6p.. headphone /earphone volume too low.....

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What are you using to listen to music? Iv been listening through the amazon app and at near max/max volume it hurts my ears, iv been setting it at about 50% to be comfortable to me. Its decent quality, not the best, but not bad. It does lack the low end though.

I havent tried with bluetooth, there should be a difference if you use those instead.

I use a set of LG ear buds and I have to turn the volume down a bit because at full blast it's uncomfortable. As far as talking with the 6P to my ear it's average volume. No better or worse than any other device I've had.

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
OK I tried several different pairs of headphones and none of them will plug in all the way, I'm pushing pretty hard.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Is your guys headphone jack really easy or hard to plug-in. I have a set of iPhone earbuds and they don't seem to plug in all the way and I can't get any audio out of them.

Mine definitely has an unusually strong point of resistance that I have to push past. If I don't push the pin in all the way, the volume is incredibly low and sometimes doesn't even engage the speaker cut off.

randp1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Using Dre beats and they sound decent, but I will have to agree that they are a bit low because my moto x pure blows this phone away with the audio quality.

tehbobs

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That was as far as I could push it in.

That's odd. I have a pair of the Apple headphones that are sideways and they fit all the way in. The white part rests against the phone.
I wonder if people who are having volume issues have an equalizer or something set low.

I use the Amazon app and on some cheap sony, Apple, and viso nads the volume hurts at around 65%.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like quality control is all over the map with the 6P. We were fortunate to get two perfectly working devices in my house. Might not bet on a third device.

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
That's odd. I have a pair of the Apple headphones that are sideways and they fit all the way in. The white part rests against the phone.
I wonder if people who are having volume issues have an equalizer or something set low.

I use the Amazon app and on some cheap sony, Apple, and viso nads the volume hurts at around 65%.

In ears or over the ear?

I think "loud" is very subjective, depending on the users hearing, what they are using (earbuds or over ears), the resistance of what they are using (24 ohm, 60 ohm etc), etc.

The only scientific thing we have to go on is the pro reviews that measured the output and Im pretty sure they all agreed its low, so I dont think its an issue of differing hardware (unless production was changed mid-stream which I doubt considering they havent been produced very long)

This is literally the ONLY thing that bothers me about my 64GB Aluminum.....it doesnt get as loud as even my LG G2 that its replacing. Granted, I could get a headphone amp if I wanted, but didnt feel like I should have to. I also dont want to take my chances on an RMA unit to end up with a worse screen, etc. on the far chance that I get a "louder" headphone output.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
In ears or over the ear?

I think "loud" is very subjective, depending on the users hearing, what they are using (earbuds or over ears), the resistance of what they are using (24 ohm, 60 ohm etc), etc.

The only scientific thing we have to go on is the pro reviews that measured the output and Im pretty sure they all agreed its low, so I dont think its an issue of differing hardware (unless production was changed mid-stream which I doubt considering they havent been produced very long)

This is literally the ONLY thing that bothers me about my 64GB Aluminum.....it doesnt get as loud as even my LG G2 that its replacing. Granted, I could get a headphone amp if I wanted, but didnt feel like I should have to. I also dont want to take my chances on an RMA unit to end up with a worse screen, etc. on the far chance that I get a "louder" headphone output.

And just for comparison purposes, I'm coming from a G2 as well, and my Nexus is at least as loud as, if not louder than the LG. With my not terribly expensive earbuds in (and I've tried it with 3 different pair) I can't turn the volume on my 6P up past about 75% without it being seriously uncomfortable on my ears. And unfortunately, due to many years working on farms and in factories in my youth, my hearing just isn't all that sensitive anymore. Seems like there must be some kind of inconsistent hardware issue going on.

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
And just for comparison purposes, I'm coming from a G2 as well, and my Nexus is at least as loud as, if not louder than the LG. With my not terribly expensive earbuds in (and I've tried it with 3 different pair) I can't turn the volume on my 6P up past about 75% without it being seriously uncomfortable on my ears. And unfortunately, due to many years working on farms and in factories in my youth, my hearing just isn't all that sensitive anymore. Seems like there must be some kind of inconsistent hardware issue going on.

That would stink...I dont want to RMA my device to try and get louder headphone output.

Everything else has checked out. Screen coloring and consistency, no marks on the case, no dents out of the box. The offset "bulge" is there but barely (and I case my phones anyway so it will never bother me).

I just hate having "what if" (I could get a better one) in the back of my mind.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
That would stink...I dont want to RMA my device to try and get louder headphone output.

Everything else has checked out. Screen coloring and consistency, no marks on the case, no dents out of the box. The offset "bulge" is there but barely (and I case my phones anyway so it will never bother me).

I just hate having "what if" (I could get a better one) in the back of my mind.

Or it could just be that those people who are having issues with earbud audio volume on the 6p just arent getting their plug pushed in to the jack all the way?

With practically every audio jack ive ever seen, you should be able to press the plug all the way into the jack. if you dont, you get issues with audio. I think some people may just be afraid of breaking their phone because they dont feel they should push that hard (and you shouldn't have to, really) and they arent getting the plug in the jack all the way, and because of this volume is sacrificed.

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm still waiting for my 6p, but I will be testing this along with all the other little qualms people have found so far when it finally does arrive.

capncoad

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Many (all?) bluetooth headphones have their own amps built in. My LG does. Which is why it can get much louder. Using APT X, you'll probably get good loud sound.

The amp in the 6P has a lower voltage, and as far as i've read it won't drive many decent headphones well. You'd have to purchase a FiiO if that matters to you. I tend to listen to most of my music in bed before I got to sleep, so a dedicated amp isn't the end of the world. For commuters it's probably not acceptable.

iPhones will always have the best DACS and the better output out of the box. Samsung (Exynos phones only) are not far behind Apple.

--

Edit: With my own experience, I never bother plugging in my Sennheiser HD555 which I believe is 50ohms and just sounds kind of hobbled on phones. I have Sennheiser Momentums (18ohms) that get clean and loud with it. But it's missing some punch that the S6 has, and definitely can't compete plugging into higher powered sources like my Macbook Pro.

It's not an audiophile experience out of the box. Or for those that take audio somewhat seriously. You'll need an amp, whether it's bluetooth or dedicated.

tehbobs

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I
In ears or over the ear?

The apple ones are the newish (i think) in ear ones that go sideways. The nads I have are over the ear. As to loud, its loud enough that someone with good hearing, would not have difficulty hearing it in a normal environment (i pass average on all my occupational hearing tests). I dont know if they are listening on say an airplane, but its loud enough that I could set my headphones on the table and listen to it that way if i need to. At that point in the ear it would be really loud. If someone is concerned about blockout noise perhaps trying with some noise isolation EIMs would be the way to go.

Edit: When I get home, im going to download one of those DB measuring apps and see if i can get some readings from that to see how much my headphones are pumping out.

Tried it, but the sound apps are not any good.

Last edited:

jabailo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an Alcatel Elevate with Android 5...and it has the same problem (researching this it seems to affect alot of android phones).

I contacted the manufacturer and they said that's just the way it is...which seems incredible.

I noticed that when I use my music service (Rhapsody) on the built in speaker it's quite loud...so it's only the aux jack.

Some say it's because they don't want people blasting their ears...however, I have this suspicion that it has more to do with using the phone as a music source in the car -- plugging it into the stereo through the aux port, because that eats into their network usage.

Here's the strangest part. I found a way to boost the sound on my phone. If I start the music app, and then minimize it, and then go to the Google search box, and put my cursor in it, to make it active...suddenly the sound goes full volume...it must change it into a different mode from Media. If however, the timeout occurs it goes back to low volume...you have to leave the phone to not lock.

If someone has a better solution I'd like to hear it. The fact that it happens so often with so many phones for so long a time should give one a reason to pause though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777