flagship phone would overlook audio quality to this extent. It's very unfortunate.

Anyway, I just wanted to report my findings, so that others could add this to their decision-making criteria when picking out a new phone. If you are an audiophile, and music is one of your top criteria for a new phone, you will most likely be disappointed with the 6p.

Question: Is there any chance that a future software upgrade could improve the audio quality? Or is that a function of hardware only?

Thanks.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Also been using the audio jack in my truck this week and I'm confident saying that I could probably damage the speakers in the truck on full volume. Very loud, tested with the music player app as well as Tunein Radio app. I did notice that certain EQ settings in music player were prone to muffling the volume output but that's an app issue.

AeonZeroX

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why some of the folk on this thread are soo saaalty. But in my view since coming from the HTC ONE M7/M8, which hands down had the best onboard DACs i've ever used this isn't bad. Its definitely vastly superior to the Nexus 6 which is hohum output and fidelity. Honestly you cannot tell unless you using some powerful headphones/IEMs. Honestly the only headphones I have that can't output worth anything are just my AKGs k702s. But they are the hardest, most power hungry cans I own and even the m8 had a hard time powering those monsters. Honestly unless your rolling some sennheisers/shures(which is arguable honestly), its pretty solid if only a mid treble on them, but ymmv depending on your headphones you use. Normal usage gets plenty loud without killing my poor ears lol.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I can trust someone who says "honestly" four times!

;)

I use an M7 still, and no doubt the DAC is incredible. I have some strong hesitancy jumping on board the Nexus line since audio is just as important to me as the display. This has me thinking of going the Moto X Pure route or possibly the A9. I just can't make up my mind...

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
In ears or over the ear?

I think "loud" is very subjective, depending on the users hearing, what they are using (earbuds or over ears), the resistance of what they are using (24 ohm, 60 ohm etc), etc.

The only scientific thing we have to go on is the pro reviews that measured the output and Im pretty sure they all agreed its low, so I dont think its an issue of differing hardware (unless production was changed mid-stream which I doubt considering they havent been produced very long)

This is literally the ONLY thing that bothers me about my 64GB Aluminum.....it doesnt get as loud as even my LG G2 that its replacing. Granted, I could get a headphone amp if I wanted, but didnt feel like I should have to. I also dont want to take my chances on an RMA unit to end up with a worse screen, etc. on the far chance that I get a "louder" headphone output.

The "scientific" reviews are all over the map too. I've read reviews that conclude the volume is too low and others say it's loud.
The volume on the two 6Ps that I bought for my household had great volume. Impressive, in fact.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just received my 6p last night. We already know that it's a great phone overall; so after going through the initial setup, the very first thing that I tested was music through the headphones. First of all, I had no problem with the headphone jack - both my Bose in-ear headphone, and my Bose over-ear headphones slid into the jack perfectly and easily. But I'm sorry to report that the sound quality and volume is woefully lacking. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but think that most anyone would be completely uninspired by the sound quality. Maximum volume is what I consider to be barely at comfortable listening volume in a quiet room. In a loud environment (airplane), the volume will be insufficient, even at max. And the overall quality was a big step down from my Sony Z1S.

I plan to keep the phone, for all of the other reasons that we're aware of. But I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed that a flagship phone would overlook audio quality to this extent. It's very unfortunate.

Anyway, I just wanted to report my findings, so that others could add this to their decision-making criteria when picking out a new phone. If you are an audiophile, and music is one of your top criteria for a new phone, you will most likely be disappointed with the 6p.

Question: Is there any chance that a future software upgrade could improve the audio quality? Or is that a function of hardware only?

Thanks.

My wife and I both had a 6P and our experience was totally opposite yours. She's a music professor so the quality of audio is much more important to her. She gave her 6P high marks in the audio department. We both found the volume louder than necessary.
So I think there will be people who will be satisfied with the audio in their 6P and others who find it lacking. This thread is a great example of that.

Supa Mint

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Also been using the audio jack in my truck this week and I'm confident saying that I could probably damage the speakers in the truck on full volume. Very loud, tested with the music player app as well as Tunein Radio app. I did notice that certain EQ settings in music player were prone to muffling the volume output but that's an app issue.

Sounds like the amp in your truck is strong. It's the phone amp, which headphones use, that could probably use an upgrade.

I may have to pick up an external amp/DAC.

Supa Mint

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I both had a 6P and our experience was totally opposite yours. She's a music professor so the quality of audio is much more important to her. She gave her 6P high marks in the audio department. We both found the volume louder than necessary.
So I think there will be people who will be satisfied with the audio in their 6P and others who find it lacking. This thread is a great example of that.

Interesting! What type of headphones does she use?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the amp in your truck is strong. It's the phone amp, which headphones use, that could probably use an upgrade.

I may have to pick up an external amp/DAC.

I've recently had some experience with having a low signal input in my car audio system. I installed a CAN Bus to line level converter to add an after market subwoofer to my system. The output on it was extremely low, and even with a powerful amplifier, I couldn't drive my sub to any meaningful volume. The converter's output was about half of what normal signal level should be to drive the amplifier, and I couldn't do anything to make up for that low starting signal. After switching to a powered speaker to line level converter, I have enough signal to get loud, clean sound from my sub. But the point is, to get decent speaker output, you have to start with a decent input signal, otherwise you're always going to be trying to overcome that low input signal. So I doubt his amplifier is going to do that when the amp I'm using required upgrading the wiring and is a Class D amplifier which are known for working with lower input signals.

I think that the issue here is that audio level consistency isn't uniform across all 6ps. Even reviews are all over the map, with some saying it has paltry signal level and some saying it can get too loud. If it is too low, I'd try getting a replacement and see if that resolves the issue.

KngR

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
My 6P continues to dish out low low volume. Even at 100% I couldn't fully hear most audio that was playing on the phone (be it MP3, videos or streamed music/video). I love the phone for everything else. Hope google or Huawei somehow addresses this. It does appear that users are split (some getting great loud sound, while others getting low volume).

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Get a set of bluetooth headphones, that will fix your volume problems and it will get rid of the annoying wires.

southflpix

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My volume is fine for a normal room, but in the gym where it's noisy and often has music playing in the background, I have to turn it up to 100% just to barely hear it. The Oneplus 2 I had for about 3 weeks was much louder in this situation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi