I didn't know this about fingerprint scanner

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
On my 2nd day with the phone I thought my fingerprint scanner had a problem because a couple of times it took me 2 tries to unlock with it. But after paying closer attention I realized every time it failed to unlock it vibrated twice. When it was successful it vibrated once. Then I realized that the double vibrations only happened when I didn't actually have my finger on the scanner, just the very edge of it. So basically the fingerprint scanner alerts you with the double vibration when your finger isn't actually on it. It's obviously intended but I don't remember reading about that anywhere so I was briefly confused until I figured out that was what was going on. Just thought I'd add this in case anyone else is worried that their fingerprint scanner isn't unlocking their phone properly.

I would also suggest adding a backup PIN or other method besides just the fingerprint scanner. That will provide some added security without being inconvenient because you only have to enter it once on startup when the phone is completely powered off. After that you only need the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen until you shut the power completely off again.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
You cannot activate the fingerprint scanner unless you choose one of the the other unlock methods first so you always have a backup. If your phone is locked and you want to use the other unlock method, just swipe the fingerprint icon up and you will be prompted to use the alternate unlock method.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
The double vibrate isn't strictly saying "your finger isn't fully on the reader" but rather just a general "did not successfully read finger, try again". It's nice to feel the double vibrate because it helps me know what's going on without having to think about it. That said, the fingerprint sensor is so good it almost always reads my finger unless I do miss the sensor (or touch a weird part of my finger to it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez